MATSHITA UJ-810 wont burn

i get this error messages when trying to copy a DVD-R
seek,synch,ATIP or mechanical problem

also ;power calibration area error!!!
what is that??? help

Is this a newly installed drive, or a once working drive? More info about your system would really be helpful as well…

if you post more information on the problem then we might be able to help you :), however my best guess is that its a ATIP problem, so i recoment re-installing a atip driver. :slight_smile:

No offence, but you came up with that how?

Without know the following…

1. new or used?
  2. previously working or new install?
  3. OS and hardware?
  4. Software used?

Just curious///

@ZigZagMan, i have no evidence to say it is a ATIP problem as other than he said “seek,synch,ATIP or mechanical problem” as, atip is a common problem it was my best guess with very little info. :slight_smile:

isnt it ASPI, not ATIP, or am i getting confused :confused:

I have the same problem,

1. new or used? Used
  2. previously working or new install? Previously Working
  3. OS and hardware? Win XP Home, Pentium 4 2.8ghz, on a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV28
  4. Software used? Microsoft Dirver 5.1.2535.0

Can you Help me??

1. new or used? Used? (Computer was shipped with this drive when purchaced new)

2. previously working or new install? Previously Working

3. OS and hardware? Win XP Pro SP2, Pentium 4 2.8ghz, on a Sony Vaio PCG-FRV28

4. Software used? Microsoft Dirver 5.1.2535.0 & Drag & Drop CD-DVD

Hrm, I am having a similar problem. And I thought I was wierd that another person with the exact same machine I have is having a similar problem. So I’ll try to explain everything I’ve done I believe could have messed it up. Every time I try to burn any disk (CDs, CDRWs, and DVDs have been tried). And every time I get “Drive Unit Calibration Errors”. This drive was working and as far as I can tell the only three possibilities are as follows.

A.) I installed the DVD firmware update from VAIO. I thought at the time it was a critical update but while reading the info I realized it increased DVD burning speed to 2x. After a few weeks I checked on the firmware and it appeared to be working fine.

B.) I installed Nero Ultra 6.0 before I even tested the firmware update (no disks at the time), but when I tried to burn something I still got calibration errors (don’t have the exact error on hand).

C.) At some undetermined time in the past (after I burnt the last working CD and before the update) I installed DVDxCopy (I believe that is the program)

The only one I’m sure could have messed up this situation is the firmware. And another thing I just noticed I don’t believe that the drive will even read disks. Nothing even appears on volume information. Well I believe that I’m going to write SONY with this one as my computer is still under warranty. But if anyone has any other ideas I’d sure like to try them before having to give up my baby for a few weeks. After all I use this machine for school and because I have no desktop currently I would loose alot of productivity by having to program in the Computer labs by their schedule.

It is caused by the DVD firmware update. It is a typical error that you have explained. The drive won’t be recognized. Connect Sony.

Good luck.