Matrix Brand 8x DVD-R with TYG02 MID?

Anyone heard of these?
i found a store in canada that says they are NOT manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, but have the Taiyo Yuden media code??
they have “matrix dvd-r 8x” etched inside

here is the media code:

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0D 10 .l...@....R..... 
00000010 66 78 80 00 03 54 59 47 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 fx...TYG02......
 00000020 00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 02 00 06 08 0E 11 ......."" ......

has anyone used these?

I heard of it, but never used. I don’t expect a good quality but worth trying if you can buy only a few. It seems that some manufacturers having problems in receiving 8x support for their media, so they make TY coded disc to ensure 8x support. I’m not sure how TY strategy works for their spedific dye (shouldn’t need some adjustment?). But the truth is far from being “TY asks them to make OEM discs”. I don’t think such a product ever exist.

The biggest surprise is… the store says the truth!!! (I mean… they can cover it by not saying anything.)

Yep, OPTODISC was using the TYG02 MID code on some of their 8X DVD-R discs.
I am not very happy about this. :frowning:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but my friend told me yesterday that the 50pk GQ 8X DVD-Rs that he picked up at the local Fry’s for $25 are TYG02s. He’s able to burn these at 12X with the NEC-3500AG. He had also told me that the discs are labeled “Matrix” on there so that explains everything. I was shocked at first in hearing TY discs going for so cheap but it all makes sense now. GQ uses Matrix DVD-Rs that implement TY media codes. I’m going to snatch a few discs from him to test on 3500AG 2.F8 and post back here with some results.

These are counterfeits from Hong Kong or Tiawan and other forums in Europe have been alerted to them for a while. Stick to authorized dealers like Rima.

Yup, there are so many 8x DVD-R discs out there carrying the TYG02 ID that it is rediculous. IMHO stick to the actual TY discs and just avoid the hassle.

Yes, i have try it and the quality is excellent, sorry to say that but its burning well at my BENQ DW800 A. As long as its produce the result that we required I don’t care even with the fake ID.

Don’t be too shocked; legit TY media goes for $30 for a 50 disc spindle now.

I currently use similar ones (same MID), Datawrite Red 8x -R.
Can be burnt @12x with stock firmware and found no problems so far.

it is not a matter of how fast these discs burn, it is more, in 3 months time are you going to be able to read the data on them, how about in 6 months? I have tonnes of first generation discs that I bought at “bargain” prices because they had TDK codes, and well 3 years later, NONE of the 200 burns I have from these discs work at all.
Don’t be a lame brain, get REAL media, not fakes. In the long run you will be saving your data, and you will not be worried about what drive does the best for reading corrupted data :slight_smile:

Very good advice Ranmacanada, I fully agree with you. You hit the nail on the head with your post.

Edit: Here is an example of cheap media (CD) becoming unreadable after 5 years, in contrast to high quality discs of the same age which are perfectly readable still.

Have a look at a 12X burn I tried with these fake Matrix 8X DVD-R with TYG02 media code. Also note that trying to burn at 12X with the latest Nero will cause an error to pop-up in the middle of the burn. I verified this using my friend and my NEC 3500AG.