Matshita uj 846 - remove region code (Panasonic UJ-846)

vbimport

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Panasonic UJ-846. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]Is there a way to remove the region code from my Matshita UJ 846 DVD burner in my Lenovo T61 laptop?

Hi and Welcome![quote=rm1502;2139162]Is there a way to remove the region code from my Matshita UJ 846 DVD burner in my Lenovo T61 laptop?[/quote]No, there isn’t. You’ll have to rely on software solutions.

Michael

Thanks Michael.

I asked because I’m trying to back up Monty Python’s Holy Grail and Life of Brian movies. They are region 1 and my drive is region 4, but DVDFab Platinum will not remove the coding. I tried full disc, main movie and clone, even changing to imgburn and doing an ISO burn. But nothing works. What else can I try?

@ rm1502,

Unfortunately Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Free (RPC-1) Firmwares are not available and will not become available and also all “Software Solutions” alternatives are also unable to circumvent Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions.

It is a well known documented fact that Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions are unable to be circumvented.

Your alternative is to either live with Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions or purchase a DVD Drive that Firmware modifications are able to remove Region Code prohibitions.

Regards,
bjkg

[quote=bjkg;2139203]Unfortunately Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Free (RPC-1) Firmwares are not available and will not become available and also all “Software Solutions” alternatives are also unable to circumvent Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions.[/quote]so even stuff like AnyDVD will fail? I haven’t expected this. :confused:

@ mciahel,

Yes AnyDVD and ALL other “Software Solutions” alternatives are unable to circumvent Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions.

If you look through old AnyDVD Forum postings of a couple of years ago by SlySoft’s Tom [SlySoft Technical Staff Member] he has a very descriptive posting explaining in detail why Firmware Modifications and all “Software Solutions” will be unable to circumvent Matshita / Matsushita / Panasonic Region Code prohibitions.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg, I changed my burner’s region code to successfully do the 2 movies, changed it back and now I only have 1 change left. So if I get more movies from another region I’ll have to consider buying that different burner. Can you suggest a good one to get? I’m in Australia so will that influence what to get at all? By the way my burner’s model is actually UJ 862 dual layer. Doh!

Cheers,
Rob

[QUOTE=mciahel;2139216]so even stuff like AnyDVD will fail? I haven’t expected this. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the Matshita curse so far…

So - does anyone know which DVD drives are a good replacement for these Matshitas? Physical limitations on the Lenovo T61 and R61 make the choice small. Can you help?