Matshi ta UJ850S unable to read certain data

vbimport

HI guys

I have matashi ta UJ850S in my asus c90 laptop…

my problem is that the drive will only read the original discs from any company… if it is a burnt or copied dd or cd, it will not read and when i load up a dvd or cd it will come up as an empty cd and dvd…

i have checked and i do not have any upper and lower filters in the registry.
when i check for the driver update, its updated to the latest firmware…

also is it supposed to be a dvd ram or shud it read as dvd rom drive in device manager… still learning about all this.

also there is a question mark against it in the device manager. I have deleted the driver and rebooted a few times. vista 64 bit and 32 bit ultimate, as i have dual boot will reinstall the driver and same thing again. I have tried to reboot from the vista installation dvd it works… only thing. any burnt dvd or cd, i use sony, panasonic or verbatim… it will not read… sometimes it will not even burn the disc. i used to use nero but now i have got rid of it… currently there is no burning software installed. I also do not have itunes etc as i read somewhre they seem to cause problem as well…

is there something i can do to fix this issue???

I am attaching a screen shot of the device manager view…

thanks, adey…

lot of views. but no reply… any one there who can help me with this???

Try in SAFE MODE and clean the drive.

tried it no luck…
any other options i cud try??

thanks

Maybe you can ask Asus.

I had/ have a Matshita in my Toshiba Laptop.

I’ve begged Toshiba to replace it with something else, to no avail.

It has been replaced and found defective at least 8 times in the last four years.

either won’t read, won’t burn, won’t read all disks, won’t read anything burnt in another machine.

Toshiba found it easier to swap it out over and over and over again.
My laptop is 4 years old now and extended warranty is over. So whatever happens to it now, it will not be replaced. I will burn elsewhere and ‘hope’ it continues to read.

good luck

[QUOTE=delig8dor;2031048]I had/ have a Matshita in my Toshiba Laptop.

I’ve begged Toshiba to replace it with something else, to no avail.

It has been replaced and found defective at least 8 times in the last four years.

either won’t read, won’t burn, won’t read all disks, won’t read anything burnt in another machine.

Toshiba found it easier to swap it out over and over and over again.
My laptop is 4 years old now and extended warranty is over. So whatever happens to it now, it will not be replaced. I will burn elsewhere and ‘hope’ it continues to read.

good luck[/QUOTE]

All Laptop mfg will replace such stuff, its faster & not that expensive as repairs…