Manually control ripping speeds of audio cds (Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203N / TS-H653N. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello. I was wondering if there is any way for me to control the ripping speed of my dvd-drive. My specific scenario is this: I am importing my audio cds to my computer, and I want to specify the speed for the cd’s to be ripped at (such as 2x, 4x, 8x). I don’t know if I can make a global setting for my drive, or if I have to have programs that allow rip speed change. I don’t really care what program to use to import my cds, but prefer iTunes or WMP11. Any help on this would be great.
Thanks.

Relevant PC specs:
DVD Drive: Samsung SH-S203N
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
Mobo: MSI-K9N-SLIPlatinum

exact audio copy, EAC is highly recommended for audio cd ripping
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

Thanks for the post. I do have EAC, but under ‘drive settings’ the only speed options I am given to rip at are 8x, 16x, and actual(which results in approx 8-10x). Is there a way to configure more rip speed options in EAC? Also, is there a way to configure rip speeds in iTunes8 or WMP11?

I also googled around, and tried Nero Drive Speed, but either it doesn’t work, or I have no idea how to apply it’s settings globally as I ripped a CD in iTunes and it ripped at 10x.

i was just about to recommend nero drive speed. never mind.

i know ImgBurn will allow you to set ripping speed. just select read mode and read speed.

if the discs you are trying to copy are copy protected you might need a program such as AnyDVD.

The question is: Why do you want to reduce the speed lower than 8x? EAC secure mode, if set up properly, will make sure that your extracted audio files are exact copies of the CDDA tracks stored on the CD. Besides, modern drives, including your Samsung 203, are tuned for high speed reading (and burning), so slower does not necessarily mean better, on the contrary often, an urban myth that simply doesn’t seem to die .

I tried ImgBurn, but for some reason or another, setting the rip speeds did nothing.

Thanks for the info on EAC’s secure mode.

The reason’s behind my thinking is this: I want to archive my cd collection in wav format, and want to get the most perfect rip of the cd’s without having to rip them again. I started looking for a ‘perfect’ ripper, and became a little paranoid after seeing many forums and sites that said one could never get a perfect rip, and that speeds above 2x or 4x could bring on more errors than those speeds.

If I seem a bit new to ripping cd’s with perfect quality, it’s because I am. Overall, I want to rip my cd’s perfectly, but also want to know if there is a way to control the global speeds of my drive, perhaps one program that will set the speeds, and all other programs will acknowledge those speeds, just because I want to :slight_smile:

I want to archive my cd collection in wav format,

Unless you only have few CD’s that’s gonna take a whole lot of hard drive space.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2147045]Unless you only have few CD’s that’s gonna take a whole lot of hard drive space.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed - 50+ GBs so far - but hdd space is not an issue for me.

Like I said, “slower is always better” is nothing but a myth. More important factors in achieving a ‘perfect’ rip is the tool used (e.g. EAC), the right configuration of that tool (secure mode, right parameters), and the digital audio extraction quality / features of the optical drive.

Btw., you could use some lossless compression like FLAC or APE to save a lot of space (up to ~50%) on those rips without losing any quality. EAC supports FLAC, and most modern media player software like Winamp does also, without the need of plugins even.

Can WMP11 and iTunes play FLAC?

Also, probably the main question I have to ask: is there some easy way to tell my dvd drive to rip or burn at specific speeds? I’ll still rip at 8x with secure mode in EAC (what parameters are you talking about? the offset number?), but I just want to know for the sake of knowing.

Offset, C2 error detection, accurate stream support, audio caching (yes or no), overread into lead-in and lead-out etc. Ideally, the drive supports accurate stream and C2 error info, while it does not cache audio data. This results in very fast and accurate ripping.

If you have already tried tools like Nero Drive Speed and CD Bremse, there is not much you can do.

Windows Media Player 11 can play FLAC files after some tweaking according to this tutorial. iTunes is a more complicated case. If you want to stick to iTunes, you could use Apple’s lossless audio codec which is integrated in iTunes instead, at the expense of compatibility (only iTunes and iPods usually support Apple lossess).

Proper media players like Winamp or foobar2000 support FLAC out of the box.

I might try CD Bremse if I learn German, but that’s what I had feared.

Thanks for all you help. I now feel more comfortable ripping with EAC with those features selected.