Making DVD Movie Backups with CloneDVD

vbimport

This will hopfully help most new users back a backup of their DVD movies using CloneDVD. First let me explain a little. A normal Store bought DVD movie is put onto a DVD9 disk, this means that the DVD is 2 layers and has 9.4 Gigs of storage. Now a DVD-R or DVD+R only holds 4.7 Gigs. So if the movie that you want to backup has lots of special features and the movie itself is really long, it could actaully fill up the whole 9.4Gigs on storage. However most movies will not take up that much space. DVD9 Movies that you get from the store usually have a copy protection on them that will not allow you to copy the movie to your HD, you will need to use a program to Decrypt the movie and throw its files to your HD. Please note that for backing-up a DVD movie will need aroud 10-14Gigs of free HD space.

Step 1.

First we will need to decrypt the movie. This means taking all the files from the DVD and copying them to the harddrive. CloneDVD does not do this yet for legal reasons so we will have to use a different program for doing this. DVD Decrypter is a freeware program that works very well. ( http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ ) Download it here and install it. Once it is installed start the program and put the DVD movie into your DVDRom in your computer, select the drive that you put the movie in. Now click on the “Mode” menu and switch the mode to “File”. On the right window you will see a list of files, these are all the files on the DVD. Hit alt + A to select all the files in the list, now select the desination in the desination box by hittin the “Folder Icon”. Hit “DVD > HD” icon that is in the left bottom of the window and let the program rip away, might take a few mins, it is a lot of data to transfer.

Step2.

Once the DVD is done ripping close the DVD Dectryper and start up CloneDVD. Now here we have some options to consider.

2.1 Burning just the Main Feature.

The first button “Copy DVD Titles” will allow you to copy the Main Feature only. You might want to do this if you are looking for the highest quality and you are not interested in any special features or menu items. First you will need to select the folder that you ripped the movie to, for me I ripped it to my D: drive and this was my path “D:\TEARS_OF_THE_SUN\VIDEO_TS”. The VIDEO_TS folder is the one with all the files in it. Once you hit the open button you will see all the “Video Titles” appear. You will be able to see their size and how many chapters they have, you will also be able to select the preview tab and watch a preview of the title you have selected. You will need to place Check marks next to the titles that you want to copy to the DVD-R. The main feature will usually be the longest title with the most chapters find it and if it and put a checkmark in the box next to it if there ins’t already one. Now hit next and on the next page you will be able to select your Channel options for your audio and what languages and subtitles you want to burn to the DVDR. Now hit next and you end up on the Output Method menu. You will need to select CloneDVD to burn the movie to a DVD writer. You will need to select a Temp directory, this will need to have about 5 Gigs of free space. When you are ready, hit the GO button and CloneDVD will preform any compressions need to fit the movie onto your DVDR. Let it run and when it is finished it should open the tray.

2.2 Buring the Whole DVD movie, Menu, Features and everything.

Click on the “Clone DVD” button. You will need to select the folder where you dumped the DVD movie files to. I ripped mine to my D: drive and this was my path “D:\TEARS_OF_THE_SUN\VIDEO_TS”. All the Titles and chapters will appear, hit the next button to select what audio and subtitles options you want. The less you select here the more room on the DVDR you will have and less CloneDVD will need to compress your movie. I don’t know about you but I do not like watching movies in languages that I do not understand, so I will usually leave those languages unchecked. Now hit next and you end up on the Output Method menu. You will need to select CloneDVD to burn the movie to a DVD writer. You will need to select a Temp directory, this will need to be about 5 Gigs of free space. When you are ready, hit the GO button and CloneDVD will preform any compressions need to fit the movie onto your DVDR. Let it run and when it is finished it should open the tray.

2.3 Buring movie files that have already been sized to fit on a DVDR.

Select the “Write Existing Data” Button if you have already compressed your DVD movie down to size so that it will fit on a DVDR. Simply Select your source (By browsing to the folder where your Movie Files are waiting and select the folder.) and then your output and hit go.

Please post any guestions you might still have or any suggestions you might have on changing this post. Thanks

PS. I do have Pics that I wanted to add but have no where to upload them. let me know if anyone knows of a place where I can do so. Thanks.

When i use dvd decrypter to decrypt the movie and then start up clonedvd to burn the movie,the programm say (writing to video dvd was not successful writedvd 5 5.)

What does it mean ?

Is it possible to burn with dvd-r and dvd+r

hsbc

This sounds like A CloneDVD error message. Here is probebly the first couple of things that Ollie will say when he tries to help you so let me get it out of the way.

Make sure you have the newest Firmware for your burner.
Make sure your media is compatible with your burner.

And also please let us know exactly when it happens, does it happen while coding it or when you burn. Thanks

PS. Should not matter if it is a dvd-r or dvd+r as long as your burner supports them.