MASS Duplication

How many cds (or hours) is it safe to burn at one time?
how long do yall cd burners usually last ?
btw i have an Internal 24x Sony and a 24x Lite On

The burners available in shops are consumer level burners, they aren’t made to be running 24/7 like commercial pressing machines.

Expect to burn about 5 cdr’s, then give it 30mins to cool down again.

Most cdrw drives only have passive cooling, and if they overheat they will be damaged.

Just be sensible about it. And you’ll be OK.

If you are buying drives just for mass duplication, consider getting drives with fans, or at least get some good airflow inside your case.

Originally posted by debro
[B]Expect to burn about 5 cdr’s, then give it 30mins to cool down again.

If you are buying drives just for mass duplication, consider getting drives with fans, or at least get some good airflow inside your case. [/B]

I have put together a Tower burner for work

It has 5 Yamaha CRW2200E’s and 1 Pioneer DVDRW-A04

We have beat it up pretty good making as many as 10 copy’s in a row per burner. No problems yet.

As debro says, airflow is important. I used to keep side panels on it, till I opened it on day and it was like a oven in there. Since then covers have stayed off it and I added a few extra fans and rigged them right behing the drives.

I had kind of the same problem also a while back ago with the side panels being on the box and it was hot as hell in there.
The panel has been taken off and the air is not as hot as it was.
I eventually put a small fan near the outside of the case and it helps alot.

But is something to ponder. When it gets really hot inside the computer, the lubricatiion on the rails dries out. This is a cause of death for a lot of burners. Usually the first error message about power calibration errors will pop up. Sometimes but not all the time it will be because of this.

I usually put my finger on the burner and see if it is very warm, hot or cold, Usually 3 to 5 with about 1/2 hour to and hour cool down time.

Ours has the advantage of being in a tempature controlled enviroment that never get below 70f.

If you dont have that luxury and want to burn a bunch in a row, I definatly agree with the fan method… Cooler the better