MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S firmware

[qanda]This thread is about the Matshita UJ-850S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello everyone
Can you guide me to find a new firmware for MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-850S ???:confused:
Any help will be appreciated.

You have to ask the OEM.

[QUOTE=chef;2189186]You have to ask the OEM.[/QUOTE]

HUH?? :confused:
please explain more

the weird thing that it works just fine with DVD’s, but it identifies any CD-R or CD-RW as a blank disk…
Any suggestions?

[QUOTE=kanawati;2191472]the weird thing that it works just fine with DVD’s, but it identifies any CD-R or CD-RW as a blank disk…
Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Change or RMA your drive (if it is still possible). Unfortunately all Matsushita’s slim-type drives are extremely unreliable.
What fw version do you use now? 1.05 is the latest released version and I doubt that Panasonic will release any newer version at all.

[QUOTE=pepst;2191536]Change or RMA your drive (if it is still possible). Unfortunately all Matsushita’s slim-type drives are extremely unreliable.
What fw version do you use now? 1.05 is the latest released version and I doubt that Panasonic will release any newer version at all.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip, but I’m totally clueless here
how can I know the firmware version? and where can I find the correct firmware? and what is RMA that you mentioned?

[QUOTE=kanawati;2191988]thanks for the tip, but I’m totally clueless here
how can I know the firmware version? and where can I find the correct firmware? and what is RMA that you mentioned?[/QUOTE]

Hi kanawati,
you can check your firmware version in Nero DiscSpeed. But I think you already have the newest fw (1.05) and your problems with CD recognition are caused by your drive’s hardware failure.

[QUOTE=pepst;2192278]Hi kanawati,
you can check your firmware version in Nero DiscSpeed. But I think you already have the newest fw (1.05) and your problems with CD recognition are caused by your drive’s hardware failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization[/QUOTE]

OK, Sir.
I did as you said and the firmware is 1.21, and did some other tests on CD’s and there’s always a “power calibration error”.
is it the time to be replaced ( i had it 7-8 mothes ago)? or you have another solution?

[QUOTE=kanawati;2192654]OK, Sir.
I did as you said and the firmware is 1.21, and did some other tests on CD’s and there’s always a “power calibration error”.
is it the time to be replaced ( i had it 7-8 mothes ago)? or you have another solution?[/QUOTE]
If you purchased your laptop just 7-8 months ago you should be able to RMA it to where you purchased it from. “Power calibration errors” are mostly caused by hardware failures and your vendor should accept your RMA and replace your drive (ask for any Optiarc, LG or Pionner slim-type DVDRW drive, if possible :p)

If he asks for Optiarc, he risks receiving an AD-7530A or 7560A, that are QSI rebadged drives, even worse than Matshita (whch are quite smooth and silent compared to QSI)…

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2192825]If he asks for Optiarc, he risks receiving an AD-7530A or 7560A, that are QSI rebadged drives, even worse than Matshita (whch are quite smooth and silent compared to QSI)…[/QUOTE]

That is good to know. Thanks for the info. Which models of Optiarc’s slim-type drives are made by Optiarc itself?

[QUOTE=pepst;2192713]If you purchased your laptop just 7-8 months ago you should be able to RMA it to where you purchased it from. “Power calibration errors” are mostly caused by hardware failures and your vendor should accept your RMA and replace your drive (ask for any Optiarc, LG or Pionner slim-type DVDRW drive, if possible :p)[/QUOTE]
Thank you all for your replies, but I had this laptop since 18 months. But I replaced the DVD drive 7-8 months ago.
Thank you again for your help… I really appreciate it :flower:
[B]PS:[/B]
I posted another thread about DVD player’s firmware, please take a look, and let me know, ok?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/car-2din-dvd-player-firmware-editor-261104/

[QUOTE=kanawati;2193274]Thank you all for your replies, but I had this laptop since 18 months. But I replaced the DVD drive 7-8 months ago.
Thank you again for your help… I really appreciate it :flower:
[B]PS:[/B][/QUOTE]
You’re welcome. :flower: Is your drive still in warranty period? If yes, try to RMA it, otherwise you have to replace it with a new drive (preferably LG, Pioneer or Optiarc/NEC) or to buy an external drive (likethis one)

[QUOTE=kanawati;2193274]
I posted another thread about DVD player’s firmware, please take a look, and let me know, ok?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f36/car-2din-dvd-player-firmware-editor-261104/[/QUOTE]
I am sorry but I cannot help you on this subject. Perhaps their manufacturer (not seller) could help you - try to contact them.

Hey guys
I bought the TSST drive
what do you think of it?

[QUOTE=kanawati;2198415]Hey guys
I bought the TSST drive
what do you think of it?[/QUOTE]

I do not have good experiences with TSST slim drives, hopefully you will be more lucky. Can you read and burn DVD and CD media with no problems now?

[QUOTE=pepst;2193156]That is good to know. Thanks for the info. Which models of Optiarc’s slim-type drives are made by Optiarc itself?[/QUOTE]

The real Opriarc sold currently are AD-7590/7593 A or S (labellflash or not, sata or ide), AD-5590A (ide) and AD-7630A/7633A (slot-in ide) (12,7mm in height), and AD-7910/13A, 9,5mm in height.
Look at the following links for blue-ray or combo models :slight_smile:

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/products/slim-line-drives/ad-7590a
http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/en/exhibits/slim-line-drives/ad-5590a

I’ve got a TSST SN-S083A (sata version of kanawati’s ?), quite a good performer, read and write well all medias I tried.

[QUOTE=pepst;2200236]I do not have good experiences with TSST slim drives, hopefully you will be more lucky. Can you read and burn DVD and CD media with no problems now?[/QUOTE]

Well… It can read & write CD \ CD-R \ CD-RW \ DVD-R \ DVD-RW quite well. But I have to say it’s a little bit noisy (comparing to the old one). The only thing that I really do hope that it last more than the matshita (I got 1 year warranty this time).
BTW: isn’t TSST = samsung?

TSST is Toshiba Samsung storage technology corporation :slight_smile:
Mine is a little bit noisy too, especially when inserting a disc.

I own a Sony VGN-FE31H notebook which has UJ-850S drive.
The firmware was v1.20. Yesterday the drive suddenly was unable to write CD-RW disks.
I solved this by upgrading the firmware to v1.61
The firmware binary is called EP0000144835.exe and I found it at http://www.sony.co.th/support/download/250925/product/vgn-cr13s?site=hp_en_TH_i
It is a firmware update for the UJ-850U, but it also updates UJ-850S drives.
If the link is no longer active: just google for: EP0000144835.html

You are lucky :wink:
The .exe doesn’t work on my UJ-850S (from a hp laptop) :frowning: