Mass DVD roms failure

vbimport

Hello i was searching everywhere to get a solution to my problem but i cant find it anywhere, triend also on TechSuport forums but with not luck,
SO this is my problem.when i insert a DVD the green light turns on spins the disk for a few sec and then it just stops, a few days ago it could read 40% of the disks i insert but now it just wont read any disk,

The history .
My 1st dvd rom that came with the PC was a SATA drive Pioneer and it worked fine for 2 years but idk it stoped reading disks properly after i moved to Win7 , it a long time ago so i cant remember 100% if its OS related .

So my friend borowed me his IDE LG drive and it also couldnt read disks properly , the speed was also slow that it slowed down my whole PC.

So i took a brand new ASUS DVD-cd rom of my fathers PC that was working perfectly on his pc and i placed it in my PC, the same problem, the speed was so so so slow that it slowed down my whole PC, it couldnt read every disk even if it was new, had to insert the same disk multiple times to get it working.
So when i enter a CD-Dvd, it keeps spining and spining with the gree light but after idk 15 sec it just stops,

SO now it cant read anytigng i put in it.

My Pc specs.
2GB ram DDR 2, Gforce9800 GT 512, Dual Core 2.2, 500 W Power Suply,
DVD-Cd rw rom, ASUS DRW-1608P3S ATA device
Windows 7, Ultimate 32 bit

Also click on the link to get a screen shot of my full PC specs http://oi54.tinypic.com/2pyook3.jpg

The things you should know, i only have 1 DVD rom and 1 hard disk so i dont use jumpers, the ROM is the Master nad HDD is on slave cause i really cant think of a way for the cable to reach the ROM …, when i try to insert the black end to the HDD the middle end comes bellow the HDD , so its 30 cm away from the ROM so it cant reach it.
This cable

So please help me out.

Also forgot to say that its not the DVD roms fault, they work perfectly , they only not work on my PC, it has to be either a software or a bad cable,install thingy

Also i have just noticed that it reads original disks perfectly , games or PC related

Click on the link in my signature that says Microsoft Support for Optical Drives. Use the Fix It tool at that site and follow their instructions.

Usually the problem is DMA settings. You can also look through Womble’s guide by clicking that link in my signature. Instructions for Vista in that guide should apply for Win 7. The most important thing to look for is Current Transfer Status.

Hi,[QUOTE=BAN_KAI;2560732]
The things you should know, i only have 1 DVD rom and 1 hard disk so i dont use jumpers, the ROM is the Master nad HDD is on slave[/quote]You need to adjust the jumpers on both drives properly! If you didn’t, then you don’t have to ask yourself why there are problems :doh:

Additionally, haveing an optical drive and the system HDD as slave on the same cable, this might be another problem source.

My suggestion:
Check if there is a second IDE connector on your motherboard. If there is, then connect one of your drives there. Of course you need to make sure that the jumpers are set properly.

Or get a new Sata drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2560748]Click on the link in my signature that says Microsoft Support for Optical Drives. Use the Fix It tool at that site and follow their instructions.

Usually the problem is DMA settings. You can also look through Womble’s guide by clicking that link in my signature. Instructions for Vista in that guide should apply for Win 7. The most important thing to look for is Current Transfer Status.[/QUOTE]

i tried mix it and the service is not available now, also tried it before but it cant fix it.also i will try the DMA settings later , 1st i need to install the cables , also what is DMA - Drive M. ?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2560796]Hi,You need to adjust the jumpers on both drives properly! If you didn’t, then you don’t have to ask yourself why there are problems :doh:

Additionally, haveing an optical drive and the system HDD as slave on the same cable, this might be another problem source.

My suggestion:
Check if there is a second IDE connector on your motherboard. If there is, then connect one of your drives there. Of course you need to make sure that the jumpers are set properly.

Or get a new Sata drive.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I was said that i dont need jumpers for just 1 rom so i didnt add jumpers, i only had 1 jumper but its stuck behind the mobo-_-, i will look around to buy more jumpers, also i checked and i only have 1 SLOt for IDE cables on my mobo, and my PC is only 2 years old.

I think i will open now my PC case and try to move the HDD up to the rom drive cause it cant move right now.

