Massive uproar on alleged Windows 10 built-in 'keylogger' feature

There is currently massive uproar on Reddit about a privacy setting of Windows 10. The privacy setting “Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future” is reportedly enabled by default and users now fear Windows 10 is one big keylogger.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.myce.com/news/massive-uproar-alleged-windows-10-built-keylogger-feature-81685/

This is very definitely something that Microsoft should be asking users to opt in to rather than enabling it by default.

I’m not surpised there’s such an outcry.

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” -Benjamin Franklin

Those who in their ill-advised pursuit for partial and temporary security through latest software updates and versions begin using Windows 10 deserve no less than what Microsoft is giving them. I am past caring about these people, there has been plenty of press coverage of the enormous privacy issues associated with using Windows 10 and if you’re still making that personal decision then it’s on you, and no one else.

Businesses and government organizations however should not have this keylogger and I believe Microsoft (realizing it’s a lawsuit in the making) indeed has either removed or set this feature to opt-in on their business/VLK version of this OS.

They’re a bit late with the uproar. That setting has been there from the get-go and is one of the first things i disabled in the privacy tab. M$ has no business with my typing “habits”

True and Cortana is not even working with my language.

This is exactly the reason that I refuse to use W10. I installed the OS and used it on my computer for several months and will say I think it is the best OS Microsoft has developed, with XP a close second.

However, because of the arrogance of Microsoft in its forced update policy and this spying issue, I have downgraded all my computer to W7.

I have installed Linux on a couple of my computers and believe it is a better OS than Windows. IMO, the only problem with Linux is that it is not very user friendly. And the only reason that I haven’t loaded Linux on all my computers is the complicated process of loading programs.

Yeah I think it’s surprising how long it’s taken people to find this out. :iagree:

Oh man ‘dry season’ for news already? :smile:

I mean, if it had taken me TWO YEARS finding an ‘in your face’ setting like that, I would blush in shame :wink: and keep my mouth shut :iagree:

Now then, I have disallowed everything in Privacy settings which means no backround apps and everything else ShutUp 10 skips. In addition, I have disallowed the SearchUI.exe process which effectively means no Cortana and I’ve completely closed down Office to not report anything. No Explorer ‘quick access’, no Taskbar ‘pinning’, no nothing… In other words, I always trade convenience for privacy and security.

I agree with Ch3vr0n, there was an uproar two years ago and that was a legitimate one, but this one is way too late. As Aztekk indicates these latecomers really had it coming as this has been all over the web since the start.

I somehow wonder why we don’t get such an uproar for Android… Your phones are such honeypots, but of course we won’t hear that until there’s a real alternative or they finally manage to implement adequate security and privacy mechanisms like true firewall functionality. Well there are alternatives, but it would mean wave goodbye to all those ‘nifty’ little apps in the process… Would you trade that convenience for privacy/security? :laughing:

I love many aspects of Android, but I can’t say I’ve ever been confident about privacy. Most of the apps on Google play have Google ads, which of course tell Google everything from the apps you run to the frequency in which you fart:blush:. I don’t think there is a key logger on my phone, but I sadly, I have no way of verifying this, since I can’t even get root access to my phone.

I think I disable everything in that Privacy setting already but I will double check.

Windows 10 user may disable the all the settings but what’s to stop MS from re-enabling them with an Update? I have to research this as my daughter just purchased a Surface Pro for her Masters Uni course and I want to know if this “keylogger” is actually disabled. Her device will have confidential information on it and piece/peace of mind is required.

In the last month I had to purchase a new laptop for my wife. I didn’t get the latest model as the 7th gen Intel doesn’t support Windows 7. We are being ever so silently being squeezed to a Linux platform. What MS is doing with Windows 10 reminds me of the frog in the pot of water with the temperature being slowly raised. One day Windows 10 users will get out of bed and discover that MS owns all their data, have agreed through the EULA that MS also owns their hardware and are now paying licence fees for use of both hardware and software.

Well I’ll be dammmed I took a look and with the updates - I thought I had set the settings only to find out “surprise” it was changed back. I was like holy cow what a raw deal M$ dealt for Windows 10 users. So I went about and disabled those settings. And now with the latest update I will reimage and check my settings again and disable those settings again. Looks like for every Windows 10 updates - I will have to go back and disable them. What a Sh(&*(&ty game Microsoft is playing.

Hehehe… isn’t it a POS? Having to fight the working environment on a daily basis that is :wink:

As biggles77 suggests, Windows 7 just ain’t the answer anymore and so you would pretty much swap you Windows/Mac computers and Android/iOS phones for Linux-based alternatives like Netrunner or Mint for your computer… for now. Trouble is when any OS gets big enough to gain attention from investors and secret services, they will become equally bad and so we will have to forever keep running to lesser known territory.

Do we really have to? No, but it would mean you have to gain knowledge and not ‘just’ rely on whatever other people and companies create for your use.
Let me take an example, do you know all the processes that communicates online on your computer? Unless you also control that, the answer will probably be no.

I obviously have some troubles taking the strict subject of the thread serious, but it is to be expected as it is almost two years old. The fact that Microsoft reset privacy and sometimes even security settings during an update has also been known since the start and since it simply does not take any rocket scientist to save user settings prior to the update and apply them afterwards, it is likewise obvious that it is a deliberate action from Microsoft… unless their developers are below par which in my mind would be even more scary.

I’ve written about Windows 10 security and privacy in this thread, but my clear advice as to get more secure and avoid the effect of keylogging activities from even 3rd-party would be to start controlling what processes are allowed net-access (even Microsoft). I have lost count of even the svchost.exe processes that’s either disallowed or constrained to only access my LAN.

Disable it in the settings and then lock it down with a tool like O&O ShutUp10 so that Microsoft cannot re-enable it with Windows Update. Either that, or move back to the old versions of Windows like 7 or 8.1, which have less intrusive privacy features. On a side note, surprised Windows 7 is not supporting the newer hardware, even though Microsoft says it receives updates until January 2020.

It really is getting to be where Linux is becoming the only alternative if you value your privacy - until the advertisers and governments figure out a way to get into that platform too.

I reverted back to Windows 8.1 as I was having lots of driver problems with my wi-fi in Windows 10, and I haven’t noticed Microsoft re-enabling any of the privacy settings I turned off. I check after every update.

Other than the privacy issues mentioned and the driver problem I experienced, it doesn’t seem like the worst operating system Microsoft has put out. But I don’t see any advantage it gives me over Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell. I really wish Crossover/WINE would step it up and get the more popular Windows apps like iTunes working right so that I can switch to Linux Mint permanently.

[quote=“hogger129, post:14, topic:398011, full:true”]
Disable it in the settings and then lock it down with a tool like O&O ShutUp10 so that Microsoft cannot re-enable it with Windows Update. Either that, or move back to the old versions of Windows like 7 or 8.1, which have less intrusive privacy features. On a side note, surprised Windows 7 is not supporting the newer hardware, even though Microsoft says it receives updates until January 2020.[/quote]Win7 is loosing support in 2020 and 8.1 has so much wrong with it that it’s not a good alternative.

[quote=“hogger129, post:14, topic:398011, full:true”]It really is getting to be where Linux is becoming the only alternative if you value your privacy - until the advertisers and governments figure out a way to get into that platform too.[/quote]Linux is not even a alternative-there so much infighting in Linux Distro they can’t make themselves a good alternative.

[quote=“hogger129, post:14, topic:398011, full:true”]I reverted back to Windows 8.1 as I was having lots of driver problems with my wi-fi in Windows 10, and I haven’t noticed Microsoft re-enabling any of the privacy settings I turned off. I check after every update.[/quote]So far I didn’t have to do like you did - I installed on a Dell 1525 that came with XP, Vista I loaded the Vista drivers and it worked fine in Windows 10x64 Pro. You can find updated drivers on the manufacture hardware site rather then looking at the PC maker manufacture. So one needs to do some homework to find the right drivers to work from the hardware maker before saying it can’t.

[quote=“hogger129, post:14, topic:398011, full:true”]Other than the privacy issues mentioned and the driver problem I experienced, it doesn’t seem like the worst operating system Microsoft has put out. But I don’t see any advantage it gives me over Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell. I really wish Crossover/WINE would step it up and get the more popular Windows apps like iTunes working right so that I can switch to Linux Mint permanently.[/quote]I find it far more advantage over Win8.1 without even using classic Shell. I just remove the Tiles and close the open space and it works just like Windows 7 without even having to use Classic Shell. So your over doing it just to make it more customized - I took the time and effort to learn more on Win10 and how to make it customize to look like Win7 without using 3rd party to just make do what I wanted it to do.

What’s wrong with 8.1? With Classic Shell, it works fine. I wouldn’t use it with the stupid Metro/app desktop thing. Linux “can” be an alternative if you can do with their apps, or shell out $60 for Crossover. I’ve used Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu and CentOS. I liked Mint best because the GUI feels the most like Windows 7. Try a few and pick the one that works for you. I have tried the proprietary drivers from Belkin’s website, but my wifi USB adapter just drops out once in awhile. The driver is made for Windows 8.1, but sort of works in 10, until it starts dropping out. Meh, Classic Shell took me 5 minutes to install and configure. I like it better than Windows 10. My settings don’t revert after updates.

There’s in reality only one thing wrong with Windows 8/8.1, everything, Just like Vista was 7 in diapers and unstable as h…, 8 is a 10 wannabe, but never got there.
Sure, 10 puts us in a dilemma and a bit of a us-and-them scenario, but it is the way forward to which we must adhere. It will take some knowledge as to what we need to know to get to where we want to be, that’s all… Just like for any prior operating system. For me, Vista and ME was ‘THE’ worst as they bluescreened ‘all over’, your experience may differ. fwiw, I never got Vista to survive more than three months before facing a reinstall :wink:

I guess I can’t say I’ve really had problems with any of these OSes - XP, 7, 8.1, 10, various Linux distributions, Mac… I liked 7 the best, but 8.1 with Classic Shell works fine for me.

Neither did I in any of these operating systems :iagree:
You mention ‘Classic Shell’ which is good, but the important start menu features are already present in 10. you would not gain or loose anything by going from 8.1 to 10 apart from depriving yourself some knowledge the way I see it, no offense, just my experience.

I do agree however that whatever works in the situation is a good solution OS and/or otherwise. For everyday use we have to point forward which is my take on this :flower:

The problem then becomes once there is no update or patches provide by Microsoft then your living on borrowed time. No amount of I know best will work in this situation you will become the one the malware/virus/webtraps are looking for. So don’t think for a minute they aren’t looking for those users out there. More like they are waiting for you and you will eventually bite that is all it take.