Making a new pc just for games

vbimport

Hi… i am new to this forum. i am going to write down the best setup that i find in my country to built a pc just for games… i check all the products and i didn’t find any mistakes about compabilities but more help and more opinions about the setup are always helpful:)

Tower: THERMALTAKE VH6000BWS ARMOR+ WINDOW BLACK
PSU: THERMALTAKE PC Toughpower W0131RED 850W
Motherboard: ASUS P6T7 WS SuperComputer - Socket 1366 - Chipset X58 - SSI CEB
CPU: Intel Core i7-950 - 3.06 GHz
Ram: Corsair PC Dominator-GT 3 x 2 GÎ’ DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL7
Graphic Card: SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 5970 OC - 2 GÎ’ GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (21165-01-50R)
Sound Card: Creative 7.1 PCI Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Hard Drive 1: OCZ Solid State Disk (SSD) Vertex Turbo Series 2.5" - 60 GÎ’ - SATA II
Hard Drive 2: WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black WD2001FASS - 2 TÎ’ - 7200 RPM - 64 MÎ’ - SATA-300

*before 2 days i was going for ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution - Socket LGA1366 - Chipset Intel X58 + ICH10R - ATX motherboard but yesterday i found one p6t7 available… those 2 have many difference in perfomance? which one did you suggest?
** and for graphic gard maybe i can find ASUS Radeon EAH5970 - 2 GÎ’ GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5). this is better than the sapphire?
*** i am going to run it with windows 7 ultimate - 32 bit

thanks for all the help
Pavlos

Welcome to the forum pkliatsos :slight_smile:

Thats going to be one heck of a gaming system. So it looks good for the most part. For the OS you should get the 64-bit version because you need that to recognize more than 4GB of RAM. That sound card is rather old and not the best out there, personally I would put that money towards quality speakers instead and start with the audio that is built into the MB which is pretty good quality.

The two video cards are a toss up, they will be virtually identical. Usually the only thing that sets them apart is the colorful sticker and the warranty.

edit: Also try to get a power supply that is gold or bronze rated, also modular is better. If you can get the Seasonic X750 that would be a good choice, here is a list of other PSU’s meeting that criteria Link

[QUOTE=eric93se;2475700]For the OS you should get the 64-bit version because you need that to recognize more than 4GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

Yes but i read that the 64-bit OS does not recognise some games… drivers and maybe programs

That sound card is rather old and not the best out there, personally I would put that money towards quality speakers instead and start with the audio that is built into the MB which is pretty good quality.

so your telling me that the motherboard sound is going to be better than this sound card? you know when creative is going to realise the new series? i have logitech z5500 surround system and i thing that are good for know:)

also… about motherboard? here they have huge difference in price… p6t6 is 280 euro and p6t7 is from 430 to 470

about power supply i can’t find anywhere here any gold or brownse series:( is huge difference?

There are no real problems for 64-bit OS currently, in the past I know there were big driver issues. Just about everyone that is good with PC’s on the interent is getting the 64bit version, the only reason to get the 32bit version is if your making a home theater PC.

If you intend to still use the Z5500 speakers you should be able to use a digital input from the MB and there would zero quality difference between the MB sound and a sound card. Personally I’ve setup the Z5500 for a friend and they were good for movies but not very good for music.

the p6t7 is definitely overkill for a gaming computer and would not show one extra frame when gaming, it would only be for someone who likes to burn money. Gigabyte also makes good MB’s, the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 would be a good choice. The p6t6 is a good choice but a little overkill too.

The power supply you picked seems to be an older model, so thats why I was suggesting the newer standard. But I guess the 80+ standard must be a USA thing. If you pick one that is in that link I put in the above post if should be good. If you unsure of how good the model is just ask us here.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2475866]There are no real problems for 64-bit OS currently, in the past I know there were big driver issues. Just about everyone that is good with PC’s on the interent is getting the 64bit version, the only reason to get the 32bit version is if your making a home theater PC[/QUOTE]

so all the games and applications are going to play on 64bit as well as 32bit versions with no problems? what about the movies and music? any difference in sound quality?

If you intend to still use the Z5500 speakers you should be able to use a digital input from the MB and there would zero quality difference between the MB sound and a sound card. Personally I’ve setup the Z5500 for a friend and they were good for movies but not very good for music.

i have analog connectors now, maybe i can use digital (i didn’t try this before- is huge difference in quality?). i think they are the best speakers for pc i can found here so no need for me to change them…

The p6t6 is a good choice but a little overkill too.

by the term overkill you mean? actually i like p6t7 disign a lot and maybe am going to buy it and not p6t6. i like asus thats why i didn’t search other companies and i want the best asus motherboard for i7.

*am not going to use overclock for now

All software will have no problem using the 64bit OS. When buying hardware like a video capture card (TV tuner) it’s important to make sure the company has drivers for Win7 64bit.

You should see a difference in sound quality using the digital input.

For the MB I mean there are a lot of features the average user does not need in such an expensive MB. You can read reviews for MB’s on newegg.com

ok :slight_smile: thanks a lot. i am going with 64 bit then, saphhire graphic card and am going to chose which one motherboard when i order them :slight_smile:

thanks a lot.
Pavlos

[QUOTE=pkliatsos;2475814]Yes but i read that the 64-bit OS does not recognise some games… drivers and maybe programs[/QUOTE]

Those problems cropped up mainly with Windows XP 64-bit, which was a very immature OS.

On the other hand, if you insist on using a 32-bit version of Windows, you might run into problems running it on a system with as much memory as the 6 GB you have for your soon-to-be-assembled system. In my experience all 32-bit versions of Windows do not see more than 3.29 GB of total installed RAM. And some systems with more than 4 GB of installed RAM may hiccup (or not run stably, if at all) when attempting to run a 32-bit Windows OS.