There is fix at Microsoft that involves changing registry settings. Some H.P. DVD-Roms have this problem. They are re-badged but I don’t remember the manufacturer. This worked for me: I DID NOT WRITE THIS BUT IT WORKED. The following should be read as a “quote”,…

You can try this trick - It might work - But, only if this is the root cause of your problem:

Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

How CD/DVD issues can occur

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads “The device could not start.” Additionally, there may be an error message that reads “One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid.” The devices themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous warning “Your registry might be corrupted” appears.

Fixing the CD/DVD problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the third-party device drivers. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is what produces the “corrupt registry” warning).

How to fix CD/DVD issues
First Backup the registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
type “regedit” in the Start Run box.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
  3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
  4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
  5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.

• If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
  • If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the
    LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to “Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry.”
  1. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  2. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the “Next Steps” section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer
Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Several of the products made by Roxio are infamous for causing this problem, although in fairness to the company the most recent versions of their Roxio CD/DVD writing software (6.2 and higher) do not have these problems. Users of 5.0 or 6.0 editions of the Easy CD & DVD Creator product, which has been bundled with many new PCs in the past, should upgrade to 6.2 or better. Other programs can also cause this problem, with the same solution.

Note that after you do this, you may lose functionality in the program that uses the filter drivers, which may need to be reinstalled.

I did not write this. It worked for me. You should research Microsoft website and you will see the same/similar procedure. If you are running only a Hard drive and DVD-Rom, you should be able to put the jumpers to cable select and be ready to go. Make sure your BIOS sees the drive.

HELLO and thanks for the fix but i have allready tried that tons of times but in the folder there arent Lower and Upper filters so i guess everything is OK there.

Also i have just installed a older than the ASUS rom and strangely it works, it can read every disk but it slows my PC a lot, when i click a image to open it opens for 20 sec , that happened with all of the drives , only when i am copying or installing something,

Also i have moved my HDD on top of the ROM without screews( if that is the name ) cause i couldnt iject it into the master when it was .bellow , also tried the same method with the other drivers but this one is the only 1 working, so now can anyone diagnose why that NEW ASUS drive doesnt work and that the old works ?? and why its so slow…

Also OMFG the new rom was taken from my old fathers PC and guess what is have found 4 fucking IDE slots , i mean WTF i only have 1 and my pc mobo is newer than his -_-

Well, that’s a start. This may sound obvious, and I apologize if it is, have you tried using another ribbon cable? Have you checked to make sure all the pins are still there on the motherboard? One broken pin can cause really strange problems, as can a faulty cable. I have had both of these problems. Also, check the underside of the circuit board and make sure that all the solder points on the header pins are intact. Cold solders and /or overheated ones will also cause intermittent and strange problems. Just a thought

IDE is basically outdated. The one IDE header pin is for legacy drives. SATA/ESATA rules.

hah well i have 5 IDE and 6 SATA cables and triend everyone of them, also my 1st drive that came with the PC was SAta and i replaced it with IDE.i have checked no pins were damaged or bended, well if this was the only rom that wasnt working i would replace it with a new Sata but i have 4 IDE drives that doesnt work for unknown reasons

[QUOTE=BAN_KAI;2560824]
I was said that i dont need jumpers for just 1 rom so i didnt add jumpers,[/quote]That was false advice.
Having two drives on one IDE cable means, One drive needs bo be configured as master, the other one as slave. Which one is master, and which drive is slave depends on its position on the cable.
Alternatively, both drives can be configured as “Cable Select”, this is an option very often used by OEMs like Dell, HP etc. But in this case also, jumpers need to be set accordingly.

i will look around to buy more jumpers, also i checked and i only have 1 SLOt for IDE cables on my mobo, and my PC is only 2 years old.

Ask a computer shop, perhaps they give you one for free. Or check your local recycling location if you can cannibalize some old computer :wink:
P-ATA (IDE) connectors are being phased out. So, for a rather new computer it is perfectly normal to have only one IDE connector on the motherboard.

I think i will open now my PC case and try to move the HDD up to the rom drive cause it cant move right now.
This is likely not helpful - you need to solve the jumper problem at first.

Michael

Well they were talking about more DVD roms not actually just HDD and ROM sharing a cable and that its necesary to add jumpers, they said only add jumpers if more roms are involved, well now i have added a jumper to the ROM but not on the HDD, shit why did i trop my only jumper behind the mobo xD…

Also as i said before i installed a new drive which can read dvd in 2 sec but it sometimes slows the pc while instaling, also my HDD is now on top of the case, nothing is holding him exept the not used cables.

