Matshita DVD+-RW UJ-875S

vbimport

Hi all, this is my first thread and really the reason why I joined the forum. I have a problem with my Internal DVD-RW.

I got a new Dell XPS M1530 (Running Windows Vista Home Premium) laptop in May, this year and up till now the DVD-RW has worked fine but about a week ago I tried to play some DVDs on my system but they kept being ejected, today the disks were not ejected but the laptop did not acknowledge the disk was in the drive, it is the same for CDs and DVDs.

I really have little I.T knowledge and would greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Richard.

Sounds like a failed drive. Your laptop should still be under warranty, contact Dell and get the drive replaced.

I have the same model computer, just a little about my drive.

I started using it extensively for backing up files (and to a lesser extent, re-reading older backup discs that are getting too many scratches on them). I have noticed it to start slipping like I had a Memorex DVD+R DL media in the drive and it spun it and then stopped without anythng being onthe My Computer page. I clicked the icon, it asked me to insert a disk, and automatically ejected it for me. About the third time I had waited a bit, did some stuff on my computer, and had another piece of software access the drive and it started spinning longer this time. Gonig into My Computer it saw it magically again.

Now I run into problems when sometime reading backups I received a “No Seek Complete” or “Track Following Error” message from the software, while this is usually bad/scratched media, I feel sometimes I’m not making the most accurate backups.

I have written many other discs like CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+R DL of the brands Memorex, Sony, Verbatim, and Maxell.

I was going to run a diagnostic on that drive that I believe my computer came with (accessible through the BIOS) and update any drivers/firmware I can after that.

Typical symptoms of a failing drive and/or low quality media. Notebook drives tend to fail quicker than standard PC drives. Especially when used frequently.