Making back-ups of DVDs in the UK

Hi,

New on here so bare with me if this is in the wrong section…

I was hoping someone could clear something up for me… is it illegal or not to make a personal back-up of purchased DVDs in the UK? I’ve done quite a lot of “googleing” etc to try and sort this one out, and keep getting mixed responses. I read that it was made illegal to do this in the US in 2004, but havnt been able to find anything definite about it in the UK…i’ve heard mixed opinions on the matter, as im guessing the definition of this particular law is quite shady and unknown…does anyone know for certain whether it is (or isnt) illegal to do this?

Thanks in advanced,

Luke

p.s…how do i go about changing my password from this crazy long one to one i can actually remember :stuck_out_tongue: cheers

ohh, i got the password thing. lol

Here my short reply as long as your do it for your own purpose and own the DVD your free to do as you wish permitting your not selling to another party…something to that line…

But since you purchased it you own it…and can do as you wish within the letter of the law…so if you use the Slysoft products to back your movie noone can really stop you from doing that…

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard lukenn. :iagree: :clap:
Like most things it is never easy to explain.
But technically you have the right to protect your property. This to include backups. So legal.
However to remove copy protection (contained on original media) or ownership of s/w for such purposes is not legal.
Of course it is chicken & egg.
You can’t do one without using the other.
Currently in the UK I know of no-one who is using the relevant s/w for backup purposes only. (You need the originals). To be prosecuted so far.
Only folk with ‘commercial’ like setups have had equipment etc confiscated. Along with fines etc.

Strictly speaking, UK law does not permit copying of movie or audio dvds for personal back-up purposes (copying of software dvds for personal back-up purposes is permitted).

That said, no-one has ever been prosecuted in the UK for making a personal back-up copy of a dvd that they have purchased and it is highly unlikely that there ever will be such a prosecution.

[QUOTE=philamber;1937674]Strictly speaking, UK law does not permit copying of movie or audio dvds for personal back-up purposes (copying of software dvds for personal back-up purposes is permitted).

That said, no-one has ever been prosecuted in the UK for making a personal back-up copy of a dvd that they have purchased and it is highly unlikely that there ever will be such a prosecution.[/QUOTE]

I’d imagine that in those circumstances the company trying to pursue a prosecution would find it impossible to demonstrate any loss.

[B]Wombler[/B]