Matrix Dual layer DVDs any good?

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA3458904
on this link they are selling 25 packs for 20$ and i tried to do a search but keep getting a blank screen so not sure if its my pc or search is down…but was wondering if anyone has had any success with these?? or waste of money thanks!!

-ryan

Search is b0rked at the moment, it’s not just you :wink:

Have a look on www.videohelp.com to see what MIDs have come up for the Matrix DL discs, whilst waiting for replies. :slight_smile:

Personally I wouldn’t take the chance, and would stick with Verb +R DL, but hey that’s just me.

thanks for the quick reply i forgot about that place :slight_smile: says the media code is RICOHJPND00

There’s someone on eBay with user ID of factorydistributor selling them for $1.65 a disc and the vast majority of feedbacks for the discs are positive. Here’s a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270186471305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

If the media code is RICOHJPND00 is that a positive?

Could be a faked media… be carefull.

I’ve gotten them, and I’m pretty sure they are fake (unless Ricoh Japan outsources to Macau) but they work fairly well. Very few coasters but some devices have trouble reading the 2nd layer.

This is 4th class media & is made to straight into the trash sure they will burn but every single one will skip no matter what you do!! Matrix=:Z:Z

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1935445]This is 4th class media & is made to straight into the trash sure they will burn but every single one will skip no matter what you do!! Matrix=:Z:Z[/QUOTE]

Its easy to say that, it really seems to depends on your drive and how it handles this media, yes pif and pie will be higher because they arent MKM media, but some drives will burn them ok / better than others and some wont even burn at all , i know my pioneer 112 burns them ok and does complete the burn, though the second layer is poor quite a lot of the time.

[QUOTE=Quakester2000;1949741]Its easy to say that, [B]it really seems to depends on your drive and how it handles this media[/B], yes pif and pie will be higher because they arent MKM media, but some drives will burn them ok / better than others and some wont even burn at all , i know my pioneer 112 burns them ok and does complete the burn, though the second layer is poor quite a lot of the time.[/QUOTE]

It really is. :wink:

[QUOTE=Quakester2000;1949741] Its easy to say that. It really seems to depends on your drive and how it handles this media, yes pif and pie will be higher because they arent MKM media, but some drives will burn them ok / better than others and some wont even burn at all , i know my pioneer 112 burns them ok and does complete the burn, though the second layer is poor quite a lot of the time.[/QUOTE]

I have tried this media on a lot of different burners:   Hp DVD 840-would not complete burn,     Benq DW-1640-would not complete burn,     Optiarc AD-7170A-would complete burn but would skip all the way through the whole movie!:Z,     Pioneer DVR-112D-would complete burn but would skip all the way through the whole movie!:Z

So in reference to what you said, it's not very easy to say that because I tried to give this media a chance as you can see, it is just complete trash, I wish it were better because I would buy it since it is so cheap.

Now, honestly, can you get one to complete, & if you can can you get it to play all the way through without skipping through the whole entire movie??:eek: 

BTW: My standalone dvd player is the kind that will play anything & I mean anything, but it couldn't handle the matrix. I also tried to play one pf my matrix burns in my dad's & my girlfriends dvd players to no avail.:sad:

[QUOTE=Barnacle Bill;1934989]There’s someone on eBay with user ID of factorydistributor selling them for $1.65 a disc and the vast majority of feedbacks for the discs are positive. Here’s a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270186471305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

If the media code is RICOHJPND00 is that a positive?[/QUOTE]

Yes this is faked media.

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1949781]I have tried this media on a lot of different burners: Hp DVD 840-would not complete burn, Benq DW-1640-would not complete burn, Optiarc AD-7170A-would complete burn but would skip all the way through the whole movie!:Z, Pioneer DVR-112D-would complete burn but would skip all the way through the whole movie!:Z
[/QUOTE]
My Pioneer 111D burns them successfully, I’ve gone through about 200 of them and only gotten 2 coasters; in fact my coaster record with India Verbatims is much worse. I’ve also burned a few in my Samsung S203B with worse error scans - however they still play fine.

My Panasonic F87 and S52 play them without issue, as does my brother’s RV31. They also read in all my computer drives except the Toshiba DVD-ROM in my laptop. I’ve heard they won’t read in game consoles, either.

I bought all mine at shop4tech.com, I have no idea whether there are different grades of these, or even different manufacturers calling themselves “Matrix.” They’ve all said Made In Macau.

Edit: Make sure you bitset them; the Pioneer does this always, the Sammy does not.

