Marshmallow 6.0 has arrived!

vbimport

I’ve seen reports elsewhere that LG devices will be first but I can confirm that the update notification was rolled out to my Nexus 9 at some stage last night as it was there this morning before I left for work (which about 8 hours ago now).

I haven’t had the chance to install it yet but I’m looking forward to getting this sorted tonight after work.

Then the fun begins! :bigsmile:

Wombler

Just a heads up for people installing this, it’s a massive update and that’s in all senses of the word.

The download is 772.1 MB which was a bit of a strain for my Dad’s slow Internet connection so I didn’t get the chance to install until very late on last night when I arrived home.

Once it’s downloaded they tell you to allow 45 minutes for the upgrade to take place and I didn’t time it exactly but for my Nexus 9 this wasn’t far wrong, so one tip would be make sure you’ve plenty of time before you start.

It’s all looking pretty good so far but I’ll get a chance to play with it properly at the weekend.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The size differs depending on device, but it indeed is pretty big. For my Nexus 7 (2013) & Nexus Player, the downloads were under 350 MB each.

I believe LG is the first manufacturer to get 6.0 on a non-stock device. The Nexus devices (when not carrier-modified) are almost always the first to actually receive the update, because it is stock Android. It’s surprising (or maybe not) that LG has managed to get it ready so quickly; they’ve probably had people working with every dev build so they would only have to do minor tweaks for the final build. Other manufacturers might wait for the final version before doing anything at all, which is valid but takes a little longer to finally ship.

I guess I’ll have to wait for Marshallow 6.0 until a kind soul of XDA developers decides to port it to a Note 2…:cool:
But then again,they already did up to 5.1.1,so I have high hopes…:stuck_out_tongue:

People in the community will put any OS on any device possible as long as it’s feasible. The Note 2 is still a quite capable device. :iagree:

I have Marshmallow on my Nexus 7, but one of my pet peeves has still not been addressed. Boot time is still ridiculously slow at 36 seconds. Oh well, could be worse.

On another note, has anyone had issues with Chrome lately? On 5.1.1 and now on 6.0, I’ve had Chrome just hang up for four or five seconds when trying to scroll a page. Doesn’t do it with other browsers on the same website.

Can’t say I’ve bad that particular Chrome problem in this context, though it could be that I’ve not hit any troublesome pages on my tablet.

I will vouch for the long boot times; my current phone (superior specs), watch (running Android Wear & inferior specs), and old phone (similar specs) boot as fast or faster than the Nexus 7. I’d guess that random file read performance is poor for the device, though sequential reads are pretty fast. And the Nexus Player, with its comparatively few applications (native or otherwise) boots quite rapidly, which serves to exacerbate the perceived slowness of the Nexus 7’s boot process.

Otherwise, performance seems solid, and a scrolling bug I’d been suffering through since 5.0 hit seems to have been resolved more or less. Realistically, I’ve only had the device for a year and a half, but things on the software side haven’t been better than they are right now for me.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2762047]I have Marshmallow on my Nexus 7, but one of my pet peeves has still not been addressed. Boot time is still ridiculously slow at 36 seconds. Oh well, could be worse.

On another note, has anyone had issues with Chrome lately? On 5.1.1 and now on 6.0, I’ve had Chrome just hang up for four or five seconds when trying to scroll a page. Doesn’t do it with other browsers on the same website.[/QUOTE]

I have to say I’m liking it so far.

The standby time is supposed to be considerably extended.

I haven’t got it on my Nexus 7 yet but the battery profile on my Nexus 9 when it’s in standby is horizontal so I never turn mine off.

No issues with Chrome on the Nexus 9 but I’ll check this further for you when the Nexus 7 is upgraded.

The new app drawer looks considerably different but after getting over the initial confusion it all works very well.

I really like the granular app permissions as well although I know you’ve always had this through rooting.

No real negatives for me so far but I’ll keep hunting. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I’m afraid I don’t leave my tablet idling for very long, but I’ll try to consciously reduce my usage for a few days to see if I get better standby time. Ignoring the times rogue applications refused to idle, I don’t think standby time was ever a problem for me with Lollipop, to be honest.

[QUOTE=Albert;2762181]I’m afraid I don’t leave my tablet idling for very long, but I’ll try to consciously reduce my usage for a few days to see if I get better standby time. Ignoring the times rogue applications refused to idle, I don’t think standby time was ever a problem for me with Lollipop, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Neither do I Albert but I leave mine in standby overnight when I’m asleep.

BTW has anyone here discovered the System UI Tuner yet?

If you pull down the quick settings screen, then long hold your finger for a while on the cog icon, the System UI Tuner is enabled and you can do all sorts of things in there.

There’s an option to display the % charge as part of the battery icon and you can choose which icons are displayed in the task bar and quick settings UI.

Quite useful really. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Battery life on the 2013 Nexus 7: not so bad for a device where I know I’ve racked up quite a few charging cycles. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the new version with useful features.

[QUOTE=Albert;2762902]Battery life on the 2013 Nexus 7: not so bad for a device where I know I’ve racked up quite a few charging cycles. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah my Nexus 7 2013 is pretty good too. :iagree:

Improvements are always welcome though but mine hasn’t updated yet.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Got the Marshmallow upgrade for my Nexus 7 2013 last night but also an unexpected update for the Nexus 9.

It seems to be a patch for various unspecified security fixes according to the blurb.

[B]Wombler[/B]

^ Google intends to do monthly security updates, which come through as small system updates. They started this a couple of months ago.

[QUOTE=Albert;2763267]^ Google intends to do monthly security updates, which come through as small system updates. They started this a couple of months ago.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that makes sense as why wait for people to be affected by malware etc. when they can send out a quick patch. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi :slight_smile:
Maybe just coincidence.
But after the latest update my Nexus 6 suffered a swollen battery.
This caused the back cover to “pop off”.
Now returned for repair.
Should have learnt my lesson.
My very 1st phone was Motorola.
Took 6 months from purchase for Orange to acknowledge the problems.
But did result in upgrade to latest top of the range Nokia.
At no cost to me.
Said then I would not bother with Motorola products.

In fairness the Nexus 6 did almost last 1 year.
Though it was my second choice after the Nokia 930.
The latter used some 90% of the time.
(So the Nexus just 10%.)
Currently 930 running Windows 10 mobile.

Off topic

[QUOTE=zebadee;2763423]Hi :slight_smile:
Maybe just coincidence.
But after the latest update my Nexus 6 suffered a swollen battery.
This caused the back cover to “pop off”.
Now returned for repair.
Should have learnt my lesson.
My very 1st phone was Motorola.
Took 6 months from purchase for Orange to acknowledge the problems.
But did result in upgrade to latest top of the range Nokia.
At no cost to me.
Said then I would not bother with Motorola products.

In fairness the Nexus 6 did almost last 1 year.
Though it was my second choice after the Nokia 930.
The latter used some 90% of the time.
(So the Nexus just 10%.)
Currently 930 running Windows 10 mobile.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t Motorola have an issue with backs popping off with the Nexus 6? Not because of the battery; just because of the way they designed the rest of the chassis.

[QUOTE=Albert;2763440]Off topic

Didn’t Motorola have an issue with backs popping off with the Nexus 6? Not because of the battery; just because of the way they designed the rest of the chassis.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
No idea.
But there is currently a problem with swollen batteries.
So much so that dealers have been sent details + pictures.
The battery swells to such an extent that the back literally pops off.
Whilst in part could be a design fault (how cover appears to be just glued on).
Wouldn’t like to see the result if the whole case was more solid.
Like some other phones are.
Could be more like explosive, maybe.

Yeah I think it’s more coincidental than anything as that sounds like either a design flaw or a problem with the batteries they’re using.

Let’s hope they can get it sorted permanently for you though, rather than just replacing the battery with another potentially flawed one, as there have been issues with batteries exploding or going on fire and that expansion would be associated with that.

[B]Wombler[/B]