Max speed of blu-ray media

vbimport

Hi, I’m newbe. :slight_smile:

I’m just looking for a good blu-ray recorder.
Since now, I just used DVD-RW to backup DSLR photos and AVCHD files. BTW that was too big to store in DVD+R media(4.3Gb).

So I decided to change my backup storage pattern to blu-ray system.

But One Que.

Does anyone have any idea of maximum speed of blu-ray media and recorder(in the future)?

(i.e. CD: x48~x52, DVD: x16~20, blu-ray: ???)

Now I just saw x14 writer and x6 media.

Is there any possiblity to have x16 or x20 blu-ray writer in the future?

[QUOTE=wmmania;2647362]Now I just saw x14 writer and x6 media.

Is there any possiblity to have x16 or x20 blu-ray writer in the future?[/QUOTE]

Good question, i will say that higher speeds will be possible if we have better quality media, 14x and probably anything higher is useless if you can achieve it only with very discs.

52x CD-R writing was very common. Lite-On IT, Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics… and most other big CD-R writing drive manufacturers supported the speed, but higher, some insane, speeds existed. For some years, 52x was the most common simply because the three companies with the largest market share had to say 52x instead of 48x or 32x as long as the OEM cost of each CD writer unit remained around US$10 - almost no difference between a 48x writer and a 52x writer. However, the original 1x CD writing was meant for CD for music, the Compact Disc Recordable format licensed by Philips and Sony, rather than for PC data backup. It had to be very conservative - writing about 150 kilobytes of audio tracks or data per second at about 300 RPM. Some CD writers had to spin at over 10,000 RPM to write at 52x speed and LG was somewhat better at maintaining their drives more silent at the maximum writing speeds.

It was much different with Blu-ray.

12x Blu-ray writing is already about ten times as fast as 48x CD writing.