Making a dvd using vts files

vbimport

I recorded several DVD’s on my recorder. They recorded like a VTS_02_1. VTS_03_1 etc. Different videos but all have the same file name and when I add them to Nero to burn ,I get a couple on then it tells me it says cannot add because I have that file already on. I hope someone understands this I may not be saying it right. What I have is like 10 different dvd’s that dont have very much on each one and im trying to put them all on 1 DVD but all the file names are the same and I cannot change the names and nero won’t let me add.

Welcome to the forums tuck7539

First you have to understand the structure of dvds. Every dvd ever made has a Video_TS folder which contains .vob, .ifo and .bup files. The vob files contain the actual video and audio streams. The ifo and bup files are navigation files. [B]All[/B] are necessary for a dvd to play as dvd-video.

You should not remove the files from the Video_TS folder. And you should have the Video_TS folder within another folder with the name of your dvd. If you just import this into Nero Burning Rom and try to burn the folders onto a disk, it may not work as you like. You need to add them to the authoring program in Nero.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are using single layer dvds, you should not try to put more than 2 to 2 1/2 hrs of video on them. A double layer dvd can probably hold 4 hrs max. DVD video uses mpeg2 video codec and is not the best at compression.

Here’s another thing to try if Nero will not let you import the dvds as individual folders.

Run each dvd through Vob2Mpg (a free program found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG). This will give you an mpeg file from each dvd, with no loss in quality.

Then import each mpeg file into an authoring program. Nero burning suite has one, but its not my favorite. In fact I wouldn’t use Nero for much of anything.

You could import each mpeg file into AVStoDVD and output a complete dvd with a menu to select each individual file. Set AVStoDVD to output a dvd that complies with your area (US uses NTSC, most everywhere else uses PAL). Also set the output size (DVD-5 is a single layer), and make sure to set the program not to reencode video and audio that is already dvd compliant. (in Preferences). You can find AVStoDVD here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD It is free to use also.

AVStoDVD can make use of an excellent burning program called ImgBurn, but you could also burn the resulting dvd with Nero if you prefer.

You need to rip each DVD to your hard drive to it’s own folder. You can then change the file names .
There is no reason you can’t name them .
VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_48_1.VOB .
I couldn’t fit all the files onto this screenshot but it is a DVD made from several YouTube .flv’s . The same principal applies.
If Nero won’t work for you try DVDFlick.
You may need to use it’s append to make you files work with DVDFlick.
Sometimes the extra step is necessary & sometimes not.
If that fails you may also be able to use DVDShrink.

Since it’s stuff you recorded you can also use DVD Shrink in re-author mode. Here’s one of many guides on how to do that: http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/46/59/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2608656]Here’s another thing to try if Nero will not let you import the dvds as individual folders.

Run each dvd through Vob2Mpg (a free program found here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG). This will give you an mpeg file from each dvd, with no loss in quality.

Then import each mpeg file into an authoring program. Nero burning suite has one, but its not my favorite. In fact I wouldn’t use Nero for much of anything.

You could import each mpeg file into AVStoDVD and output a complete dvd with a menu to select each individual file. Set AVStoDVD to output a dvd that complies with your area (US uses NTSC, most everywhere else uses PAL). Also set the output size (DVD-5 is a single layer), and make sure to set the program not to reencode video and audio that is already dvd compliant. (in Preferences). You can find AVStoDVD here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD It is free to use also.

AVStoDVD can make use of an excellent burning program called ImgBurn, but you could also burn the resulting dvd with Nero if you prefer.[/QUOTE] Thanks for you help, but I got all lost on that.

[QUOTE=cholla;2608659]You need to rip each DVD to your hard drive to it’s own folder. You can then change the file names .
There is no reason you can’t name them .
VTS_01_1.VOB to VTS_48_1.VOB .
I couldn’t fit all the files onto this screenshot but it is a DVD made from several YouTube .flv’s . The same principal applies.
If Nero won’t work for you try DVDFlick.
You may need to use it’s append to make you files work with DVDFlick.
Sometimes the extra step is necessary & sometimes not.
If that fails you may also be able to use DVDShrink.
[/QUOTE] this looks like the easiest way as soon as i figure out how to rip it to my videos on my hard drive. Thank You

Ok, this is just my bias, but I prefer to reauthor when combining dvds. This will let you make a menu where you can select each one individually. Or you can hit the Play All button if you want to play them in sequence.

I’ll go through the process step by step for you.

First, download Vob2Mpg. I gave you the link earlier. Install it and start the program. Now, look at this picture:

Vob2Mpg normally starts in IFO mode, so you will be looking for the Video_TS.IFO file in your first dvd. Don’t worry, Vob2Mpg will pick it out if you go to the Video_TS folder. Then start the extraction process.

Do this for each dvd, making a mpeg file in an output folder on your hard drive.

Now, download and install AVStoDVD from the link I gave you.

When you start AVStoDVD, you’ll want to look at the main window and click on Preferences. Start with the Video tab:

And here is the Audio Tab:

Save the preferences as default and click ok.

Back on the main screen, add your videos and set output size (single or double layer dvd).

And now to make your menu all you have to do is click DVD Menu on the main page and set things the way you want in the Menu Editor. To get out of the Menu Editor, just close the window, and your new settings will be applied to the menu.

Make a name for your dvd and set a place on the hard drive where you want it. Then click Start.

Kerry with AVStoDVD don’t you need to right click on the title/edittitle/Video tab uncheck “Auto Video setup” & setup for HCEnc to do the encoding ?
At least the first time.

Probably, but I’m throwing huge amounts of information at tuck7539 as it is. :slight_smile: If he wants to fine tune the program to use a particular encoder, he can come back in and talk to us some more.

Since he should be working from existing dvds, it won’t matter which encoder is chosen, as long as it will fit onto his target disk without compression and he has put check marks in the boxes to keep compliant video and audio. If it does have to compress, I think either Quenc or HC would work ok for him on this first project.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2608692]Probably, but I’m throwing huge amounts of information at tuck7539 as it is. :slight_smile: If he wants to fine tune the program to use a particular encoder, he can come back in and talk to us some more.

Since he should be working from existing dvds, it won’t matter which encoder is chosen, as long as it will fit onto his target disk without compression and he has put check marks in the boxes to keep compliant video and audio. If it does have to compress, I think either Quenc or HC would work ok for him on this first project.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you on that Kerry .
Sometimes I can supply information too much for a newb .

tuck7539 can post if he wants to do some fine tuning.

Ya you people have the newb correct!lol I am going to try someof this stuff as soon as I can figure it out.
Have tried renaming and burning with nero6, no joy.

@ tuck7539 , First step is to rip the files to your hard drive.
I have Nero but I seldom use it. If it will rip the files from your DVD’s to the hard drive .
Do that each DVD into it’s own folder.
At that point you can rename files in numerical order . Then you won’t have files with the same name.
Once that is done I would give DVDFlick a try.
This is a short guide.
For the VTS files in each folder load the first file.
Highlight it then “Edit title” then “Add” . Add the rest of the VTS files for that folder. Then Accept.
Add the first title from the next folder & do the same as above till you have all the folders.
Hopefully this will be small enough to fit on a single layer disc.
For the first try choose the Mosaic in Menu settings & accept the default .
There are settings to make in project settings the main one being Target size DVD (4.3 GB)
You can also name your project , choose NTSC , & in Edit Title you can choose a name for the title again ,aspect ratio (match the original), the “Create DVD”.
With a little practice you can do some fine tuning.
Open the finished folder from DVDFlick with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema .
It usually works better than VLC for DVDFlick videos from a directory. Once burned to disc they work about the same.

:confused:when I did the AVS TODVD it said Warning file loaded is not an AVStoDVD file. I downloaded VOB2MPG v3.0 used that like you said and converted to mpeg. I did three folders on desktop and put the 3 differen’t converted dvd’s. I then put them in the AVS TODVD and tried to make my dvd. Thats when I got that error. So what did I do wrong? LOL. I Have been trying what others have mentioned and had no luck there either. I had also downloaded a Image burn program and it put the three different dvd’s on one. They are labled title 1, title2, and title3 When I play that DVD on my computer i have to click on title 1 and it will play the whole dvd. When I put it in my Home DVD player it plays but no sound. Thanks

To bring an mpeg file into AVStoDVD use the green + sign on the right side of the window. Do that for each file.

ok this is what I got when I converted just one dvd. AVI converter put it in my videos.Which icon do i click on to burn a dvd?

If you look in the DVD_0 folder, you should see the Video_TS folder which has .vob, .ifo and .bup files normally found in dvd video. It looks like you have done three movies separately?

Right click on the DVD_0 folder and Rename it to whatever is appropriate for your movie. You can use whatever burning program you want to burn this folder to a dvd.

I had DVD0 and DVD1 I tried to burn them and this is what I got I put dvd0 in nero and it looked like the same files I originally started with.All them tvs files etc. When I added dvd1 to nero I got this

This is because you are burning two different dvds at the same time.

If you want to combine them, you’ll have to bring [B]all[/B] the mpeg files you want included on the dvd into AVStoDVD at the same time and let AVStoDVD make ONE dvd from the various mpeg files. Make a new name for the dvd in the destination line so you’ll know which dvd has all the combined mpegs included. Also make sure to go into the Menu Editor and set up the menu the way you want, so you can select each video individually, or play them in sequence from the command Play All on the menu.