You have to jumper the devices anyway, even they are only ones on the cable. If you want to use CS, you must jumper the drive accordingly. There is no exception.

i have still not replaced the jumpers , its freezing out there xD anyway
i have replaced the drive and installed a 5 years old ROm which read dvds perfectly, but the speed is unbelivable, everytime i install something from the dvd , or copying something my whole PC slows down, like its Pentium 2 and less, my browser stops respnding and i need 20 sec for it to just open a picture…

Could this be software related cause of the speed ?? also i dont know if this is important but when i format my PC i only install, Graphic,Sound drivers, not the mobo,chipset drivers, are those really necesary ???

Unless your drives are not properly jumpered and connected, any other experiments are simply useless.
But since you seem to have access to several optical drives, it is hard to believe none has a jumper on its back :eek:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2562485]Unless your drives are not properly jumpered and connected, any other experiments are simply useless.
But since you seem to have access to several optical drives, it is hard to believe none has a jumper on its back :eek:

Michael[/QUOTE]

i had 2 jumpers, 1 got stuck behind the mobo and 1 is inserted in the rom , i dont have any others, from your experiance, are the MOBO drivers necesary like chipsets and others ?

Hi

I think you problems arise because your HDD and DVD drive are sharing the same IDE channel.

This information from PCGuide…

[B]Hard Disk and ATAPI Device Channel Sharing:[/B] There are several reasons why optical drives (or other ATAPI devices) should not be shared on the same channel as a fast hard disk. ATAPI allows the use of the same physical channels as IDE/ATA, but it is not the same protocol; ATAPI uses a much more complicated command structure. Opticals are also generally much slower devices than hard disks, so they can slow a hard disk down when sharing a channel. Finally, some ATAPI devices cannot deal with DMA bus mastering drivers, and will cause a problem if you try to enable bus mastering for a hard disk on a channel they are using.

If I have read this thread correctly, your problems began when you swapped out the SATA DVD drive for an IDE DVD Drive.

The solution, since you only have one IDE channel, is to move one of the devices - HDD or DVD Drive - to a SATA interface.

Whichever device you decide to take off the IDE interface will need to be replaced with one that has a SATA interface. This decision will involve a cost/performance trade -off. Replace the HDD which will benefit from the increased throughput of a SATA interface or replace the DVD drive which is probably the cheaper option.

Hope this is of some help

yea i also thought so cause everywhere i go i see seperate conected cables, fuck this small mobo xd, i have only 1 sata drive but it came with the PC 3 years ago and it reads DVDs as empty,

Also i dont know how many slots i have for the SAta, they dont go in the same slot right ? i was planing to replace my hdd cause i only have 80gb.

Thanks for the reply .)

[QUOTE=BAN_KAI;2562489]i had 2 jumpers, 1 got stuck behind the mobo and 1 is inserted in the rom , i dont have any others, [/quote]We know that already. You know what needs to be done. It is totally useless and a waste of time to play with drivers before you haven’t resolved your basic drive configuration problem.
Tear your computer apart to recover this censored jumper.

from your experiance, are the MOBO drivers necesary like chipsets and others ?
Chipset drivers are needed unless they are already part of the Operating System you are using. Of course this depends on the hardware.

Hi and Welcome!

[QUOTE=Asreal;2562536]
I think you problems arise because your HDD and DVD drive are sharing the same IDE channel.[/quote]No. This is normally [I]not [/I]a problem.
The problem is, that these drives are not properly configured. Easily to resolve.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thank you for the welcome, much appreciated.

Yes, I see now that my comment was inappropriate.

The first step, as pointed out in various posts here, is to jumper the drives correctly.

BAN KAI…

1. Get that jumper out from under your mobo and insert it into the Master (MA) position on the back of your HDD.

2. Check that the jumper on the back of your DVD drive is in the Slave (SL) position.

3. Connect the HDD and DVD drives to the IDE cable - it doesn’t matter in which order as long as they are plugged into the Gray and Black connectors.

4. Connect the Blue end of the IDE cable to your Mobo.

5. Power up your system and see how things run.

Let us know how you get on - if you still have problems, we can take you through the next steps to fix this issue.

Cheers

Asreal