Making DVD

My first question. I have made several attempts during past couple months to burn a DVD from videos which are loaded on my computer .All goes well until I insert the disc.then a message says " insert disc in drive " or “there is no disc in drive” .Whether I use a DVD-R W or DVD+RW themessage is the same.
Can some one help me .I am at my wits end.
My computer is Hp dc5000SFF with CD ROM HL-DT_ST-RW/DVD-Gcc 44828. HP states that the DVD Burner was installed when computer was built but since the warranty has expired I may get no help from HP unless I pay,even if hp does not have to do any thing. The operating System is Windows XP prfessional. I paid discs to restore but there was a message that the present system has been upgrade beyond the original.

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=cleanstake@aol.com;2239531 " insert disc in drive " or “there is no disc in drive” .Whether I use a DVD-R W or DVD+RW themessage is the same.
(…)
My computer is Hp dc5000SFF with CD ROM HL-DT_ST-RW/DVD-Gcc 44828.[/quote]This is a Combo drive, that can read (already recorded) DVD discs and read/write CD discs. It cannot write to blank DVD media.

If you want to burn DVDs, you need to buy a DVD writer.

Michael