Marantz cdr630 doesn't like data cd-rs anymore

vbimport

hi all…i’m new here!

anyway, i’ve got a question: a few years back i bought a marantz cdr630 cd-recorder. it’s a ‘professional’ unit which was made to record on both cd-r audio and data discs, which it did fine for quite a few years. problem is, it doesn’t seem to like any of the currently/widely available data cd-rs (i’ve tried tdk, maxell, verbatim, etc). it DOES like the verbatim “digital vinyl” cd-rs, but that’s about the only disc i’ve tried recently that it detects as being a cd-r.
it’s not a problem with the unit as i’ve got an old tdk (with darker recording dye), kodak, and an older maxell which work just fine. it seems to be discs with darker recording dye that it prefers (although it worked fine with some of the lighter coloured discs which were manufactured a year or two back).

anyone have any insight on this, or what discs i might be able to try? i’m trying to avoid the more-expensive “audio” discs (and i’m not even sure those would work at this point!).

thanks for any/all help!

I’m not sure this is relates to media-- moreso the burner itself.

I’d say it’s time to get a new one. CD-R’s have made a transition from cyanine-type dye to phlathcyanine (somebody please correct my spelling) dye, which is the newer “lighter” CD-R’s. Apparently your burner is having a hard time with thiem.

you could be right…but if anyone can recommend any “old school” media (so to speak), it would be appreciated. this thing wasn’t cheap, and the whole point of buying a “professional” stand alone was to avoid having to buy the more expensive audio cd-rs, which i didn’t think would be around very long…

Sure there’s tons of “old school” media that you’ve already found that works.

But as you’ve already found too-- it’s hard to find.

Kodak Gold CD-R’s (a thing of the past) are probably the only Phthalocyanine type discs (along with few others) that will work, otherwise you’ll need standard cyanine type discs which are only sold as TY or Verbatim Vinyl CD-R, few others.

I believe you can pick up spindles of CD-R TY media at online resellers… Someone chime in, shop4tech.com may have been one of them.

Have you tried black CDs?

haven’t tried the black ones yet (the only brand i’ve seen are memorex), but they’re next on the list.

i’ll definitely try the TY’s as well, if someone can recommend me a place to buy legit ones from in toronto (or even a canadian online retailer).

thanks for everyone’s help!

you can try these on-line retailers http://blankmedia.ca/index.asp , http://www.ncix.com/

Maybe you should try 32x branded MIJ (TY) discs for your recorder. If you dont find those just get the TYs the shop offers.

update: bought a spindle of 52x unbranded taiyo yuden…had a good feeling about them, but…NOPE…don’t work.

tried an older (prob 2 years?) 24x HP disc…works fine. it was definitely the change in dyes and/or recording speeds that screwed me.

i wonder if the current “professional” stand-alone audio cd recorders are compatible with the current data cd-rs…they claim they are, but i’m not sure i’d trust them anymore!

next up: memorex black, and archival gold (my brother’s going to lend me one to test out!).

maybe these??? reasonably priced for an “audio” cd…though i’m not even sure if they’ll work!

http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=104

That’s interesting. The cyanine dye used in TY media is said to be more compatible than the phthlocyanine (sp?) dye used in later media.

oooooh…this is not good…

i picked up an HHB cdr74 gold and HHB cdr80ip to try (the gold used to work fine…but that was about 6 years ago!). neither work anymore. they’re both for lower speed application (gold for 1-8x and silver 1-12x). i was SURE they would work. oh well…

the search continues…probably by the time i’ve found something that DOES work, i’ll have spent enough on cd-rs to have bought a new recorder!

I know this is a little late but did you ever find media that works? I have the same problem. What I have had the best luck with is buying off brand cd-RW 1x to 4x speed. Then I record to that media and later on pc xfer to normal cdr media. I erase the dvd-RW and I am ready to go again. Imation 1x-4x works (or at least the ones I can get locally here…

The only blank CDs that don’t give us trouble in the CDR630 are Imation CD-R. Fuji and TDK do not work for sure.

