Manually Create Chapters while Capturing to DVD

vbimport

Ok, so I am not a newbie, but this is a question that has stumped top minds. Who? TOP MINDS!

I need a way to create a chaptered DVD instantly, but here’s the catch, I want to manually add these chapter marks while recording. Imagine a live event, multicamera switch mastered to a DVD and duped immediately for sale. But right now, we have to live with 5 minute auto chapter inserts. I found a Pioneer that was the size of a BetaCam deck which claimed to have this function, but the reviews were horrible.

Now, does this exist or not? I don’t want to record to the HD and then go back and add them to the clip, then burn. If I were going to do that I would use a capture board and a PC. Which brings me to question #2: Does a capture board (with software) exists which would allow this same process: to add a chapter mark while capturing. Imagine we are capturing this same event video directly from the switcher and while it is capturing, I am hitting a key and this is making a chapter mark at that timecode. SO when I stop the capture, on my timeline is an MPEG-2 clip with all the chapter marks in the clip. Then I can burn to disc from the timeline without a “render” but perhaps a 20 minute build-prepare-burn. The chapters do not need a name, only to be there as a number. I guess I could take the extra 5 minutes to type in chapter names if that were possible.

This is what I want. Does it exist?

I know the older Philips DVD recorders let you make manual chapter marks (that were DVD-Video compatible) by hitting a button on the remote whilst recording live to DVD +RW disc. Probably that’s the easiest route for you, but possibly a bit of research on the newer models (including other makes like Panasonic, Sony etc) is in order.

Having said that, those mainstream manufacturers don’t tend to support the ‘plus’ format very well.

Hi SEVRochester and imkidd57:

I was just looking at the discussion and the attached is my contribution. While I have not used this feature, I am thrilled with the overall performance of this unit and it plays everything I throw at it.

Any software solutions that I am aware of, would require that you stop and restart the capture each time. I believe what you are referring to is Real Time Editing, and you can do it… Have you looked at the professional level softwares, such as Vegas Video, Pinnacle Liquid Edition, and others…

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2148612]Hi SEVRochester and imkidd57:

I was just looking at the discussion and the attached is my contribution. While I have not used this feature, I am thrilled with the overall performance of this unit and it plays everything I throw at it.[/QUOTE]

I looked into this and the problem is that this function is only available when in vr recording mode, which is not compatible with the majority of normal DVD players. Thanks for the info, though!

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2148648]Any software solutions that I am aware of, would require that you stop and restart the capture each time. I believe what you are referring to is Real Time Editing, and you can do it… Have you looked at the professional level softwares, such as Vegas Video, Pinnacle Liquid Edition, and others…[/QUOTE]

I currently use Vegas Pro 8.0 and DVD Architect for our Post Production. I was actually searching for something that was specifically designed to produce a chaptered DVD on the spot. This apparently does not exist. But I thank you for your interest.

If you can find a DVD recorder that supports manual chapter marking in +VR, then doing that on a +RW disc will get you what you want.