Making Region 0 DVD from R2 source, need guidepath!

Hi all–

Here’s what I’m looking to do, here are the programs I have, I just need some way of getting from here to there. I have NOT seen any tutorials online telling about this exact line of thought, I don’t even know if some of what I’m after has been attempted, but here goes:

I am interested in ripping several segments from R2 DVD’s, converting to R0/all-region, adding menus, and burning to DVD-R.

Along the way, I realize that there’s a discontinuity between PAL (25fps) and NTSC (29.97fps) and I would need to rectify that somehow so the programs don’t run too fast. I also have to lay in an audio track (to be dubbed from VHS) on one of the segments to fix a problem.

I know the first step is using DVD Decrypter to rip the files and remove region coding. DVDD removes RCE but does it remove the region, period? Or is that in the IFO files which I (hopefully) don’t have to worry about since I’m going to be constructing new IFO’s?

Once I have the VOB files, etc., I need to demux. This involves, unless I’m mistaken, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. What settings would get me into a nice, editable format (i.e. laying in the new audio, etc.)?

What’s this about changing header files for NTSC or PAL using DVD Patcher? The only documentation I can find for the program is in German. Is it necessary that I use this program for some purpose? If so, when during the above process?

The program I hope to use, if it doesn’t give me any more trouble, to synch up the audio and video, on a timeline view, is Adobe Premiere 6.5. I am also thinking that Premiere might be able to spread out the a/v on the timeline view so that I can have the programs play at their normal running length and not be too fast or too slow. (multiply the program that runs too fast by the running time conversion 29.97/25 in seconds, and make that the new running time, it should slow the program down enough, in theory, to be more like the running time it should be).

What is also slowing me down is the resolution conversion. I know NTSC and PAL are different, and when I tried in DVD Patcher to adjust the resolution, it smooshed the left and right sides and cut the bottom of the picture completely. Is there a way to resize instead of crop, add black areas, whatever I need to make the NTSC screen res work? Or is it even necessary in an all-region disc to resize the res this way?

The basic process, I imagine, goes like this:

Rip to HD -> use DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc to demux -> mux to MPEG to edit as necessary -> re-encode at new bitrate -> demux with TMPGEnc -> put in DVD authoring program -> burn to DVD

If anyone’s had the patience to go through this, well, I would appreciate any and all replies!

Best,

-DH

ntsc to pal??

oh man…that will take some time
makingit region free is simple (dvddecryptor…or…anydvd can do that)

have a look at

www.doom9.net
www.vcdhelp.com

for the ntsc to pal conversion…i hope you have time
(btw…are you sure you need the conversion??)

<QUOTE>ntsc to pal??</QUOTE>

<QUOTE>oh man…that will take some time
makingit region free is simple (dvddecryptor…or…anydvd can do that)</QUOTE>

It’s a PAL->NTSC conversion, not the other way around. Still I understand what you’re saying, it will take time. And yeah, it’s pretty darn important that I get the correct timing on these programs.

~DH

Oops…yes

the other way around…just tried to explain someone who wante ntsc to pal…i think that confused me

did you check the links i posted?
they have guides about ntsc>>pal and pal>>ntsc

Originally posted by Daimon Hellstrom
[B]The basic process, I imagine, goes like this:

Rip to HD -> use DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc to demux -> mux to MPEG to edit as necessary -> re-encode at new bitrate -> demux with TMPGEnc -> put in DVD authoring program -> burn to DVD

If anyone’s had the patience to go through this, well, I would appreciate any and all replies!

Best,

-DH [/B]

Arr why not look at just rip to HD, re-encode to new bitrate ( I would use the DVD to DVDR Tutorial for this but enter the CD size to be 1/6 of the 4400 if your putting 6 onto the one DVDR). Then load the VOB files into DVDLab, edit out what you dont want, add any extra movies and re-author to a set of VOB files ready to burn.

If any is NTSC and you want them as PAL, then have a read at http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html