Man I love my new NEC 2510A

vbimport

I love the scans that i am getting with my NEC 2510A, with f/w 2.16… Attached is a scan burned on the NEC and read through my 811 with KProbe… I know that many of you get better scans than this but, I love them…

VB9999

;). Welcome to the clan mate. Welcome to REAL hardware.

Lol, same here mate. I love my new 2510A.

It’s just such a joy to see something burn a DVD+RW faster than what I used to burn my CD-Rs… :bow:

And I have yet to complain about quality :iagree:

It’s nice to catch up with the times. :bigsmile:

yup my NEC 2510A is kewl but where can i get a nice green bezel for it hmm hehe :slight_smile:

:iagree:

It’s not just the quality of the scans I love… it’s also the fact that the DVD’s all play back perfectly with no skipping that I like! :smiley: I fought 2 months with a Lite-On LDW 451S before giving up… got a HP420i out of pure frustration and it’s been worth every penny. Even if a little more expensive then your standard NEC2500A’s I haven’t had any complaints. Lately I noticed my dad’s NEC2500A is acting a bit funky. I hope the drive itself isn’t going bad. It leaves stranges burnt marks at the bottom of discs and such that don’t look good - it only happens occasionally and I think it’s because he’s putting fingerprints on the bottom of them before they get burned but I can’t verify this. :slight_smile:

Edit: Ewwww! Green drive! :wink: Everything I’m buying now is slowly being converted to black. I just need processor, cpu fan, and ram and I can at least put my new P4 toy together and get away from this Athlon 1800+ I’ve been using. Seeing as how I finally got a real credit card instead of a Best Buy one, as long as I get this new job today that pays extremely well I may be purchasing the new SB Audigy2, P4 2.8E (800 megahertz FSB) processor, and 1 gig of PC3200 SDRAM (512x2) to activate the hyper-threading on it and just go for it. I’m so tired of waiting for the new computer because everytime this darned thing crashes I want to cry like a little girl. :slight_smile:

ya ya …same here… love my 2500a… the best burn i have comes from this drive… even when i’m using cheapo media… :bow:

I just got my 2510A last week. At first I tried Herrie’s 1.07v2b5dl, but had lots of trouble with DVD-RW (killed two of 'em; they won’t even erase now :confused: ).

After switching to The Dangerous Brothers v2.06 (RPC1 & riplock removed) I’ve had nothing but success! :smiley:

I found a 2-for-1 deal at Office Despot for 50-packs of 8x DVD-R (Phillips branded CMC Magnetics). I picked up two of those and have had nothing but great burns at 8x, and my DVD-RWs work great now too.

Thanks, NEC! And a very special thanks to all the firmware patchers out there! :cool:

Spraypaint is your friend. :bigsmile:

cool idea so i gess i take the front off befor i spray it then :slight_smile: its because i have got a full tower in green hmm still have no idea why but ah well its a litel bit of outdoors in doors :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks wesociety :)) good idea

They just keep getting better. LOL I can’t believe it…

VB9999

Amazing burns and scans VB9999! :bigsmile:

Here’s a how to link:

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/paintguide.html

They also have a big selection of bezels in assorted colors, but I’m not sure about green…

You can also check out Plasticote’s Mirage paint. It changes color when you look at it at different angles. I did my whole case with it. The main case changes between green, purple and blue and the bezels change between gold and maroon.

Have you had a successful DVDRW burn yet? I’ve been thinking about buying a 2510A but I’d be using it to back up data onto DVDRW disks, I’d hardly ever use it to burn DVDR media. So your experience with DVDRW was quite interesting to me.

What DVDRW media did you use?

@the maynard: Ahhh, that sounds cool. :slight_smile: I even forgot about spray painting these things but then my hand isn’t steady enough so I just go for all black pieces. Plus black being a favorite color doesn’t hurt. It sucks though, years with all beige equipment and now I have to swap everything out to black. The 19 inch monitor will have to wait unfortunately. hehe :slight_smile:

i now got a green liteon :slight_smile: not the nec yet just wanted to test it on the 811S first

After moving to TDB’s v2.06 I was able to successfully burn and erase DVD-RWs (not the two that were “killed”, those are still not recognized, but other discs of the same type work fine).

I’ll have to double-check the manufacturer code when I get home (sorry I didn’t think to post this initially). Admittedly, they aren’t a great brand (“Great Quality” from Fry’s :Z , purchased a good while ago, and I think only rated 1x).

Using Herrie’s 1.07v2b5dl, I noticed Nero (6.3.1.17) reported that 2x was supported with those discs, but with TDB’s 2.06 only 1x is listed. This made me wonder if the coasters were due to a problem with an incompatible write strategy used for that media code in Herrie’s version.

Anyway, stay tuned. I’ll post the specs for those -RW discs this evening.

weblurker-----I just erased aa dvdrw and rewrote some files to it… Data not a movie, I will try that later… But I used Nero to erase and burn about 3 gig of data and everything worked fine for me…
Disk info:
Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Media Product Revision Number 01h
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Completed
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

VB99999

I tried painting the drive bezel of my DVD-ROM and it didn’t turn out as well as I had thought so I did a stealth mod of my optical drives. That’s where you take the drive bay cover, paint it the same color as the rest of the computer, get yourself some double-sided tape and attach it to the optical drive’s eject tray. This way you wouldn’t even know a drive was installed!

Well weblurker, here’s the beef on that DVD-RW media:

Media code/Manufacturer ID                                         PRINCO
Format Capacity                                             Not Formatted
Free Blocks                                                     411107328
Free Capacity                                              4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type                                                          DVD-RW
Media Type                                                         DVD-RW
Media Id Code Speed                                       1.0x   1385KBps
Available Write Descriptor                           CLV  1.0x   1385KBps
Write Strategy Speed                                        1.0x 1385KBps

00000000 00 2A 00 00 01 40 D6 FD 9E D8 20 00 02 0D 07 05 .*...@.... .....
00000010 88 76 09 00 03 50 52 49 4E 43 4F 00 04 00 00 00 .v...PRINCO.....
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 0B AC 76 0C 00 00 00 0E 40 00 A8 .......v.....@..

Like I said, not exactly the creme de la creme of media. :stuck_out_tongue: