Man dies in Wal-Mart on Black Friday shopping stampede

vbimport

NEW YORK: A man died Friday after being crushed in a stampede of bargain-hunting shoppers at a Wal-Mart near New York, police said.

“A 34-year-old male employee suffered an undetermined death when a throng of shoppers entering Wal-Mart … physically broke down the doors, knocking him to the ground,” Nassau County Police said in a statement.

A pregnant woman aged 28 and three other shoppers were taken to hospital for checks after the incident at the discount store, police said.

The incident at Valley Stream on Long Island marred what is known as Black Friday, when retail outlets across the country slash prices to kick off the Christmas shopping season.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=61241

DR.WHO
YEAH!, like I said in another thread. I don’t believe it
was intentional. You get people who are restless after
waiting for an hour or so [or sometimes allnight], and
just want to get in to the store in a hurry. I heard they are
looking at store cameras to see if they can blame anyone
but,even if they did it would be very hard to prove in court.
This was a terrible tragedy for that man. Hopefully they will
make sure it can’t happen again.
ZAP.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

All stores need look now how they do black Friday, simple having people outside handing out number four hour ahead of time and having people line up in lines by numbers would have prevented this.
Sports events have figured this out a long time ago. What even bad is that all these so call deals are not always that good of a deal. Most people might not know this but walmart from jeans to electronics do not sell the same as other stores. They are made for walmart and in most cases are made cheaper to save money so walmart can sell them cheaper. I noticed years ago that in electronics you can look at the model numbers and find that walmart will end in a different letter or number from what others or selling.
A sony vcr might say SLVD380P at circuit city but it will say SLVd380q at walmart. The walmart one will not have all the features the circuit city says. I am sure other stores do this but walmart does it big time. This is from a fan of walmart and a person who has had many family members work at walmart.

This is simply insane… i can’t believe people can act like that just to get a good deal for a PS bargain…

Yea this is what separates apes from humans is compassion I thought?

The first thing I checked at walmart the samsung below as you can see the model ends in a T it is LN40A500T. If you go to amazon and look for this model you find LN40a500 without the T. The first thing you see with a little looking is that the walart model had Two HDMI ports while the same model at amazon without the T has three HDMI ports. This is common at walmart so buyer beware walmart is not always the best deal.

I can even find with a little looking on line the LN40A500 without the T for one dollar more than walmart sells the cheap T model it is 849 at this site while walmart wants 848 for the cheap T model.
Buyer beware when buying electonics from store like walmart you can be comparing a cheaper model to better models at other stores.
Look for letters at the end of the model number in a lot of cases the model with the letter at the end is a cheaper version.

Samsung 40" Class Full-HD 1080p LCD HDTV, LN40A500T

Walmart

online store

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p85477-samsung-ln-40a550-40-series-5-lcd-hdtv.html
Two HDMI ports

I read about this on the BBC News site the other day (yes, it even made the news here!)…poor bloke, I was amazed at the lengths some folk will go to to grab a bargain.

But they are not that good of bargain.
I did the black Friday at walmart two years ago then decided I can get the things cheaper online

Nothing is really a good bargain right now with the announcement of a recession.

This time of all times people must look at what they are buying stores have increased the games they play with prices and what you get.

I expect to see more deals now to improve shopping. Well I hope.

Yes it has become a game, read into the small print. Do not impulse buy and take your time when making a purchase.

:cool::cool:

GUY’S
I understand what you are saying. Also yeah the bargains
may not be that good. However WALMART usually has plenty
in stock what they put on sale for black friday. Also you have
to remember that this was a tradgedy that is very rare.
Shopping the day after thanks giving [for those who live outside of
the UNITED STATES] is more of a tradition for holiday shopping
what ever you celebrate. So SAMLAR of course you probably
could get a better deal online,but it kind of takes the fun out
of it for some.
ZAP.:(:frowning:

That depends on what you consider fun:)

Nothing is worth the life of somebody, I don’t care how much fun it is. You can bet that Walmart will be hit with a wrongful death suit and will most likely be settled out of court. Numerous countries have retailers that do a special blitz on products sometime during the year. There have been countless deaths and injuries related to the unnecessary frenzy that is created when these surges happen to get into a store.

:cool::cool:

Walmart destroys small business. That being said, yes, I do shop there. I try not to. Walmart is an extension of China. Almost everything there is made in China. China historically (going back hundreds of years) has been a world class supplier of goods. That store should be closed. The Walmart corporation has enough where with all and business savvy to know better. The people in that community should suffer for the needless death. Shut down the store. Open small business’s. This is the price we pay for wanting things dirt cheap. China pays also, with all the pollution going on there and the dirt they pay people for their labor. No TV’s made in America. Virtually no electronics. Pretty soon we won’t maqke anything and consume ourselves to death, or just take off in a big ship and get lazy and fat, wait, I think that was Wall-E. Wall-E, Walmart, think about it.

Wall-E, Walmart, think about it.
:iagree:

shoppers D-Day ( Black Friday )

[QUOTE=platinumsword;2168381]Nothing is worth the life of somebody, I don’t care how much fun it is. [B][U]You [/U][/B][B][U]can bet that Walmart will be hit with a wrongful death suit[/U][/B] and will most likely be settled out of court. Numerous countries have retailers that do a special blitz on products sometime during the year. There have been countless deaths and injuries related to the unnecessary frenzy that is created when these surges happen to get into a store.

:cool::cool:[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right and here’s the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/02/walmart.trampling.suit/index.html

JEFF/GUY’S
I agree with a lawsuit being brought against the
store,but I wasn’t implying to say that it was fun. I
was pointing out that the day after thanksgiving is
traditonal for crazy shopping. What happened here
was a laxed security problem. I don’t believe most shoppers
even knew what happened.
ZAP.:(:frowning: