Making a DVD's quality higher

I’m trying to copy the original “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” the quality is ok, but nether the less I want to make the quality higher. Is the any program I can use to do this? If it involves encoding it, then I don’t want to know. I have AnyDVD, DVDShrink(which I love), DVD Decrypter, and WinAVI Video Converter.

You can’t create what isn’t there. Best thing is to try sharpening, which may well make it look worse, or softening. Depends on what you will be watching it on. You’ll have to buy a proper recoding tool to do this. But more than likely, any re-coding you do will make it worse.

I have it on LaserDisc, BTW. :smiley:

well, instead of buring the menus and trailers and stuff, just burn the main movie and also remove audio tracks that u don’t need. that will make sure that the quality of your copy will be as close to the original DVD as possible.

what about making a copy to DVD+R DL no compression needed

You can (as mentioned) eliminate all extraneous unneeded material, and, for everything you can get rid of, the quality can be increased. You can dump all extras. You can dump all soundtracks you do not need, and even subtitles, FBI warnings, etc.

You can also do what I do on every DVD… use no compression at all, so you end up with picture quality which is equal to the original.

Two methods to do this:

Method 1.)–> Split the DVD to two discs. Disc one has the first part of the movie. Disc Two has the last part of the main movie, and it also has any extras, deleted scenes, outtakes, coming attractions, etc. This method can be done using DVDShrink, but you lose menus.

Or, you can use other tools (I use VOBBlanker) and that way you can even keep all menus on both discs.

Method 2.) --> Invest in a couple of dual layer blanks. Then, you get the original picture quality, with no splitting at all. Dual Layer blanks are on sale right now at two places for only $2.00 per disc, so they are finally becoming “reasonable” for most. And, the ones I am referring to are the ones that are widely considered the very best, for dual layer burning (the Verbatim DVD+R dual layer 2.4X).

-Bruce

The “original” version of the HHGTTG was only in VHS and Laserdisc, DVD’s did not yet exist. I believe this is what the OP has got, but I could be wrong. I think he wants to improve the quality of the old broadcast-quality video.

The BBC put the original series on R2 DVD in the UK.

Ah, didn’t know that. Too bad it wasn’t released here. Still, it’s pretty low-quality video. I doubt there’s much that can be done with it.

The dvd’s are also available in Canada. What I did when I backed up mine was use Shrink in re-author mode like mentioned above, and making sure there was no compression, cut it into 3? discs, if I remember right.

Oops, I see it’s available here too. 3 hrs on one DVD, I see what’s up. Yep, if a DL disc is not possible, splitting is the way to go.