Matshita uj 841s can't read DVD R/RW or audio disks

Hi All,

I’m having trouble with my brand new Toshiba laptop with a Matshita UJ-841S DVD burner. It does not recognize all the media it’s supposed to – here’s how it reacts:

1. Audio CD’s – does not recognize them, reports I/O error when icon is clicked in My Computer
  2. Data CD’s – can read and write
  3. DVD’s (movies etc.) – can play them
  4. DVD writables: tried Maxell 8x DVD+R – hangs My Computer window if it’s open, have to close it by force; also tried Imation DVD-RW, does not recognize it at all

So basically I’m having trouble with DVD (re)writeables and audio CD’s. There is no updated firmware for this particular drive to be found. I downloaded all drivers pertaining to CD – DVD from the Toshiba website and it did not help.
I’m thinking about exchanging the laptop, but today is the last day I can do it in the store where I bought it – so please help!

Thanks,
Jelena

Use a proper burning app, otherwise you cannot use/write recordable DVD.

Thanks for your response … I did use a burning application, which as I said didn’t recognize the blank DVDs … I then re-installed Windows and now the application can see the DVD and write on it; however unless I “close” the disc for writing, the Explorer or the application cannot see its contents. Any suggestions? Also, still unable to read audio CDs.

Thanks,
Jelena

The used app has to be an actual version or it cannot detect the drive.

At the risk of sounding completely clueless, what is an “actual version”? How do I check this for a particular application? I used the burning application which came with the laptop (“Toshiba Disc Creator” – which is probably installed only in this line of laptops and nowhere else). I was afraid to install any other applications, since it looks like from other threads in this forum that the software itself can cause problems.

Also, this I presume has little to do with the comp. not recognizing audio discs
– is this a separate problem or may they somehow be connected?

Thanks again for your time.

Jelena

Some 3rd party software lurking in the background can make some media “invisible” and create other issues.

Use Imgburn - it is free and powerful and superb too!

Hi All,

I started this thread some time ago – my optical disc drive won’t recognize certain types of media. The situation has improved somewhat since now I’m able to burn DVD’s, but the drive still doesn’t recognize original CD’s without copy protection (e.g. audio discs, application installation CD’s etc.). It does recognize CD’s that were burnt on blank media and original DVD’s. Any thoughts on this peculiar selectivity?

Many thanks,
Jelena

It could be that the UJ-841 drive is not compatible with your Toshiba. Take the computer back and tell them that you need a drive set to master. Otherwise it could be a software problem. Formatting helps to get rid of the "3rd party software lurking in the background " :slight_smile:

The protection is the problem then, and any manufacturer will tell you you should install a firmware update to solve this which is “shooting with doves on sparrows” …

may be that s always like this, I also have a pb with UJ 841S, in fact the computer can t see the CDrom drive, and it tells me there is a problem with that driver but I can t update it.
I think I ll end up returning the computer.
At least I ve learnt that Imgburn is a good software to get.

It seems many people have pbs with 841S driver … May be that s because I m researching the subject, may be many people have many problems with all softs and all hardwares.
Anyway it sucks

My Toshiba Satellite has this drive as well. It does not recognize DVD-R or any RW. It will only play +R or commercial disks. Some “Supermulti” drive this POS is…
There is not a firmware update for this drive. As a note of interest, Matshita is actually made by Panasonic…

i belive i have the same drive in my cyberpower laptop, but it could be slightly different. my computer HAS the software for warcraft 3 installed on it meaning that there isnt a combatibility issue with my computer and the drive, and now, i cannot read the disks in order the play the game, it will also not read any other program disk like that

I have a 6 months old Toshiba A100 with UJ-841S DVD drive which was working until recently.We are running window XP service service pack 2. Now when I go to my computor the drive is not recognised. Going to properties with a blank DVD in it shows used space 0 Bytes, Free space 0 Bytes. If we put the same blank DVD in another computor it shows free space 4.38GB. My drive will play a previously recordered DVD Movie or read a CD. When we click on the drive in my computor with a blank disc we get “D:\is not accessible” “incorrect function”. With a previously recorded CD or DVD the disc will open okay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Geoff

I know this is an old thread, but I thought this would be useful:

After getting my Sony VAIO laptop with a Matshita drive in it, I was able to burn things fine. But about a year later (when, of course, the hardware warranty expired), it stopped burning things. I think what happened was that I installed the firmware update for the drive… BUT you are supposed to follow a certain procedure when updating the firmware. I found this out on Sony’s UK site, that had the update, but not on the US site!

I then clean-wiped my entire hard drive, installed Windows XP on it, and then skipped installing most of the Sony drivers. Now the drive burns again, but still will not burn onto DVD+R media (DVD+RW works fine).

In Googling for solutions to this problem, I’ve found that many, many people have had similar problems with Matshita drives - it won’t recognize media, it won’t burn, it will only recognize some media, sometimes it will mysteriously stop burning, etc.

I think that laptop burners are just notoriously bad.

I Have a Toshiba Satellite A100 and I am encountering most of the problems that others in this thread are having.

When I read all of this I am shocked and horrified that Toshiba has failed to rectify this problem.

I have sent Toshiba a mail today on this subject and added a link to this forum basically to air my feelings and ask them what they intend to do. If they do nothing then I will commence my new mission in life to blacken their name and reputation in whatever way I can.

They knowingly sell defective products. That must stop.

[QUOTE=MarkZee55;2294021]I Have a Toshiba Satellite A100 and I am encountering most of the problems that others in this thread are having.

When I read all of this I am shocked and horrified that Toshiba has failed to rectify this problem.

I have sent Toshiba a mail today on this subject and added a link to this forum basically to air my feelings and ask them what they intend to do. If they do nothing then I will commence my new mission in life to blacken their name and reputation in whatever way I can.

They knowingly sell defective products. That must stop.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they only have to provide support for the firmware (of the drive).
Matshita is the manufacturer of the drive and Toshiba puts OEM firmware on it…

[QUOTE=chef;2294075]Nope, they only have to provide support for the firmware (of the drive).
Matshita is the manufacturer of the drive and Toshiba puts OEM firmware on it…[/QUOTE]

That may well be the case but at the end of the day it’s a Toshiba product with parts inside it that are defective. If their tests on Matshita DVD-RAM drives did not show up problems then in my eyes it is Toshiba’s responsiblility to get to the bottom of this and advise through their web site on how to best resolve the issue. Isn’t it strange that there is not a mention on Toshiba’s web site about this issue???

Is it a software problem? Nobody seems to know. Is it a mechanical problem? Someone seems to think so as he/she advised to carefully remove a piece of metal from the disc carriage, thus allowing the CD to spin. Too many if’s and but’s for my liking on this issue and Toshiba should get a grip and notify paying customers of what the solution is. Of course we all know that they will not do that because that would mean tens of thousands of Laptops would then come under repair at their cost because they failed to supply a product that performs as promoted and advertised. I have recently had communications with Toshiba through a series of e mails and they, not suprisingly said, they would not be fixing my Laptop as it is out of warranty. That is fair enough but did they advise me on suitable software or on what the prefered replacement device should be? NO. They are quite prepared to continue to rip off honest and decent people by cashing in on replacing the DVD-RAM device at their service centres.

I have informed friends and colleagues world wide of this issue in the hope that as many as possible forward the email so that this issue gets to as many potential and existing Toshiba customers to make them aware. My next move is to make contact with UK consumer watchdogs who I am sure will take up the case on behalf of UK consumers and pressurize Toshiba into some form of action.

Watch this space…