Mashita Burners

Hey,

Does anyone know if Mashita UJ-850 or UJ 841s drives support bitsetting or can be flashed with firmware to bitset? thanks!

Welcome to CDF’s:

I would stay away from that brand. I have read nothing but bad things about them.

'Both NOPE.

Matsushita (Panasonic/National) have a history (dating back to 1998 when I unfortunately bought one of their third generation CD writers ) of refusing to release firmwares, even to fix major flaws in their products.

In addition, their laptop drives are successfully the pickiest readers & writers available, and the resultant error rates are pathetic. If it’s any consolation, they will likely never break down, meaning you will be stuck with a useless drive forever.

Avoid these like the plague, they are terrible.

hi!
sounds like this device is none too good but i am stuck with it. any advice on the following?
I have a Toshiba laptop with a Matshita UJ-841s DVD CD RW burner device.
I live in region 4 Australia and also working in South America, go between the two.
I played a region 1 dvd but have been locked out of changes as it tells me there are 0 changes left and the drive is now permanently set to region 1. Not much good for me!
Can I change this back to region 4?
How do I do it?
Regards
Mike

1. Don’t ever post your email address in a public forum. Members aren’t the only people surfing the site. Spambots also patrol publicly available forums for targets.

2. Replace the drive with something else (ie: NEC45/65 series), if it’s a standard type drive. If it’s a custom laptop with a molded case, unfortunately you’re stuck with it.

Stuck is stuck.

You can try with VLCtool, might be the only chance.

Hook up an external drive when at home.

I don’t know if this is interesting for anyone now, but I also own a Toshiba Laptop which came with a Matshita UJ-841S built in, and I think it is the best reader I own. Maybe the quality of their drives is just very inconsistent and I got lucky, who knows?

To put some substance to my claim, I own a few other CD and DVD drives/burners, among them a LiteOn SOHR-5238S and a newly bought LiteOn LH-20A1P. But so far, the Matshita drive is the only one that could read a specific damaged audio CD without error (i.e. AccurateRip verified). Also, the burn quality as measured by the LiteOn-drives is quite OK (I can post some scans if anyone is interested). Last but not least, in contrast to the LiteOn drives, it was able to rip a copy-protected CD with consistent CRCs, while both LiteOn-drives got different CRCs every time (though no rip had audible problems that I could detect).

My Matshita UJ-840S can rip some protected audio CDs which few (but some) of my other drives can rip, so it’s good for that purpose. It’s also a fairly good CD burner.

For reading DVDs it’s not among my better drives.

The drive is also unable to read/play DVDs from the “wrong” region regardless of software used.

For burning DVDs it’s without comparison my most picky drive, and most DVD media is burned with very poor or even completely unacceptable quality - even supposedly widely compatible and excellent media such as TYG02, MCC 02RG20, YUDEN000 T02.

I’m tempted to call it a pathetic DVD burner, but it does manage to burn MCC 004, TYG03 and YUDEN000 T03 with acceptable quality.

I don’t know how different the 840S, 841S and 850S models are.

As for the original question, I’m fairly sure that no Matshita DVD burners support bitsetting for DVD+R single layer media, few have any firmware updates at all, and I don’t know of any firmware that would enable bitsetting for DVD+R SL media.

:iagree:

Also, I am not aware of Matsushita/panasonic releasing any firmware updates for their drives … ever.
It’s pure arrogance to assume any particular firmware revision is completely without flaws … and refusing to release firmwares updates is the evidence of it’s disregard for it’s “customers”.

Well, I didn’t say it would be a good decision to buy this drive (also considering all the posts in these forums about it breaking down), but I wouldn’t throw it away either. In fact, I almost never throw away a CD drive that’s still working, and I guess that collector’s trait is quite common around here :wink:

Concerning compatibility, I can’t say. I never burned any uncommon media in it, so that might be the reason I never experienced any writing problems.

I had one in my Vaio…it worked for over a year…eventually I noticed every second disc was having problems (reading, ripping or burning). Not being very experienced in these matters I decided the thing was crap or dying so I went to the shop, pulled it out and stuck a new one (NEC…see sig below) in it and hey presto, everything runs as sweet as Cindy.
Really. :clap: