Max 1.0X Read Speed In ImgBurn

Hi Everyone,

A friend gave me a few LG drives. I have in my system (3x) LG GH24NS90 and (1x) LG GH22NS50. So I have a total of 4 LG drives.

The three GH24NS90 will not read above 1.0x (same disc). I don’t know why this is? However, the GH22NS50 will read way above 1.0x …nearly in the 10x range.

Using the same DVD disc …

ImgBurn shows the following information when I place it in the GH22NS50drive:

==================
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 TN02 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,289,328
Size: 4,688,543,744 bytes
Time: 508:46:28 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Read Speeds: 2.4x, 4.8x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 16x
Current Read Speed: 6.6x - 16x

==================

Now, for the three LG GH24NS90 drives, I get the following for the same DVD disc:

==================
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90 IN01 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 2,289,328
Size: 4,688,543,744 bytes
Time: 508:46:28 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Read Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x, 14x, 16x
Current Read Speed: 1x

Notice that the current read speed is: 1x.

When, I actually try to read the disk, it slowly starts to ramp up until it hit the 1.0x read speed. And it will read any faster than 1.0x!

However, when I read the same disk in the GH22NS50, it averages about 10X read.

What bothers me, is when I insert the same disc in all three GH24NS90 drives, it always says current read speed is: 1x. And true enough, it never reads more than 1x.

What drives the “Current Read Speed”? DVD drive detection of how fast it can read it? Or?

On the other hand, if I due a benchmark test with Nero DiscSpeed, the three LG GH24NS90 have a high data rate. You can hear the drives just spin up and start reading. But, in ImgBurn…I can never get it to read a DVD faster than 1.0x.

Any ideas would be great!

This is covered here - http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=21047

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2675758]This is covered here - http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=21047[/QUOTE]

The author of ImgBurn himself…Lightning UK! :slight_smile:

So I read the thread …

I am sure you can understand the frustration that users are having with the LG drive. The GH24NS90 is a capable drive, but it seems it doesn’t come without it’s own issues.

Thanks for the link! After reading, it would seem my disc drive is properly installed. I’ve done everything on my end correctly. The fault then lays [B]not [/B]with ImgBurn, but with the firmware of the drive itself.

Or rather, it’s this new “Silent Play” technology that is causing it. I have multiple drives, and prior to my post, I was thinking it was the “Silent Play” feature too which was contributing to the problem. I read on LG’s website yesterday:

“The Silent Play technology helps reduce the noise during playback by recognizing the different multimedia and automatically adjusts the playback speed according to its criteria for optimal performance” So I thought, usually you’d want such a feature when watching a movie. So playback would probably be at 1.0x when watching a movie. Then I thought…well maybe ImgBurn doesn’t support this new technology and is throwing off ImgBurn?

But, it sounds like it’s more like ImgBurn does handle it properly, but the firmware isn’t providing correct playback characteristics back to ImgBurn.

What I didn’t see in the link you gave me is a solution? The only solution that stands is you will be providing an update to ImgBurn to support the bug with the LG firmware to support SilentPlay.

However, you said that you have a workaround too,

I believe I’ve found a workaround so now I’m just messing around with it. It’s looking good so far though:

19:14:17 Average Read Rate: 14,978 KB/s (10.8x) - Maximum Read Rate: 22,492 KB/s (16.2x)

So is there a workaround for us ImgBurn users. Or, is the only solution to wait for an update to ImgBurn? And will there be many months before ImgBurn has an update to deal with LG’s drive bug?

Or, does anyone else know if there is anyway to flash a different firmware version onto my LG drive?

I appreciate the response. Before my original post, I searched all over the web (including the ImgBurn forum) and didn’t really find anything in regards to slow speed issues that I was experiancing. But it’s good to make it clear that it’s not ImgBurn, but the drive itself where the problem is.

I like ImgBurn. It’s why I’m trying to figure out why ImgBurn and my drive are locked at this 1.0x speed. It is truly horrible!

If you can use version 2.5.6.0 for now that is what the poster with the problem on the ImgBurn forum is going to do.
This might work for you for now.
Here is a site with the download:
http://www.oldapps.com/imgburn.php?old_imgburn=6666

[QUOTE=JasonCA;2675844]However, you said that you have a workaround too, So is there a workaround for us ImgBurn users. Or, is the only solution to wait for an update to ImgBurn? And will there be many months before ImgBurn has an update to deal with LG’s drive bug?
[/QUOTE]

The real solution is to wait for an update to ImgBurn. Hopefully it won’t be too long now until the next release.

As mentioned by cholla, you can use v2.5.6.0 - but that only works because it seems to avoid the slowdown to 1x (probably because it doesn’t detect the supported read speeds). If the drive gets into 1x mode, neither version will get it back out of it… that’s where the next version (v2.5.8.0 or whatever) comes in.

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2675862]The real solution is to wait for an update to ImgBurn. Hopefully it won’t be too long now until the next release.

As mentioned by cholla, you can use v2.5.6.0 - but that only works because it seems to avoid the slowdown to 1x (probably because it doesn’t detect the supported read speeds). If the drive gets into 1x mode, neither version will get it back out of it… that’s where the next version (v2.5.8.0 or whatever) comes in.[/QUOTE]

Hello Lightning UK,

Though I understand the new version of LG’s SilentPlay is not playing nice with ImgBurn, I decide to try v2.5.6.0.

Unfortunately, even with the older version still won’t read faster than 1.0x. On the right side, whenever I select the drive, it also says “Current Read Speed: 1x”. I’m not sure if that means ImgBurn won’t attempt to read faster than 1x? I’m also not sure if perhaps this implies that my drive is stuck in a 1x mode now?

Are there any new Beta’s of ImgBurn scheduled? Do you have any rough idea as to when the next version of ImgBurn will be released? Are we talking about possibly in 1 month? 6 months?