Match IFO w/Video/Non-Fatal Nero Error

You guys are so gonna knock this outta the park.

Okay, here’s the deal. Made a vacation DVD using ProShow Producer, it came out great. But then I noticed that the the program I used to mix the audio had a bug and injected a sort of warble into the audio track. So, I remixed a remuxed the audio, same codec and same bitrate, but of course there is a slight difference in the file size now from what the original was. Very slight.

Nero notices this when I burn it and calls it a “non-fatal” problem and burns it fine.

I’ve ditched the orginal show files from Producer so re-doing the show that way is not an option. Too much work anyway.

The upshot is that it plays fine on most players, but not some older ones. I know I have to edit the IFO and maybe the BUP files to reflect the new files size of the actual video files.

I have IFOEdit (believe that’s what it’s called) but no clue what to change. I’m not looking to become an expert, just some guidance on what to change.

Any help appreciated!

Nobody? Really? I’m surprised. Hey Mr./Ms. Moderator, is there another part of this forum or another forum page altogether I should seek help in?

Sounds more like disc incompatibility to me. What type (-R, +R), and what brand are they?

Nah, I don’t think so, they’re -R’s. I’m pretty certain it’s that the IFO doesn’t exactly match the actual show, though it’s very, very close. I need to edit the IFO, and possibly BUP, but you know, you can’t just look at (in IFOEdit) and do it if you’re not sure what your looking at, which I’m not. Thanks though!

[quote=BriMonster;2046577]Nah, I don’t think so, they’re -R’s.[/quote]No need to be so dismissive. You’re the one asking for help… :wink:

It is well-known that older DVD players can be less tolerant of the newer disc dye types. What do you mean when you say it won’t play on older players? What are the signs and /or and error messages?

Otherwise, to support your assumption of the IFO file being the problem, what is your hypothesis of why the IFO file content should produce that behaviour?

If you want to go along with your big assumption though, just build a new IFO file from the segmented .VOB files using IFOedit (use the ‘Create IFOs’ button), or demultiplex both streams and then use IFOedit to author the whole thing again (Menu -> DVD Author -> Author New DVD).

Sorry, wasn’t trying to sound dismissive, was going for more of a folksy feel! :slight_smile:

Okay, the reason I’m pretty certain it’s the IFOs is that I altered the original VOBs (first post above). What I didn’t mention and should have is that the original disc I created played just fine on every player I tried, the new one did not. Also, I burned several copies, very slowly, just to be sure with the same result.

Upshot is, I’m thinking your IFOEdit idea is the way to go. The DVD has an intro show, one menu screen and four shows.

Do I strip out all IFO and BUP before using the steps above to re-create them? If not, would you please lay out a step by step list of what actions I should take.

Finally, thanks for responding - I was beginning to think no one would!

[quote=BriMonster;2046648]…the original disc I created played just fine on every player I tried, the new one did not…[/quote]But this could be explained by a different disc being used for the copy. You should certainly investigate this first before going for a complex reauthoring scenario.

[quote=BriMonster;2046648]Also, I burned several copies, very slowly, just to be sure with the same result.[/quote]What is “very slowly”? Contrary to your expectations, burning well below the recommended speed rating of the DVD disc is [B][I]less[/I][/B] likely to make it compatible. Can you please just give us the brand and if possible the media ID of the discs you’re using? Use CD-DVD Speed to get this (under its Disc Info tab).

[quote=BriMonster;2046648]Upshot is, I’m thinking your IFOEdit idea is the way to go. The DVD has an intro show, one menu screen and four shows.[/quote]Ah well… IFOedit can’t easily deal with menus and multiple video title sets (VTSs); it is just a basic reauthoring tool for single VTSs.

I would suggest you use DVD Shrink to simply do a basic reauthor: i.e. not applying any compression but keeping all the menus and VTSs. Copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders from the DVD to a separate folder on your hard disk. Then open with DVD Shrink, answer the various questions about where to put the results, and away you go.