Manually creating a DVD in windows makes for a standard DVD?

vbimport

If i create a VIDEO_TS folder manually (on windows) and i fill it up with my own VOB/BUP/IFO etc files, and i burn this folder to a DVD with plain old windows explorer burning, will this play OK on all standard players? (assuming of course the VOB/BUP/IFO etc files are all good)

Or should i be afraid that windows may add some bits/bytes/who knows what that makes it a nonstandard DVD ?

(as in contrast to creating a DVD with professional software which probably makes sure everything is made accorsing to the DVD spec)

It depends on how well the .ifo, .bup and .vob files are made. If they were created correctly, following the dvd specifications, then you shouldn’t have any problem putting them in a new Video_TS folder.

Burning with the built in burner in Windows…I wouldn’t advise that. XP can’t burn to dvds anyway, Vista can do so for data, but I would not try this for dvd-video.

I advise using ImgBurn, which is free to use. www.imgburn.com
Here are the guides for using it: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

So creating and burning an image file out of this manually created VIDEO_TS folder is better than just burning the folder through vista burning?

Won’t these two have identical end results? ImgBurn isn’t designed for DVD-Video creation any more than Vista burning is, or is it?

ImgBurn can output straight to the burner, so you don’t have to make an image and keep it on the hard drive. You also have control on burning speed, which is often times very important depending on the quality of your blank media.

ImgBurn can also bitset +R disks for many types of burners, increasing compatibility in stand alone players that are picky.

If making dual layer dvd burns, ImgBurn can set the layer break correctly, which not many burning programs do well.

There are probably other advantages I am not aware of, but you can talk to LUK over at the Imgburn forum or here at the cdfreaks ImgBurn subforum if you want more information.

Your question got me interested in the capabilities of the built in Vista burning engine. It writes as data only. I found this bit of information:

[I]The built-in CD and DVD burning or recording feature in Windows Vista does not support CD or DVD disc image handling or burning.Neither does it provides the ability to create slide shows, audio CD or video CD/DVD.[/I]

spam

Ah, but here’s the question; An optical disc which contains a data folder called VIDEO_TS which contains data VOB/IFO/BUP files, is this not equivalent to a standard DVD-video which should play perfectly on all/any standard player? Which would mean i may use the stupid’est data burner (like vista DVD burning) to create DVD-videos?

Or - is there more to standard DVD-videos than just plain old data folders and files? (something like the oldschool audio CDs who’s CDA files aren’t really plain old data files)

I don’t see how ImgBurn is any less “strictly data speaking” than vista built-in burning. And for that matter why not suspect that any/all professional DVD authoring SW do nothing more than write ‘data’ stuff to the DVD, just plain old data VIDEO_TS folder with plain old data VOB etc files.

Whats UDF supposed to mean after all?

Dvd-video has to use a certain file format in order to be read by stand alone players. But I am certainly no expert on UDF file formats or burning programs. As I said, you’ll get more informed responses from the author of ImgBurn in one of his forums.