Mandrake Linux 9.0 Help Please

Hey. I have a sweet computer class in school where we go around and fix all computer problems in the school (probably to save money). Anyway, we each get 2 workstation computers to work with. I have a pentium 100 with 32megs of ram and a 3 gig HD. I was installing mandrake linux 9 on it the other day, (8x cdrom drive and a boot disk) from isos I downloaded from www.linuxiso.org (great site). I always get the same problem. It will partition the hard drive and prepare for install, but then I always get a message that says “base system packages not installed” so it goes back a few steps in the install. This happens in both the text and graphical installs. I checked my isos with MD5 sum checker, and they were 100% good. I burned the images with nero, so i don’t think there should be a problem. I was just wondering if anyone knew what this error message meant and if it’s a problem with my discs or my computer. Thanks a bunch.

Pentium 100 ?

I hope you have downloaded the i386 iso’s instead of the i586 then …

Ummmm, yeah, there are no i386 iso’s in Mandrake Linux anymore. Only i586. Besides, Pentiums are based on the i586. Anywho, I got a dual harddrive system set up, two 3.2 gig drives on my p2 200mhz with 64 megs of ram, and it worked. Hooray. The other machine will remain a shitty OS/2 Piece of shit. Hahaha, I didn’t know OS/2 was still used by ANYONE. Soooo old, so so old.

Will it work on a P100 with 32 megs of RAM? Have you checked the requirements?

I586 is Pentium PRO and above…

since Pentium Pro is kinda rare , the best rule of thumb is that i586 is Pentium II code and above.

And that’s why you won’t be able to install Mandrake 9 on it.

I know , because i tried to put an i58 iso on a P 166 , a P 166 MMX and a P 233 MMX , nothing worked… so i had to get a P ][.