Master or Slave? (by device manager)

vbimport

Hi to ALL,

very apologize, but i cant find. How to know Master or Slave is my dvd-rom?
I read in this forum, that i must go to “device manager”., but i cant find there

Thanks u can help!

In windows 10, you can just [B]right-click[/B] your [B]Start Menu[/B] button and choose Device Manager from the context menu.

If it is not there or you use another version of windows, open control panel, if it is in ‘[B]Category[/B]’ view (not showing icons), Change it to ‘[B]Small icons[/B]’. Locate and click to start ‘[B]Device Manager’[/B]

Sorry for my bad explain.

I use win7. I do right click on “My computer” --> Properties --> Device manager (so where i have to see info about “dvd drive” how it is connected master?, or slave?).

Or maybe i can found in anoher place?

How old is your dvd-rom?
Because if it’s connected with a sata cable to the mobo,instead of a ide cable,you won’t find master/slave settings in device manager…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2766373]How old is your dvd-rom?
Because if it’s connected with a sata cable to the mobo,instead of a ide cable,you won’t find master/slave settings in device manager…[/QUOTE]

TssT corp. TS-L632H (sata 7-8y old)

i must to know master or slave, because r two different firmwares

The motherboard chipset and BIOS presents the SATA devices in pairs as if they were IDE devices (For compatibility with IDE from way back, but I do not know if the latest BIOS editions do that, they used to). In other words, Port0 Master-Port1 Slave, Port2 Master-Port3 Slave and so on.

As far as I can tell, all SATA connected optical drives could be considered Master, not slave as there is only one device pr. cable (CD Freaks, correct me if I am wrong! I am on a tad thin ice).
In comparison, PATA allowed two devices, one Master and one Slave on the same cable.

In other words, if I am not indeed mistaken, master/slave does not matter any more, but to answer your question, check the BIOS and use the information above.

I think the L632H is a PATA slim drive, not SATA, so it matters in this case.

johnnevw, please open Device Manager. If you can find “ATA Channel 0”, right click and select “Properties” (or double-click). Select “Advanced Settings”. Take a screenshot and show us.

If you have “ATA Channel 1”, do the same thing.
If you have a lot of “ATA Channel 0” and “ATA Channel 1”, do the same thing for each.

If you do not have “ATA Channel 0”, but you have “Primary IDE Channel”, do the same thing.

Your screenshots will look like this

or like this

Also, please take a screenshot of the main Device Manager window. It will look something like this:

[QUOTE=Albert;2766389]I think the L632H is a PATA slim drive, not SATA, so it matters in this case.

johnnevw, please open Device Manager. If you can find “ATA Channel 0”, right click and select “Properties” (or double-click). Select “Advanced Settings”. Take a screenshot and show us.

If you have “ATA Channel 1”, do the same thing.
If you have a lot of “ATA Channel 0” and “ATA Channel 1”, do the same thing for each.

If you do not have “ATA Channel 0”, but you have “Primary IDE Channel”, do the same thing.

Your screenshots will look like this

[B]or[/B] like this

Also, please take a screenshot of the main Device Manager window. It will look something like this:
[/QUOTE]

Albert, big Thanks for your helping!

Now i successfully upgrade firmware to SB01, but really i dont know or my decision r correct… deciding that my dvd drive r “master” (4picture, because there is 0

)

Yes, it looks like the drive was set to Master. Target ID = 0 (3rd picture) also agrees (Slave would be Target ID = 1). Since the drive is recognized, there should be no problem.

[QUOTE=johnnevw;2766360]Hi to ALL,

very apologize, but i cant find. How to know Master or Slave is my dvd-rom?
I read in this forum, that i must go to “device manager”., but i cant find there

Thanks u can help![/QUOTE]
Since Sata became standard then IDE connectors stopped being use and the master/slave setup no longer works and doesn’t fit in Sata settings anymore. You change the drive settings in UEFI bios which is drive 0 or drive 1 and so on from there. Also from Device Manager you can choose which drive is F or G drive but if your doing OD boot that can only be set in the UEFI bios not Windows Device manager. Master/Slave was a Legacy device and is not used anymore in Sata chipset in UEFI bios setups.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766416]Since Sata became standard then IDE connectors stopped being use and the master/slave setup no longer works and doesn’t fit in Sata settings anymore. You change the drive settings in UEFI bios which is drive 0 or drive 1 and so on from there. Also from Device Manager you can choose which drive is F or G drive but if your doing OD boot that can only be set in the UEFI bios not Windows Device manager. Master/Slave was a Legacy device and is not used anymore in Sata chipset in UEFI bios setups.[/QUOTE]

The question was resolved, buddy. :wink: