MAM-A Gold thermal CDR question

I recently scored 500 of these gold/gold Mitsui CDRs for $57 per 100 pack in a private sale (have a chance to get some more for the same price). I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the price (these are about $1.10 each through most distributors) and decided to take a chance on them. So far they look legit, I just have to test them now in my burner and see how the perform. I have an oppurtunity to pick up 500 more, but before I do I want to pass on the hub number to see if anyone can verify them:

8032 103 n c 20084

it also says “MAM-A 700 MB color therm” on the hub. Can anyone verify?

usually runs 4 digits 4 digits 4 digits the hub printing sounds correct for color thermal approved. Considering that is about half the wholesale price ($1.10 is a little low with the increase in gold prices by the way) you seem to be getting a good deal. I would test them though. When MAM-E shut down in France it was coating for MAM-A and a bunch of crap got out from the salvage yard. Most of them ended up in Canada. It’s been a few years so maybe you have found a treasure chest :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CDR Sam;2273422]usually runs 4 digits 4 digits 4 digits the hub printing sounds correct for color thermal approved. Considering that is about half the wholesale price ($1.10 is a little low with the increase in gold prices by the way) you seem to be getting a good deal. I would test them though. When MAM-E shut down in France it was coating for MAM-A and a bunch of crap got out from the salvage yard. Most of them ended up in Canada. It’s been a few years so maybe you have found a treasure chest :)[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the response.

I’m the USA. Hopefully I got the premium stock. What was the issue with MAM-A and these bad discs?

Also how do I test these discs (other than burning them) to ensure quality? I have a Philips 8106 (think that’s the model?) and a Magicspin 16X from 2004.

Mitsui chemical, the original owner sold the company to some investors, including the Italian CSI. The company was divided into MAM-A and MAM-E with MAM-E making most of the unfinished discs. Final coating was done in the United States. MAM-E, in France had some issues (Italian bosses and French workers) with production. At any rate the MAM-E factory was closed when the CSI sold it’s part and the equipment and discs were auctioned off. MAM-A bought most of the equipment and the discs were all bought by one highest bidder. The contents of the product varied from excellent to floor sweepings. The only contributing factor to this in relationship to your deal is the cost. Beyond that the gold discs have always been the cream of the crop so you may well have hit a gold mine. The color thermal coating is a final coat so I suspect it originated at the Colorado factory and not from old MAM-E stock.

How to test?
LOL I must recommend the forum for that information. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks on the forum who can go through the whole test procedure (I think it’s even in the stickies). Low error rate is what you are looking for in the disc. You can also contact the factory at http://www.mam-a.com/contact_info/default.html and use the technical contact link which goes to Joe Weisenbach who goes back to Mitsui days.
Give him the hub number and ask if it’s genuine or if it’s from MAM-E

Sam

[QUOTE=CDR Sam;2273512]Mitsui chemical, the original owner sold the company to some investors, including the Italian CSI. The company was divided into MAM-A and MAM-E with MAM-E making most of the unfinished discs. Final coating was done in the United States. MAM-E, in France had some issues (Italian bosses and French workers) with production. At any rate the MAM-E factory was closed when the CSI sold it’s part and the equipment and discs were auctioned off. MAM-A bought most of the equipment and the discs were all bought by one highest bidder. The contents of the product varied from excellent to floor sweepings. The only contributing factor to this in relationship to your deal is the cost. Beyond that the gold discs have always been the cream of the crop so you may well have hit a gold mine. The color thermal coating is a final coat so I suspect it originated at the Colorado factory and not from old MAM-E stock.
[/QUOTE]

Very interesting info, thanks Sam.
Wasn’t originally MBIL going to buy the assets of MAM-E?
Do you know anything further on that “Italian bosses and French workers” affair?
:flower:

Hi Pepst, :smiley:
It’s possible about MBIL but I know the Colorado plant did not want the IP in anyone else’s hands and succeeded in purchasing the equipment. Some stampers ended up with Prodisc but that was for a OEM deal unrelated to the sale. The MAM-E discs were overpriced in the auction.
I’m told there is no relationship between MOSER BAER and MAM-A They are just friends :bigsmile: :disagree: :iagree: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m staying out of the international labor issues :wink: that is a very hot topic in France these days.

[QUOTE=pepst;2273541]Very interesting info, thanks Sam.
Wasn’t originally MBIL going to buy the assets of MAM-E?
Do you know anything further on that “Italian bosses and French workers” affair?
:flower:[/QUOTE]

Burned a few of these so far without problems… I guess I did hit a gold mine with them. :smiley: