Making copies of copies of copies

vbimport

I am pretty inept at all things computer related…that is why i joined this forum. I have a pretty basic question. If you have a copy of a cd on a CDR disc(but not the actual storebought cd), if you make a copy of that copy and a copy of that copy and so on, do you lose sound quality with each new copy of the previous copy. I have heard that it is a good idea to make an initial copy and write the date it was burned on the copied cdr, and then make a new copy of that copy a few years or so later and so on…any info on this type of stuff would be much appreciated
thanks

The information is stored digitally. You will not get a loss of quality in the sound from copying, though you might get errors as the dye in the cd degrades over time.

Store the disks properly, out of sunlight, and try not to get dirt, smudges, grease, etc on the disks----anything that will interfere with the reading of information off the disks.

If you make a copy of a copy, it will be exactly the same as original.
What you heard is concerning how long writable media retain info since the dye used is not stable.
This is discussed many times and on money forums, but really, nobody know, since all this is not that old.
If you worry about loosing info, than everyone agree that the tape is still the best for backup.
As for CD, you should always buy a good brand to be sure. There are CD made for data backup, not sure if they are any better, but they claim to be good for 75 years.
If you are talking about DVD, the brand is even more important there, specialy for DVD/DL.

I keep my discs in pretty good shape and most of the cdr discs that i have from at least a few years back play just fine. So basically the issue would be making a new copy before the dye deteriorates on the old copy, right? That is always the assumption that I have made…

[QUOTE=smilingcow77;2115412]So basically the issue would be making a new copy before the dye deteriorates on the old copy, right?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

The content will remain the same…

Copies of copies is only good as the quality of the media you copy to … so basically crap media you will get crap results…or ex source media to verbatim will give good results but do slow the burns speed when doing so to at least 2x media rate speed. Burning speed can also be a media killer in producing bad burns and don’t multitask while burning this will greatly improve your chances for coasters exponentially. So general rule when burning or copying don’t do anything else give all the resources to the computer to do it’s job. Then when it’s done you can have all the fun you want after that. That the Rule I follow by and it’s worked well for me.

So another possibly silly question…if an old ass cdr disc still plays fine, that would mean that the disc is still readable, right?
You still should be able to make a copy of it in say, roxio creator?
Also, once the digital info is burnt to a new disc, the info should continue to be readable as long as the dye is intact on the new disc, correct? Basically my plan is to get quality discs, label them with the date that they were burnt, and roughly every 2 years make a new copy of the previous copy to avoid losing info due to deteriation of the dye in disc…this may seem excessive to some, and i dont wish to beat a dead horse here, but i have a lot of important digital info that i need to save for myself and family…just wanted to see if this seems like a sensible plan…and if this makes sense. Id rather have overkill and piece of mind, than not enough.
Thanx

If you really worry about your data, than buy an external HD and copy all discs to that. Otherwise your assumption is correct.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2118560]If you really worry about your data, than buy an external HD and copy all discs to that. Otherwise your assumption is correct.[/QUOTE]

That sounds all good and stuff but remember if it crashes your out of data as well…so there are flaws to HDD storage as well…I myself would go for DVD media storage of good quality if your going to do that every two years…be it Verbatim DVD5 or DVD9 media. And get a good storage case to protect them to prolong their lifespan as well and follow their media directions label printed on the media box when you buy them for proper storage to prolong the lifetime of the media. Oh yeah back to HDD they are sensitive to static shock that can wipe out all or kill the HDD.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2118585] Oh yeah back to HDD they are sensitive to static shock that can wipe out all or kill the HDD.[/QUOTE]

Good point.
External hard drive is enclosed in a metal box and grounded, so unless you touch the USB port pins, there is no problem.