Malwarebytes declares Windows 'malicious', nukes 1,000s of PCs

vbimport

A dodgy software update for virus-killer Malwarebytes disabled thousands of PCs before a fix was issued this week.

Malwarebytes’ database version v2013.04.15.12 erroneously flagged core Windows system files as malicious, resulting in unstable - and in some cases unbootable - machines. Windows system files were wrongly identified as Trojan-Downloader-ED.

Link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/19/malwarebytes_false_positive/

:cool::cool:

From the article:

From now on, antivirus updates from Malwarebytes will be tested on a virtual server before they are pushed out into the world, we’re told, a move that ought to identify at least more obvious problems.
So they haven’t been testing the antivirus updates until now, but simply pushing the untested updates out to all their users thus running the risk of disabling their systems if something went wrong?! :doh:

I have had problems with Malwarebytes in the past. I now switched to Super Anti Spyware and have no problems with it. Malwarebytes also blocked some site, that I needed to get onto. Pain in the neck.

Good thing I’m a little lax on updating .
My last update to MBAM was 4/13 .
I sure didn’t know they didn’t test first.
What genius bonehead decided that was the way to do it.
I have never had any problems with MBAM but maybe I’ve been lucky.

Thanks for the warning. After not running mine for months, I updated it this morning and left it to scan my system…

…came home and…

scroll

down
:rolleyes:
everything is fine.
:cool:

I’m still shaking my head with Drage’s observation - “NOW they’re going to test?!!”

Oh well, every AV goes thru some black-eyes but those kind of corporate revelations (“from now on, we’ll test”) are a little beyond a failed-test. I’ll make sure my Quarantine Option is set to OFF and let it Notify Only. I wonder if I’d realize all of those were System Files, though? I better start memorizing agani.

I’ve been using Malwarebytes, both the unpaid and PRO versions now for a couple of years and this is the first time I can every remember them having a major problem with an update. Thankfully I haven’t had a problem on my Windows machines.

In contrast Windows updates/patches have caused numerous problems over the years. However, my favorite offender was Zone Alarm. About every 2-3 months one of their updates would knock me off the internet with no warning. The first two times it freaked me out and I did antivirus and malware/adware scans and then checked to see if an update was the problem. After that I just hit system restore and then I’d find out later that yet again one of their updates had screwed up. Eventually I grew tired of this and switched to Comodo. Poof, no more update problems with the firewall.

Just in Maleware bytes works for apple so this wasn’t an accident. LOL

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2685582]I’m still shaking my head with Drage’s observation - “NOW they’re going to test?!!”

Oh well, every AV goes thru some black-eyes but those kind of corporate revelations (“from now on, we’ll test”) are a little beyond a failed-test. I’ll make sure my Quarantine Option is set to OFF and let it Notify Only. I wonder if I’d realize all of those were System Files, though? I better start memorizing agani.[/QUOTE]
Shouldn’t that be: “NOW [S]they[/S][B]YOU[/B]'re going to test?!!”

And to think people are actually paying good money for this kind of crap. At least with Comodo, you’re not necessarily paying for mistakes like this, as the unpaid version does the job quite well (and with absolutely no trial limitations, btw).