Max Payne is a pain

Hi All,

I am facing a strange issue. I had purchased the game Max Payne. Somehow, my kid brother managed to scratch it and it would’n work. So, I had to buy a new one. To be on the safer side, i thought that I would make a backup copy this time. However, I made six coasters instead of a backup copy of the disk using Roxio Direct Cd. The copy would be made, and the game would install, but i could never play from the same disk. it would always hang my system. Then some one told me about CloneCD and that it would make an exact copy of the disk. However, the disk that I made using Clone Cd did play, but I could not install from that disk. I used to get an error some 03.cab file or something was missing. I went to the http://www.talonsoft.com website and it was the first FAQ there which said that the disk was bad and had to be replaced. Also, when I play from the original disk, everytime, I quit the game to the desktop and the system crashes. I have applied the Max Payne v1.02 patch. However, it was unable to resolve my issue and my system still crashes when i exit. I just don’t understand what I am doing wrong. Please help.

Sys specs.
500 Mhz. PIII
16MB Matrox G400 3D Accelerator.
20GB Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA100.
256 MB RAM.
Win Me with Direct X 8.0
Matrox driver version. 6.51.:frowning:

It happend to me to but I managed to find the right settings:

Read
speed 4X
FES on
FES settings
Error corection software
read retries 3
everything else off

Write
Speed MAX
AWS on
don’t close… on
everything else off

The problem you’re facing here is that Max Payne is copy-protected with so-called SafeDisc 2. There have been a lot of posts regarding the protection but I would suggest you read these two articles explaining what the protection is and how you should deal with it:

SafeDisc 2 explained and defeated
New CloneCD options explained

Hi, all.

Thx for the info. I did what was suggested. I have a HP cd12d 12X/10X/32X EIDE cd writer. Is that safedisc 2 “compatible” because the article said that there are writers that are safe disc 2 compatible and that only some writers can use the AWS feature. I’m a bit confused. What exactly does this mean. I searched the net and am unable to locate any information regarding my writer. Is it my writer outdated? I want to get this information right before I burn another Cd-r. I hope I do’nt get a coaster this time.

Thx,
Aquarius.:rolleyes:

As far as I know HP don’t produce an SD2 burner. You could try betablocker get it from www.ghostcdr.com/ I have an HP 24x4x4 and that does not burn sd2 but it does sd1 - Encarta. My 24X Liteone burns and reads Max Payne in around 11 mins

The links mentioned in the article should have pointed you to the right place… The HP’s cannot do SafeDisc 2 properly without a little help. You might want to try BetaBlocker like suggested but I would recommend you first take a look at www.leech.at/sd2brenner to see if your writer works with the AWS function and if so use this instead of BBlocker.

You can find info on AWS in the mentioned article-links.

Hi all,

I tried the suggestions that were provided to me. But still no luck. I used BetaBlocker to patch the image file that I made of the CD using CloneCd. However, the same issue persists. I can play the game using that CD, but I cannot install the game using the Cd. I get that same annoying data03.cab error . I just can’t get a way around it. I am using my Samsung SC152-C CD-ROM drive and to make the image file in Clone CD and my Hp CD12 Cd-Writer (12X/10X/32X) to write the cd. The read settings are
Read Speed - 4X
Error Correction- None.
Read Retries 3

My write settings are
Write Speed Max.
AWS ON.

I also tried using another software called Cd-Mate and used is internal SafeDisc2 wizard to burn the image. However, the same issue happened. I just can’t understand why is this happenning and in the process I am making more coasters than ever. Please help.

Thx,
Aquarius.

Aquarius I think you’re jus out of luck… The HP’s can’t handle correct EFM encoding nor (like it seems) does it work with CloneCD’s AWS function. You can use DAEMON Tools to emulate the SafeDisc 2 protection… Sorry :frowning:

Hi all,

Thx for the reply. Can anybody recommend a good cd-writer which will take care of these protections or whatever without any problems.
Also, what settings do I keep if I am copying a movie VCD (VideoCd version 2.0 ) in Clone Cd.

Thx,
Aquarius.:frowning:

Originally posted by Aquarius
Can anybody recommend a good cd-writer which will take care of these protections or whatever without any problems.

the liteon 24X or the plextor 24X
will do the job

Hi all,

Would the Plextor 24x/10x/40x/ take care of the protections? Is it worth buying? I’m asking this as it costs some serious money.

Thx,
Aquarius.

:slight_smile:

Merry Christmas

yes
the plex will take care of all the protections
and its definetly worth the money (or so I heard
I dont own this drive but I heard great things about it)

Or go for the Lite-On… It can do the same things as the Plextor but it costs less. It’s a great drive as I’ve heard and read on numerous forums, websites and reviews.

Hi,
Long time, no post. Okay, can anyone tell me if the Plextor W2410TA and the Plextor W2410A different? Also, if it is what is the difference? Which one of these is going to make a SD2 backup properly? Also, is the Firmware 1.02 applicable (if) to both these drives? Is it that only the model#'s are different or are there any significant differences (if applicable) in these two?

Thx,
Aquarius.

:smiley:

Okay, can anyone tell me if the Plextor W2410TA and the Plextor W2410A different?
Yes they’re different drives but with the same capabilities. I sugest you read some reviews on both drives and make your decision based on that. You can find reviews on CD Freaks and CDR-Info.

Which one of these is going to make a SD2 backup properly?
Both will do the job just fine.

Also, is the Firmware 1.02 applicable (if) to both these drives?
No only to the Plextor. Lite-On uses a different firmware with different version numbers. The latest firmware for the Plextor is 1.03 and for the Lite-On R245S54.

Hi all,
Thx for the reply Gamefreak. I do not understand one thing, you said that the Plextor W2410TA and the Plextor W2410A are different, I can understand that, but where does Lite- On come in here?( as you mentioned in your reply). Is any of the above drives manufatured by Lite-On.? If yes, which one? Also, I visited http://www.cdrinfo.com/ and read the Plextor2410A review there. In one of the screenshots, it shows the model # as PX-W2410TA on the top of the writer (very fine print) while on the front tray (front bezel) of the writer, it is written as Plexwriter 241040A. I am confused. Also, what is the TLA#? What difference is there between TLA#0000 and TLA#0001? Does it matter when making backups of SD2 or Laserlock 2 whether this TLA# will zilch the backup? Can this TLA# be upgraded? If yes, how?

Thx,
Aquarius.:confused:

Grab the lite on…241040…you won’t be disappointed…I’ve been down the road for 3 days deciding, and got this one…I just burned my first sd2 disk, and as far as I can see, everything runs fine…freaks helps:) make sure and READ a lot first…the important thing about burning is UNDERSTANDING…I found that out, as I am reading and learning and understanding more and more everyday…as far as the drive goes, the plex, and lite on are very simular…but the lite on is far less in cost…try www.newegg.com they are great!

Originally posted by Aquarius
[B]Hi all,
Thx for the reply Gamefreak. I do not understand one thing, you said that the Plextor W2410TA and the Plextor W2410A are different, I can understand that, but where does Lite- On come in here?( as you mentioned in your reply). Is any of the above drives manufatured by Lite-On.? If yes, which one? Also, I visited http://www.cdrinfo.com/ and read the Plextor2410A review there. In one of the screenshots, it shows the model # as PX-W2410TA on the top of the writer (very fine print) while on the front tray (front bezel) of the writer, it is written as Plexwriter 241040A. I am confused. Also, what is the TLA#? What difference is there between TLA#0000 and TLA#0001? Does it matter when making backups of SD2 or Laserlock 2 whether this TLA# will zilch the backup? Can this TLA# be upgraded? If yes, how?

Thx,
Aquarius.:confused: [/B]
Sorry I misread your post :o You asked if the Pextor PX-W2410TA and the A version were different. I thought I read the Lite-On since we get a lot of questions on them. Basically there are two major brands at the moment that can handle SafeDisc 2 without problems: the Lite-On and the Plextor 24x.

For the Plextor there’s no difference between the TA and the A version. Both are the same. Also the 24/10/40 is the commercial name for the drive I believe. All notations mean the same drive:

PX-W2410A=24/10/40A=PX-W1410TA

What TLA# is can be read here. This is very short though but basically TLA# stands for the hardware revision (eg. later PX-W2410A have no fan while the first TLA#0000 do have one) and the differences are very minor.

So TLA# cannot be upgraded. Firmware versions on the other hand can. The latest firmware for the Plextor is 1.03 as I already mentioned.

You could try a generic Safedisc 2 crack. If you don’t have one, check out http://www.megagames.com

Aquarius, there have been many rumors about different tla#'s and their respective capabilities. i have px24 tla#0000 and my brother bought one well after me and his tla#0100. both copy everything under the sun.

quite simply, the tla# thing is a none issue and has been proven to be a none issue many times on this very forum! it is more expensive however plextor support is amazing. they upgrade their firmware constantly and with the help of other cdsfreakers:cool: coasters remain a thing of the past.

the lite-on drive is also a very good drive and much less expensive, but from what i read, there are more hassles with the drive conflicting with some systems.

i just helped a friend purchase a new computer and it came with a lite-on 16x. i told him to upgrade to a 24x for a mere $50 cdn because it will copy sd2 (he has no idea). he gets his system on tuesday so i will finally be able to compare the lite on and the plextor for myself and answer the plethora of questions i once had.

sorry for the long post but that’s my $0.02!