Man dies playing computer games

Source: The Register

Quote:

[I]A South Korean man died after a marathon session playing computer games.

The unemployed man was discovered in the toilets of an Internet café in Kwangju, 160 miles south-west of Seoul.

According to Ananova, he collapsed and died after playing computer games for 86 hours non-stop without food or sleep.

In February a mother from Louisiana sued Nintendo for “unspecified damages” after her son died during a marathon session playing games.

The game player hit his head on a table during a seizure while playing with the console[/I]

86 hours … i will never beat that !

Seriously though, how can one play continuously for 86 hours with no sleep/food? Jesus :eek:

Its called Fantasy Star Online… :wink:

O well, when I was younger, i used to go to my cousin’s apartment and we used to play Playstation for 40 hours straight.

Our parents always wondered why we were black-eyed and asked us if we got into any fights! :slight_smile:

My best record was 20hr straight playing diablo. When i finished i threw up twice…then passed out for the next 14 hrs. Couldn’t go back to comp for two weeks after that…so 86hrs = dead ->am not surprised…

Well i have played Halflife for 18hours a couple of years ago, but then i did stop for food and staff. So i guess this doesn’t count :wink:

i did take two (very brief) toilet pauses within that 20hrs, and that was like 6 yrs ago…which makes me wonder how did i get so hooked up with it at the first place. i mean, nowadays, no matter how good a game is, i can’t spend more than 2 hr straight on it. not because i can’t do it physically, but i become bored so easily…well, i guess not everyone’s the same.

i can’t spend more than 2 hr straight on it. not because i can’t do it physically, but i become bored so easily…
Same here, i guess we are just getting older :wink:

86 hours…3 and a half days…insane

Originally posted by Huzzy
86 hours…3 and a half days…insane
I wonder how much he would have to pay for being online all this time :bigsmile:

I always knew that those South Koreans were crazy gamers, but damn, 86 hours! The guy must have been partially blind by the second day. I bet he couldnt see but already predicted the moves of the game and his opponents and thus achieved a higher level. He was “Enlitened”. However, he paid the price for this knowledge. Man, is not meant to wield this sort of power. :wink:

i would like to know what game he was playing.

perhaps it was mine sweeper ??

The game was phantasy star online - makes me wonder if it’s the same as dreamcast one. Wanna know how crazy they are when it comes to online gaming? have a read at this magazine article(http://wired.com/wired/archive/10.08/korea.html).

O shit, I was right!

It was supposed to be a joke too… The game IS phantasy star online! That one took a lot of time from me too for some reason I still can’t explain.

Personal record : 52 hours of internetting…

There’s another case of death caused by excessive gaming sessions: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1136154

This time it happens in Taiwan, not sure what kind of game the guy was playing though…

Well, lets see we now have an age rating on games, so I guess we are gonna have to add do not play more than ??hours at a time… It’s so funny it’s sad it really is

It would be my second choice in how to die.

Originally posted by iamrocket
It would be my second choice in how to die.
I guess i 'll regret asking afterwards … but what would the first choice be?

We better be careful with our gaming. Just look what happened with my friend Dilbert the other day: :slight_smile:

Well…if he was playing Diablo II, you know where he is now.

:a

Originally posted by BadASCII
[B]Well…if he was playing Diablo II, you know where he is now.

:a [/B]

heh,
hmmm…we are laughing about someone who died…