Malware leak in camera app

vbimport

I don’t install any apps that ask for permissions that are not needed for that app to run properly.

My cell is an older type not a smart phone.
It’s “flashlight” is called “lantern” .
It came with it. Its’ not even under apps.
Its’ under “office tools”. I don’t think there is any malware to it.
All it does is turn the screen white. So not a very good light .
Enough for finding the right key or something like that.

My phone has its own flashlight app.

The biggest problem I see is that the way Android asks for permissions is flawed. If you don’t agree to any of the permissions an app requires, it will not install, so of course many users end up agreeing to the permissions request, particularly when there is no similar less-privacy invasive app available.

The way the permissions should be done is by individual selection toggle switches on each permission and any permissions set to ‘No’ will make the OS act like that feature is not present.

For example, if you select “No” to GPS, webcam, contacts and SD card, then Android should act like the phone has no GPS, webcam, SD card or contacts to that app and there should be no way of the app really knowing whether these features are disabled or even present.

Oops! My Flashlight App was 14 MB in size, so probably one of the spying apps, so now I’ve uninstalled it. :doh:

[QUOTE=Seán;2739916]My phone has its own flashlight app.

The biggest problem I see is that the way Android asks for permissions is flawed. If you don’t agree to any of the permissions an app requires, it will not install, so of course many users end up agreeing to the permissions request, particularly when there is no similar less-privacy invasive app available.

The way the permissions should be done is by individual selection toggle switches on each permission and any permissions set to ‘No’ will make the OS act like that feature is not present.

For example, if you select “No” to GPS, webcam, contacts and SD card, then Android should act like the phone has no GPS, webcam, SD card or contacts to that app and there should be no way of the app really knowing whether these features are disabled or even present.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with ya!:iagree::clap:
Unfortunually,it seems that Google doesn’t care about that…:frowning:

If your phone is rooted,install the Xposed installer and it’s plugin XPrivacy,it can fool intrusive apps by sending fake data when that app requests permissions or acces which you feel uncomfortable with.
Blocking generally breaks such apps,but sending fake data not…:wink:

Very interesting.

I wonder what other apps also install Trojans though as I’m sure it’s not just flashlight apps. :eek:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Seán;2739916]My phone has its own flashlight app.

For example, if you select “No” to GPS, webcam, contacts and SD card, then Android should act like the phone has no GPS, webcam, SD card or contacts to that app and there should be no way of the app really knowing whether these features are disabled or even present.[/QUOTE]

:clap: