Massive retries and failed discs

I have been having this problem for a while now and the following symptoms are as follows with my Pioneer DVR-215 burner. Whenever I try to use ImgBurn, the Pioneer will always produce a massive number of retries up the thousands even and burn failed discs whilst in the middle of burning. Just now i somehow got the thing to make a complete disc, but alas the disc doesn’t even work.

Now I have update the firmware to 1.22 with the DVRFlash software. I have tried to uninstall the Nvidia nForce SATA Controller drivers but still nothing. I actually have AnyDVD, but even with that I turned it off during the burning process. Now I don’t know what to do.

I am using Windows Vista and have an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe.

It could be due to a bad quality disc. This is a very frequent complication of low quality media.

They are LG discs, and even so, I have burned on these discs before and I even bought the Pioneer because I feel its good and burn well regardless.

LG branded discs are not really the very best available.

To completely exclude discs as cause of the problem, can you try to burn on a Verbatim?

I don’t think the quality of the discs are the issue, because this goes for both DVD and CDs. I’m more concerned on the communication between the burner and the SATA controller. I do believe something is wrong there.

To check if the SATA controller is the cause you can install the drive on an external box and test it via the USB port or, of course, install the drive on a different computer :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=XangelMusic;2485491]I don’t think the quality of the discs are the issue, because this goes for both DVD and CDs. I’m more concerned on the communication between the burner and the SATA controller. I do believe something is wrong there.[/QUOTE]

If the quality of the disc is not the problem then why :

massive number of retries up the thousands even

Seems to me to have thousands of retries is a problem,I would have changed disc at about 10. :iagree:

A Retry is when the ImgBurn fails to burn a sector of the disc. Again as I said in the first post, the ImgBurn would make the Pioneer burner produce massive Retries even up to the THOUSANDS. This means then on the ImgBurn it had failed to burn sectors of the disc properly during the burning process.

Anyways my SATA controllers is now back to some NVIDIA drivers Windows forcibly updated (NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller), but even so my conclusion is to get a new motherboard without the damn NVIDIA and hopefully not another burner.

Hi,[QUOTE=XangelMusic;2486288]
Anyways my SATA controllers is now back to some NVIDIA drivers Windows forcibly updated (NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller), but even so my conclusion is to get a new motherboard without the damn NVIDIA and hopefully not another burner.[/QUOTE]Another option would be just getting a PCI Sata controller card with either Silicon Image 3114 or 3512 chipset that is either flashable to the non-Raid version or already comes as non-Raid (SataLink) out-of-the-box.

Michael

Oh ok. Thanks for that. I’ll definitely consider that.

[QUOTE=XangelMusic;2485356]They are LG discs, and even so, [B]I have burned on these discs before[/B] and I even bought the Pioneer because I feel its good and burn well regardless.[/QUOTE]

You have not, you may have used discs from the same brand before, but not that discs. And disc sources change faster than you might know.

AnyDVD is to disable by default when burning with Imgburn.

You might invest into a non-RAID SATA controller.

If I’m correct AnyDVD disables for all software while that software is burning.
It is only enabled before to remove anything that might cause a problem playing the disc CD or DVD & during a rip.