Matsushita UJ-845-B / UJ-85JS

vbimport

Hi guys, I just purchased a new Matsushita/Matshita/Panasonic DVD-RAM drive for my latop but I am having a bit of a problem with it. The drive label says that the drive model is UJ-845-B but the firmware reports the drive as Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-85JS.

This is not so much the problem, the problem is that my bios is not detecting the drive on my secondary IDE channel at boot time so I cannot boot any discs with the drive which, I really need to do. When in windows the drive is installed and usable.

I believe that the problem may be that the firmware setting for Master/Slave/CS may be incorrect but I have no way of checking this. I cannot flash the firmware using the tools for a UJ-845-B drive as it says that a compatible drive is not connected.

ANY help would be appreciated here, if anyone can explain the mismatch in sticker/firmware? Tell me where I can find appropriate firmware? Or even give me advice on how to extract the firmware? I’m not averse to patching the firmware myself!!!

I should also point out that my laptop has no floppy drive making this all the more difficult…PLEASE HELP!!!

Thankyou in advance!

Hi and Welcome!

as you just bought the drive, return it to the vendor for a working replacement. There is no need to fiddle around with the non-working drive.

Michael

Unfortunately I bought the item from an ebay seller in (supposedly) new condition and as far as I can tell he is just an independent seller. I have emailed him to ask if he will take the drive back but it remains to be seen.

Incidentally, can anyone recommend a good slim slot loading dvd recorder for a notebook? If this one doesn’t work I guess I’m gonna have to shell out a bit more money.

Apart from that I could still really do with any suggestions people have re. my original post.

Isn’t this drive a “super slimline drive”??

I think only LG has also produced such drives besides Matshita.

I would update my laptop firmware first then see how it goes.I got the exact same DVD ram but in a EPIA-EX motherboard.
Your problem is you got no floppy and no cd rom to boot up so I’m trying to think how you’ll update your firmware… Somehow you’ll have to do it in DOS mode. Which Os are you using?

It shows the same label as you UJ-845-B but with UJ-85JS drivers.
And my bios does detect it therefore able to boot up from dvd rom.