Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-810

I’m new here but have a problem:

I recently got a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-810 with my Toshiba Dynabook e8520cdhy running XP Home SP2. i tried to play any type of

cd,dvd and the rom doesnt read any of it.
I found this forum on google, and another member had similar problems and found out, that a firmware upgrade would help the

drive to recognize newer DVD brands/speeds. I downlaod the Matshita UJ-810B - C102 Only for drives in Toshiba laptop off your

website and all i get is “Target not connected” alert after running the dwonload,i tried running C101 also and i got this

message after running it “the disc tray is closed ,please click the OK button after opening a disc tray” and after i open the

disc tray i get “target drive is not connected” please what can i do as i need to run some program from the Dvd rom and i am

confused.

here is the Discinfo:
DISCINFO VERSION : 1.6.1.6
VENDOR : MATSHITA
MODEL : DVD-RAM UJ-810
REVISION : C101
VENDOR SPECIFIC : 303260KME1407018345
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 256
BUFFER SIZE : 2048KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 2
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : YES
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAR CODE : YES
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : YES
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : YES
CAN WRITE CDRW : YES
CAN TEST WRITE : YES
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : YES
CAN READ DVD+R : NO
CAN READ DVD+RW : NO
CAN WRITE DVD-R : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : YES
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : YES
CAN WRITE DVD+R : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : NO
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 24
MAX CDR WRITE SPEED: 16

please help.email me to: email address edited out

however now i double click on the dvd ram icon on the my computer page,and i get a message D:/ is not accesible,the request

could not be performed because of an I/O device Error,please advice.and please let me know any local dealer that can get me a

spare battery for the dynabook or do i just write the model number for the battery and try shopping for it,thanks.

Lanre.

Edit out your email address so you don’t get spammed to death. Just subscribe to the thread and you’ll get an email everytime someone replies. As far as your problem, make sure there’s no disc in the drive while trying to update the firmware.

ive got a similiar problem how would i go about updating the firmware?

By asking the real OEM of the drive for support and updates.

Ok i am very much a noob with laptops, can you please describe what you mean? i’ve tried the device manager then update button but that found no results

You may contact Toshiba support then.

yes i already posted on one of there forums im just waiting on a reply. ive also noted that most of there bios updates and almost everything else there to do with updates needs to be put onto a floppy drive or a cd but since i don not have either working it makes it a bit hard.

Then create a small REAL DOS partition on the hdd or use a usb device.

In DOS, you can use the funky command SUBST to fake an drive(letter).
> cmd > HELP
or
> cmd > subst /?

Chef do you have msn so you can help me with this?

Sounds like you UJ-810 is not set to master for your toshiba. UJ-850 FW Master drive for example will work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/UJ-850-combo-laptop-drive-Toshiba-master-FW-firmware_W0QQitemZ160063451828QQihZ006QQcategoryZ80200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

well im jsut looking for a fix for all i know it could be somthing else

well when i go into the bios under boot or anything it doesnt recognise the drive. does this mean that its definatly the drivers? jsut asking would it help to let you know its got a port for one of the cards that you put in cameras.

looking at it though primary and secondary ide controllers are enabled so it should show up unless the bios utility is dodgey

If it cannot be recognized and shows IDE #1 ERROR after booting up, then most likely the drive has the wrong firmware on it.

Sory, have no msn. But what exactly do you wanna know?
You may contact me via pm.

Your drive would require an update from Toshiba to work as master drive.

If the drive came with the Lappy, it should be recognized.
Otherwise contact the dealer and the Toshiba support for exchange and help.