Many local TV stations to go ahead with DTV switch

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 40 percent of the nation’s hundreds of TV stations will be broadcasting completely in digital signals next week, even after regulators delayed a mandatory nationwide switch to “DTV” by months.

Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE5197TZ20090211

:cool::cool:

Bwuhahahahhaa!

Just switch & leave a message on repeat on analogue … your TV is working perfectly. This channel has switched to Digital … refer to insert DTV website.gov for more information.

Get that fubar Analogue off! It’s chewing up valuable bandwidth - The government wants to sell the bandwidth to someone else, for something else :iagree:

We are also in the process of switching off analogue in the UK as well. It has been great fun so far. The area’s that are now completely DVB are having huge problems.
Apparently as well as adding some new services, they also boosted the signal level.
People who who had a poor signal before had powerful signal amplifiers fitted to their aerial. Now the signal is too strong (so we are told) and when their TV detects these new services and asks the user to re-scan to get them. They end up with no services at all.

According to anecdotal evidence from the MATV guys in Oz, many of the older amplifier/aerial type signal boosters actually impede the (higher) frequencies used by digital TV signals, as they used to be unwanted noise :wink:

I’ve experienced no issues with digital though.

[QUOTE=debro;2217585]According to anecdotal evidence from the MATV guys in Oz, many of the older amplifier/aerial type signal boosters actually impede the (higher) frequencies used by digital TV signals, as they used to be unwanted noise :wink:

I’ve experienced no issues with digital though.[/QUOTE]

what “higher frequencies” would those be?
(Danger loaded rhetorical question alert)

Digital uses a different signal mode on the SAME frequency

It’s like switching from AM from FM on the SAME frequency.

I’ve heard more instant myth about the switch than I care to remember

The United states made a HUGE mistake 50-odd years ago when they
adopted NTSC in the first place… they “Early adopted” and grabbed up
technology that was greatly improved upon only months later.

It’s quite a thing to be in a freakin grass hut in africa and be seeing a better picture over the local PAL broadcast system than you’ve ever
seen at home in the states growing up line of sight to the Empire state building.

It’s about time the US did SOMETHING about our embarrassingly archaic system.

Personally I’ve got cable so I don’t really care.

AD

Digital in the USA is broadcast over UHF, not VHF.

Not all digital is being broadcast UHF the local PBS here is broadcast on channel VHF channel 8.I understand some of the other stations will be moving to VHF digital after the switch.

In Australia, most of the earliest TV stations used VHF, however, since the mid 80’s I believe, all new stations were handed UHF frequency bands.

The TV broadcasters in Oz up to the early/mid 1980’s were predominantly VHF and similarly up to the mid 1980’s installed antenna’s were predominantly VHF antenna’s, but most VHF antenna’s have a semi-decent reception of the lower UHF frequencies also - and I guess the first channels handed out were the lower UHF frequencies - which means they worked ok.

However, the authority dealing with handing out new TV frequency bands are only handing out UHF bands, and they’d be getting up into the higher frequencies, which are between 10x & 100x those that the VHF antenna’s are designed for. I’m not sure if they are intending to re-use VHF bands for TV again, or whether it’ll be reclaimed for other uses.

The anecdotal evidence suggests that people haven’t upgraded/installed UHF capable antennas, hence they need new antenna’s & possibly new signal boosters.

It’s kind of funny what works & what doesn’t antenna wise.
I have 4 converters & one digital tuner DVD/VHS combo unit.
My best indoor amplified antenna (Winegard SS-3000) is connected to two converters & the combo through a splitter.Most of the time I don’t get any digital breakup except for the PBS station.Once during some bad weather I got more.
On one set I have a very old good quality Archer indoor antenna made before they even thought about digital.It is connected to one
of my bedroom converter boxes most of the time it receives very well.
On the other bedroom converter I first tried one of the flat panel digital antenna it didn’t receive some of the channels & easily digitalized on the others.I also now have a cheap digital set of amplifed rabbit ears with UHF loop it stiil doesn’t have good reception.
In my computer room I have an old TV so old I had to use a balum to connect it to the coax to the converter.It has a flat 300ohm wire from a regular rabbit ear type antenna(The one that came with this TV) soldered to a coax so I can connect that to the converter input.
Beleive it or not I only get ocassional pixelation on this setup.

Arrrrrrr …

A new article about this very thing :slight_smile:

[B]IEEE is supreme overlord of the technical world:[/B]
I agree
I disagree

My cable ISP is not affected by this change, I am not sure if all cable ISPs are the same though.:confused:

I am waiting for the other shoe to fall when cable companies say they will not convert it to analog and that there customer will have to DTV tvs or rent there boxes . Right now they are saying you do not need to do anything if you have cable. Now even if you have a DTV channel the cable company Scrambles most DTV channels so you need there box to watch them.

In Oz, the (few) cable companies [and satellite TV companies] send the major Free-To-Air stations down the line also. I’d expect it to be a similar situation in the USA.

The receiver boxes with these systems are already digital & handle everything … so won’t be affected by the changeover to Digital TV via free-to-air :slight_smile:

Not really sure why you feel they would do this. All current boxes would already do this - They’d have to force users to replace 100Million+ receiver boxes, at an economically difficult time, for this to take effect … and what would be the point?

Because now I do not need a box to get the analog signal they send out only DTV and you have to pay extra fro DTV and for the box. Unlike some places where you need a cable box we do not here unless you want DTV. By making us go to DTV they will be able to charge us more .

Digital TV is broadcast across the air - free … same as the analogue channels broadcast over the air at the moment!

It just replaces analogue, because analogue requires too much bandwidth, and they can use the same bandwidth (of a single analogue channel) for about 4 digital channels.
And Digital improves the quality of picture and sound (can do 1080p + 5.1 channels in Dolby Surround Sound) - or it can do 4x Standard definition channels, or it can do a 720p/1080i + surround sound channel & two Standard definition channels.

The Digital TV tuner box does the tuning, instead of the old Analogue Tuner inbuilt in older TV’s (New TV’s already have inbuilt Digital [and analogue] tuners).

There’s no cable supplier or satellites required for DVB-T, which is what the digital switchover concerns - and the only cost is a basic $20 tuner box (+1 if you want to record another channel on your old VCR/DVD Recorder).

Cable & Satellite (DVB-S) were already digital - which is why you needed the Digital Box in the first place.

That only works if you live close enough to receive the new signals of the air and some of us do not.