Malfunctioning SH S182 –Software or Hardware problem?-

vbimport

Hello everyone!

Great forum by the way. I just joined :bigsmile:

Here´s my problem…

I have the SH S182 and it has worked fine for about 6 months. Now I´ve put together a new machine (Core 2), but the DVD drive won´t work properly in this. It stops at 97 % when it formats DVD+RW and just shuts down. I´ve tried ImgBurn and Nero, no difference. When I burn DVD+R the drive shuts down at about the same percentage, and when I verify the disc later it reads multiple bad sectors (I guess the drive shutting down during burning ruined a few dozen sectors:a)

Everything else is just fine: I can read DVD, CD, burn already formatted DVD+/-RW, everything works out fine. I put the drive back in its old home (P4 at 2200 MHZ) and now it won´t work here anymore either :eek:!!

Is this some sort of Hardware malfunction (maybe I damaged the drive when I took it out of the case?) or is there suddenly something wrong with the software (or firmware?)

Many thanks for your thoughts on this!

Which specific drive do you have (182D or 182M)? What firmware version is on the drive currently?

Hi and Welcome!

since the drive doesn’t work in the old computer, too, there seems to be something wrong with the hardware.
Please check all connectors of the drive if they are properly seated. In case you have used the same cable in both computers, try another one.

Michael

Hi!

It´s the Sh S182M drive and according to the Samsung “Win Inquiry” tool the firmware is B03. I see there´s B06 available. I´ll check it out :bigsmile:

I never thought of the cable… I may have switched it when I pulled the drive out of the old case (since I had 3 HDDs and this DVD, and they were all on IDE cables. I´ll try another one).

(The Power-cable seems fine and I´ve tried all kinds of master/slave combinations with no effect…)

Hi,[quote=ArcherTrip;2066357]It´s the Sh S182M drive and according to the Samsung “Win Inquiry” tool the firmware is B03. I see there´s B06 available. I´ll check it out :bigsmile:[/quote]I wouldn’t play with the firmware at the moment.

Have you already checked the connectors? Maybe some pins are bent or even broken.

Michael

Hi

haven´t checked the pins yet. Will do this evening (I´m in the university at this moment). But could a broken pin produce such a specific malfunction?

Hi,[quote=ArcherTrip;2066378] But could a broken pin produce such a specific malfunction?[/quote]Broken or bent pins can cause any kind of malfunctions. Bad IDE cables also…

Michael

I´ll check it both out. And I guess the problem really is some sort of faulty configuration, since the drive doesn´t “sound broken”; it just shuts down.

Hello…

I checked all pins, they´re all straight. And I testet two different IDe cables, nothing changes. It still shuts down at 97 % formatting.

One interesting aspect is, that it appears to be able to format cheap DVD+RW and not SONY DVD+RW (which before, it always did flawlessly!). I used a Platinum DVD and it worked up to 100%!!

How can this be?? It would mean the drive suddenly can´t write Sony any more :confused: From the exact same cake box as before?!

This is strange, indeed. I have no idea what’s going wrong there :confused:

Read my thread, posted 3 minutes ago. Will explain alot about SH-S182x drive. I think SH stands for SH**. If you can, get a refund on the drive and don’t buy Samsung again. Otherwise, get warranty replacement and pray nothing goes wrong. Cheers.

[QUOTE=ArcherTrip;2067083]Hello…

I checked all pins, they´re all straight. And I testet two different IDe cables, nothing changes. It still shuts down at 97 % formatting.

One interesting aspect is, that it appears to be able to format cheap DVD+RW and not SONY DVD+RW (which before, it always did flawlessly!). I used a Platinum DVD and it worked up to 100%!!

How can this be?? It would mean the drive suddenly can´t write Sony any more :confused: From the exact same cake box as before?![/QUOTE]

Buy a new 80 wire ide cable and see if that will solve your problem. I’ve had some dvd media in spindles that were somewhat defective because they would not burner faster than 4x speed. Also try another spindle of dvd media. :wink:

Hello!

Problem solved. “sort of”. I was trying yet another configuration last week when the drive suddenly started sounding like a circular saw :eek:. I shut it down and took the disc out . It looked like the protective layer had been partially scratched (or burned) off :sad:

I took it back to Saturn and was in luck as I got a replacement right away without having to wait weeks and months for the drive to be send back to the manufacturer. But it was the exact same drive, only new. Another SH S182M (I had actually hoped to get another).

But I was pretty suprised to see and hear it work. The old one was a good deal louder, got a lot hotter and never burned passed 14.2x. This one actually reached 16.1x :bigsmile:. This seems to indicate that the old drive was defective from the beginning (about 6 months ago) and finally broke down when I took it out of the old computer case.

From what I´ve read here, Cheap Samsung drives don´t seem to work all that well. Since I have 2 years of warranty on it I´ll probably end up returning this one as well in a few months:iagree:…