Master/Slave Settings

Greetings,

I recently bought a new WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 HDD for my old computer. I secured it into the case, plugged it in and turned the computer on. After detecting the Master/Slave settings, the computer went to the next screen, but would not boot. It asks me to use a boot disk.

I unplugged the new HDD and rebooted, to find that the computer boots fine. Is this a problem with the Master/Slave settings?

Primary Master - None
Primary Slave - Quantum FireballP AS30.0
Secondary Master - None
Secondary Slave - Lite-on LTR48246K

Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)

My MOBO is an ASUS CUSL2-C ACPI Bios Revision 1006.A

My OS is on the Quantum Fireball.

I also get the message Floppy Disk(s) fail (40), can i fix this? I tried it with a floppy disk connected, then disconnected and i get the same message.

Also, i was wondering how i can format the Quantum FireballP AS30.0. I tried it through disk management, command prompt, and right click -> format. None of these work.

Cheers all,
Sian

hmmmmm why you have your drives on Slave and nothing on Master is beyond me.

I dunno much about Master/Slave, and up until a few days ago it wasn’t my computer anyway. Do you know how to fix it? :confused:

Make sure the jumpers on the drives are set to Master and hooked to the [B]end[/B] of the [B]80 wire IDE cable[/B].

The drives don’t have a diagram on them to show which is master/slave, + the WD drive have 5 sets of 2 pins, whereas the Quantum has 4 sets of 2 + 1 single, and the CD-RW has 3 sets of 2… :confused:

Dunno what to tell you as all my many drives(14) have a jumper pin diagram on all the labels or the drive itself.

Success! Well, almost. I found the sticker off the new drive, my brother pulled it off (don’t ask) and found that the old drive had it printed on it. Now, what do they need to be set to.

I drew out the diagrams that are on each. Attached as .doc

EDIT: Do you need the CD-RW one to?

jumper settings.doc (27 KB)

first lets talk about the basics , lets say this is an ide cable
1—2---3 , the 1st (blue) connector goes to the motherboard ide socket , the 2nd (grey,middle one) to the slave drive and the 3rd (black) to the master drive , thats the standard color coding of 80 wires ide cables , in a 40 wires ide cables all the connectors are black but principle remains same as in what connector goes where^ , you must use an 80 wires ide cable for your hard drives otherwise they will run very slow if you dont have one then you can get one from any local computer store , now lets talk about how to properly connect the ide connector to the motherboard/drive,each ide cable have a key as you can see below,and theres a little matching hole in one of the sides (usally upper) of the the ide socket on the motherboard/drive… so youll know how to put it right , some ppl claim it can only go in one way because of this but from my expirence it can go the wrong way too with little effort so make sure you hook it up right

when messing with jumpers,use tweezers

you should connect both of the hard drives on same ide cable and leave the cd-rw on its own (and i suggest youll change the cd-rw jumper position to master) , optical drives jumper positions:
, if you just wanna use your new 320gb hard drive for storage then set it to slave & set your quantum to master , if you wanna install windows on the new hard drive then better set it to master and the quantum to slave then just boot from the windows cd and define its partitions & go for it (and if you dont have too much faith in yourself about not selecting the wrong drive with the important data while installing/formatting then just disconnect your old quantum before you start and keep it that way til its all done) , now lets talk about boot order in bios , if the first scenario is true and you just wanna use the new 320gb for storage then you should set your quantum to be first on the list,otherwise (scenario #2) set your cd-rw first on the list and the western digital on the second (so youll be able to boot from the windows cd… , after the first stage of windows installation,after setup restarts that is you should get into bios again and set the WD as the first boot device) , if you dont know how to set up boot device order then refer to your motherboard manual
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/cusl2c-104.pdf , personally i’d install windows on the new hard drive for better performance (drive have larger cache) , if youll install windows on the new hard drive,you might have some issues accessing files/folders on your old one (ntfs permissions) , that is easy to fix , if you use xp pro then in “my computer” in menu goto tools–>folder options–>view and uncheck “use simple file sharing” then right click the drive and/or folder your havin issues with and click “properties” and get into the “security” tab and set it right… , in windows 2000 you should alredy have the “security” tab without the simple file sharing thing if i remember correctly , if you use xp home then you should use a 3rd party software called file security manager http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/File-Security-Manager.shtml , if you installed windows to the new drive you should delete the partitions of your old quantum (after backing up to cds or copying the important data to your new drive of course) and then re-create it and i suggest sticking to 1 partition considering its the secondary drive then just use it to store whatever

quantum AS series jumper settings
Master

Slave

western digital jumper settings

now about the floppy drive issue,does its led (light) on all the time? if it is then the floppy cable connectors are connected on the wrong side to the drive and/or motherboard , or its loose make sure its tight, if its not any of those then the drive is shot ,just disconnect it and disable it in the bios (i suggest keeping it in the case just so there wont be an ugly hole) , i wouldnt bother with a new floppy drive , yeah they are cheap but these days quite useless

and regarding the format , you cant format the drive that runs the operating system from the operating system itself (files in use…) , it must be done from a lower level , a bootable floppy/cd like the windows cd for example

easterbunny,

Thanks for your help. Both drives are in and working, and I will format later tonight when I find my Windows CD :doh: .

Regarding the floppy disc drive, is there anyway I can startup without a floppy disc drive and not have that error come up?, because it seems that this error stops the computer from going past this screen, and I have to push F1 to make the computer continue booting.

Cheers
Sian

you welcome :smiley: , disable it in the bios , set legacy diskette a/legacy diskette b/floppy 3 mode support - all to disabled , then goto the "boot* tab and set “removable device” to disabled too , just save & exit , that should do it

Thanks, worked perfectly.

Cheers,
Sian