Matsushita sw-5584: Suddenly Became a DVD-ROM

I have a Windows XP desktop that I use just for music and temporary backup. But this time I wanted to burn some photos on a DVD-RW. This burner drive worked fine a few hours ago just before I was called away and then powered off the pc. But now Windows Explorer only sees it as “CD-ROM drive (though it does play DVD movies). What are the most likely causes for this? Please enumerate. And if one is a damaged driver file please tell me where I can download and where to install it in Windows XP. Thanks .

I would uninstall it in device manager, restart the PC.

I agree with pjtec44… Most likely, the device is using the wrong driver. Uninstalling it and restarting the PC will force a reinstall and should restore the normal functionality.

There’s something wrong there, ‘cause Windows uses the same driver (cdrom.sys) for all optical drives, and the drives’ capabilities are actually reported to Windows by the drive’s firmware. Agree though that removing and reinstalling the device is a good move; not because it will replace the device driver, but rather that it will force Windows to re-enumerate the drive and identify its capabilities.

Also through the years I’ve sometimes seen optical drives displayed on the desktop as “CD-ROM” until you insert some other kind of media into them and then the icon and label changes to reflect that.

What exatly happens when you try to write to a DV-RW using this “CD-ROM” drive? What software are you using?

1 Like

I think that I first loaded a DVD + RW but Explorer and when I tried pasting a file to the disc Explorer then said this disc is write protected-though I know that I never made it so and that there was plenty of disc space left on it for more writes. Then I tried a DVD-RW; same problem. Then a CD-RW; ditto. Then just to see if the drive could work at all I loaded a Fox DVD movie but it played normally via VLC player. So should I now ty uninstalling the driver, restart Windows? But if problem remains then what?

The procedure would be to go to the Windows Device Manager, find the drive under the storage section, uninstall/delete it, power down, and then reboot. Upon reboot, PnP will re-detect the drive, determine its capabilities, and enter a new entry in the Windows registry.

If that does not restore write capability it is possible there is a hardware problem with the drive.

I’m also a bit curious how you ended up with fitting a Blu-Ray combo drive in Windows XP, which would seem kinda wasteful as XP does not have native support for the UDF file systems that BD uses.

Thanks, I’ll try this. Yes, I purchased that drive way too long ago not to get screwed with a high price for it; some store called Saitech, I think. I was then under the impression that Matsushita drives where gold winning performers and wanted to get one for a future desktop while supplies lasted. Indeed, if it’s not damaged I may put it in the HTPC that I’m finally getting around to building, though I suspect that LG drives today are more reliable anyway.

Uninstalling the optical drive driver file and restarting Windows XP didn’t restore the BD burner’s write enable status.

Right clicking still shows it to be recognized as a CD-ROM; nor can I paste a file to a DVD-RW disc in it without Explorer saying that it’s write protected.

Oh, well … thanks for the followup.

If you have the ability to try a non-Windows OS (e.g. booting a Linux ISO and trying to burn from there using Brasero) it might help distinguish a software from hardware issue.

If it’s a hardware issue, besides checking the data cable I don’t see much else you can do except replace the drive. Internal LG SATA burners are about US$20 here on the shelf at Micro Center.