Making best quality FLAC files

vbimport

I’ve downloaded a few albums in FLAC where the download also includes such things as ‘accurip’, ‘log reports’, ‘TAU analyzer graphs’ etc. All very professional looking stuff which suggests (to me anyway) that the CP rip you’ve downloaded is of the highest quality.

When I make FLAC copies of my own CD’s, I use Wavepad (which is similar to Audacity). It’s very simple, load the CD, save as FLAC and that’s it – no logs, graphs or other documents.

Which makes me wonder – are my FLAC files as good as the ones I’ve downloaded?

Since FLAC is lossless and if you don’t get read errors from the CD I would say, yes. Your files are just as good.

Thanks hlse. You’ve reminded me of another issue, though. When saving as FLAC, I can choose from 8 different levels (8 being ‘best’). So, if FLAC-8 is ‘best’ what does that make FLAC-1? Surely it doesn’t deserve the ‘lossless’ moniker if it’s not of the same standard as FLAC-8…

[QUOTE=pooksahib;2674650] When saving as FLAC, I can choose from 8 different levels (8 being ‘best’). So, if FLAC-8 is ‘best’ what does that make FLAC-1? Surely it doesn’t deserve the ‘lossless’ moniker if it’s not of the same standard as FLAC-8…[/QUOTE] All the FLAC levels are lossless and have the same quality. The difference is that you can let the compressor work hardest to create the smallest file (level 8) or it can work the fastest and not compress as much (level 1) or somewhere in-between (levels 2-7).

[QUOTE=hlse;2674646]Since FLAC is lossless and if you don’t get read errors from the CD I would say, yes. Your files are just as good.[/QUOTE]

Not always the case. I’ve ripped to FLAC from Media Monkey and had problems with the tracks, even though the rip went fine.

Frankly, if you are going to take the time to rip to FLAC, you might as well do it right. Get EAC or dBPoweramp set up properly and linked to Accurip and then start in.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2674734]Not always the case. I’ve ripped to FLAC from Media Monkey and had problems with the tracks, even though the rip went fine.

Frankly, if you are going to take the time to rip to FLAC, you might as well do it right. Get EAC or dBPoweramp set up properly and linked to Accurip and then start in.[/QUOTE]

Ok. It may depend on what program you use. I’ve used Flac Frontend on XP ( Not good for Win7 64 ) with great result.

[QUOTE=hlse;2674738]Ok. It may depend on what program you use. I’ve used Flac Frontend on XP ( Not good for Win7 64 ) with great result.[/QUOTE]

I’m using version 1.71 on Win7 x64 here with no problems (set to run as administrator).