Use the audio Cds, they do work!

[QUOTE=mixedup;1746345]hi all…i’m new here!

anyway, i’ve got a question: a few years back i bought a marantz cdr630 cd-recorder. it’s a ‘professional’ unit which was made to record on both cd-r audio and data discs, which it did fine for quite a few years. problem is, it doesn’t seem to like any of the currently/widely available data cd-rs (i’ve tried tdk, maxell, verbatim, etc). it DOES like the verbatim “digital vinyl” cd-rs, but that’s about the only disc i’ve tried recently that it detects as being a cd-r.
it’s not a problem with the unit as i’ve got an old tdk (with darker recording dye), kodak, and an older maxell which work just fine. it seems to be discs with darker recording dye that it prefers (although it worked fine with some of the lighter coloured discs which were manufactured a year or two back).

anyone have any insight on this, or what discs i might be able to try? i’m trying to avoid the more-expensive “audio” discs (and i’m not even sure those would work at this point!).

thanks for any/all help![/QUOTE]

Hi mixedup,

I have this machine also. My expereince has been that the 80 minute data cdr’s are very fussy for this machine. Sometimes , they work, many times they don’t.

I have never had problems with the 74 minute data cdr’s.
The only problem, I don’t know if 74 minute cdr’s are available any more.

This is a fantastic machine. It’s replacement, the marantz cdr632, is even
better, and it’s cheaper than the 630 was when it was out.
The 632 handles all the cd’s I’ve tried.

Hi, My understanding of the problem is that the newer dyes used in Cd-rs are not compatible with the Marantz unit. When the unit does a laser power calibration before trying to write to a cd-r, it has a problem calibrating. I have found that one can still buy cd-RW that use old style dye. Usually rewriteable disks that are 1x speed compatible, work, but not all. I found a brand of rewriteable named Arita 1x-4x that works here in the Philippines. So I bought 100 pieces and I am set now (for how I use the Marantz). I doubt there is cd-R (write once) stock left anywhere with the old dye. I hope that sheds some light on the issue. It drove me crazy until I found this out. I tried some Imation cd-RW that said 1x-4x compatible and it worked. When I bought some more from a different dealer (same jewel case and inserts), it no longer worked. So if you find one that works, better stock up!

Best of luck

Greetings to all! I have had the Marantz CDR-630 for well over 15 years, and up until a couple of years ago, I had never experienced a problem making discs in the deck. With the advent of newer and much faster CD media, I realised quickly that the 630 did not read anything faster than media with a capacity of a 4x burning speed. Fortunately, several months ago, I found a Staples (office store in the US and abroad) that sold 1x-4x CD media, and bought a stack of 50 CDRs. I have been utilising those discs since, and have not had ANY problems making discs at all! The CDs are marketed under the Staples name, but I suspect that any CD media capable of recording at the 1x-4x speed will work in the Marantz CDR630. Good luck to you, and best wishes for a Happy Christmas and Merry New Year! Cheers!

Hey guys I have the same unit and I’ve been using Memorex Music CD-R’s 40x 700 MB 80 MIN and they work great. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the tip romieb. I think I’ll try those and see if they work on mine. I haven’t been able to get the tdk 80 min data or cd’s to work, most of the time it won’t get through opc on the blanks.

Have you had any luck with any 80 min data cd’s?

HELP!!! I am desperate, I need discs that will work in my Marantz CDR630 Immediately, I need them for recording RIGHT NOW! I had a few hundred Maxell CDR music discs sitting on a shelf, but never realized they were the "silver type, and not the [U]bluish [/U]ones that have worked for years!

Give me some input here guys, I am screwed! Please don’t tell me to “buy a newer unit”, if I had the $$$ I would, I just need discs that will read, and not give me the optfail…

[B]HELP!!![/B] Tell me what works, and where I can get some NOW!!!

Thanks!