I wish I could’ve got better results like you Mr. Moody cause they are a good deal. I too got mine from shop4tech.

[QUOTE=MrMoody;1950050]Edit: Make sure you bitset them; the Pioneer does this always, the Sammy does not.[/QUOTE]

But even that is no guarantee to success, its still questionable media, and their “quality” can vary even more than relaible DL like Verbatim. :wink:

It’s the same with every Ricoh fake media.

They require an excellent DL burner with a good write strategy for bad quality media, like the Pioneer DVR-112.

But even if you have such a burner, its always a gamble with these discs. Their quality varies a lot, you can get an avarage burn with the first disc of the spindle, but the second one could be a complete coaster.

I have burned about 50 RICOHJPN D00/D01 fake discs, my Pioneer DVR-112 burned [U]all[/U] of them successful, but if you get a bad batch, the second layer is almost unreadable (extremly high PIE/PIF/Jitter).

As a conclusion, I would advise you to buy genuine discs only. In my opinion discs in the middle cost range like RICOHJPN D01 (genuine ones!!) give the best value for your money.

Of course Verbatim MKMs are the best DL discs you can get, but the most expensive too.

This is the first one of thse I’ve burned since posting in this thread. Burned in Pioneer 111D at 2.4X. Burning them in the Samsung 203B creates a big PIF spike at the layer break. IMO the Sammy is pretty useless for DL but that’s another story.

[QUOTE=Womi;1950793]As a conclusion, I would advise you to buy genuine discs only. In my opinion discs in the middle cost range like RICOHJPN D01 (genuine ones!!) give the best value for your money.
[/QUOTE]
Does anyone know where/what brands to buy these in the US? The only ones I’ve seen that I was sure were genuine were Philips brand and cost about as much as Verbatims.

[QUOTE=Womi;1950793]It’s the same with every Ricoh fake media.

They require an excellent DL burner with a good write strategy for bad quality media, like the Pioneer DVR-112.

But even if you have such a burner, its always a gamble with these discs. Their quality varies a lot, you can get an avarage burn with the first disc of the spindle, but the second one could be a complete coaster.

I have burned about 50 RICOHJPN D00/D01 fake discs, my Pioneer DVR-112 burned [U]all[/U] of them successful, but if you get a bad batch, the second layer is almost unreadable (extremly high PIE/PIF/Jitter).

As a conclusion, I would advise you to buy genuine discs only. In my opinion discs in the middle cost range like RICOHJPN D01 (genuine ones!!) give the best value for your money.

Of course Verbatim MKMs are the best DL discs you can get, but the most expensive too.[/QUOTE]

To add to what you said, why would you want I mean anyone want to backup a movie on one of these complete trash disks just to have them not read in a couple of months if that long. Also samsung is not a reliable scanner so those scans might not even be right. The backups are going to skip in a standalone. By the time you spend your time & money on coasters & reburns why not spend the same amount & only have to burn one reliable one once. MKM00x  :iagree: Seriously buying these disks we are just supplying money to companies that sell fake media & therefore telling them to keep selling it to us. Why? I own 7 dvd burners of which 4 of them could complete a full burn on matrix media & all of the burns were completely horrible & would not playback normally.  :disagree:

BTW: Microcenter has MKM001 (MIS in my experience) for 27.99 right now!!! 1.39 per disk. Matrix is 1.25 per disk for 8x & 1.05 for 2.4x. you are only (not) saving .14. How many coasters are in a matrix spindle? How many will burn but will be useless?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0236597

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1952895]BTW: Microcenter has MKM001 (MIS in my experience) for 27.99 right now!!! 1.39 per disk. Matrix is 1.25 per disk for 8x & 1.05 for 2.4x.[/QUOTE]
Compare prices fairly now. Microcenter shipping 5.99 first spindle, .99 each additional. Shop4tech free shipping, and frequently 10% off (like right now for example), and when you say .14 you are comparing 8X price to 2.4X price as well. 2 20 packs of MKM001 (maybe MIS, maybe not) from MC today: $62.96/$1.57 ea. 2 25 packs of Matrix 2.4 from S4T today: $44.55/$.89 ea.

I do use MKM001s for anything important anyway. I’ll be the first to admit the Matrix have compatibility problems, and I knew that going in. But MKM001s are no longer being made in Singapore. Any you might still find are disappearing fast, and the India ones are just as variable if not more than the crap brands. I’ve had 9 coasters in a 50 pack last summer. So these days if you want good stuff, you’re stuck buying MKM003 at a premium.