Malfunctioning LiteOns. . . Is there a pattern?

I’ve noticed several posts over the past few days regarding LiteOns; mainly 40125S, that are producing discs with lots of errors when scanned with Nero CD Speed ScanDisc. I’ve personally experienced this with a rebadged LiteOn (Memorex 48MAXX 48/12/48).

I’m wondering if there’s a pattern to all this? Perhaps attributable to a bad batch of drives that slipped past QC? :confused:

The drive I had problems with had a manufacture date: June 2002. The serial# wouldn’t be of much help with my drive because it’s a Memorex serial#.

Maybe we can define a pattern? If you’ve had this experience would you please reply to this thread.

TY :slight_smile:

99.9% of these “problems” are due to media. Either the over-speeding of media, or just crappy media. Many problems are also secondary to firmware flashing to “O/C” a drive. It’s also very normal for drives to have a fair amount of variation in the tolerances which will result in one drive performing better than another on read tests. Considering the vast numbers of LiteOn drives being bought, the most remarkable thing about the problem reports is the lack of them!

Originally posted by rdgrimes
It’s also very normal for drives to have a fair amount of variation in the tolerances which will result in one drive performing better than another on read tests.

So then it’s within the realm of possibility that the drives are not actually producing damaged or unreadable sectors, rather the results in ScanDisc are incorrect due to these variations? That would make sense to me, the way you explained it. I had ruled out crappy media in my case as I tested using Fuji 48x (TY manufactured) CD-Rs. Thanks for replying.

btw I always get different results when testing the same CD with CD-quality or Scan Disc several times. Is it normal? If so, then it isn’t a very reliable tool for the test. If not, how come I am getting different (sometime opposite) results?

It’s true that CDSpeed is not 100% accurate. But it is measuring read errors, not write quality per se.
Most members here feel that the only acceptable quality test is “0” errors and a full-speed reading. If you are seeing errors, you should slow the write speed for that media, and/or try reading in another drive.

I recently got the 40125S and even with the latest firmware flashed have errors with TY 40x CDRs. To make a disc of sufficient quality for a spanned Ghost image I have dropped the write speed to 16x. I have not had further time to investigate.

Having to drop down from 40x to 16x is pretty drastic with good media. I had found that in my case dropping from 48x to 40x resulted in good burns. Do you have DMA enabled?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Most members here feel that the only acceptable quality test is “0” errors and a full-speed reading. If you are seeing errors, you should slow the write speed for that media, and/or try reading in another drive.

And most members here do get 0 errors at full-speed reading right? So I guess it shouldn’t be very difficult for me to achieve that as well. However, I don’t :frowning: .

Actually I only burned a few of my CDs at 40x or 32x and that is when I bought the drive. After I noticed the quality results were so shocking and confusing, I burned them all no more than 16x now. But that doesn’t seem to improve the quality either. At the moment, I am pretending I didn’t see those results :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess you will probably want to say that my media are all craps (I thought about it too…:P). But then I burned a Mandrake 9.0 Installation CD using Verbatim DataLifePlus 16x CD @12x with original firmware for 40125s (which is considered good media right?) recently. Still about 40% errors. I also tested with WSES, which I only got hold of it very recently, and had similar result.

Could it really just be that my unit is flawed?

oh btw I tested them with my Teac532S SCSI drive, then the results are alot better for most of them.

I have the 48x12x48 and prior to FW VS08 CDSpeed used to report errors as well. After I flashed to VS08 I haven’t seen any errors. In my case new firmware took care of my problems.

USER ERROR

As list in my sig, I have a 40125S that’s OCed to 48125W. I’ve had no problem what so ever for any burns I did using either CloneCD or Nero all with default settings while using TDK media, made by Ritek.

I’d agree.

I’ve had my 40125S for about 6 months now, I just flashed it to a 48125S (VS08) around the start of october. The only problems I’ve had were with some Fuji (TY) 24x being rated at 16x by Smart-Burn.

I’ve burnt only about 2 spindles of cheap ritek and POSTECH, so far I’ve had no errors in scandisc or cd quality checker. All the TY and Mitsui discs I’ve burnt have turned out perfect as well.

If you’re having problems, take a close look at the media you use, and try not to burn it at a speed higher than it’s rated by the manufacturer (NOT what smartburn rates it). Also make sure your reads are not the source of the errors.

Just for the sake of ruling out (or finding) a link between these probs :

Win2k SP3
Nero 5.5.9.14
CloneCD 4
ASPI 4.72

AthlonXP 1700+
LTR-40125S(@48125S VS08) - Secondary Master
Maxtor 6L040J2 40gb ATA-100 - Primary Master

Originally posted by cdfreaksck
[B]

And most members here do get 0 errors at full-speed reading right? So I guess it shouldn’t be very difficult for me to achieve that as well. However, I don’t :frowning: . [/B]

Actually, yes. I am getting 0 errors now with the new drive at 48x. I’m checking the results using the burner as a reader, and a LiteOn LTD-163 for comparison. With the old burner both were showing a lot of errors at the end of the disk. I made no changes to my system. Simply swapped the old drive with the new one. I don’t think it was user error, or bad media. No disrespect intended to anyone.

Thanks for the comments.

I will post my reply in my own thread so that I don’t need to do it in two threads.

Please come and help me figure it out, thanks. :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56458

Actually this sounds like how CPU is rated, doesn’t it?

eg. the ones that are guaranteed to run at higher speed get labelled at higher speed hence higher price tag.

then if you want to o/c a CPU, which rated at slower speed from the same production line, you need a bit of luck and better cooling fan (e.g. better CD media in our case.)