Making a backup of my copy of Marie Antoinette

Hi,
Please don’t yell at me if this information is somewhere else, but I can’t find much help with this question…
I own a copy of Marie Antoinette. I’d like to make a back up of it. It’s a sony picture, so it doesn’t work in DVD Shrink. I have read loads of information about people saying they use two programs such as cloneDVD and DVDfab (or some other combination) and I don’t understand what they mean. Could someone please clarify what you mean when you use two programs? Are they running at the same time? Do you do something with the files in one and then open them in another program?
I’m ready to rip my hair out!
I can’t believe I’ve wasted an entire Saturday trying to figure this out!
Thanks for any help (except the people who yell at me for asking such a newbie question)

You’ll find very few people around here yelling at newcomers. This is a fairly friendly site.
Welcome to the forums by the way. :slight_smile:

Now on to your problem. My suggestion is to use DVDFab HD Decrypter to decrypt and rip the movie to your hard drive.
Found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
It is a free program and is still being updated to deal with newer protections.

Once you have it on the hard drive you can use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the movie to fit onto a dvdr.

Hi pattim1972 and welcome to cdf.
You have a variety of options, really pretty simple and easy once you’ve been shown how…
DVDabdecrypter is an outstanding up-to-date ripper, but a ripper only.
It’s freeware. Simply download it and rip the flick to your hdd. This app has the capability to rip in .ISO or file mode. It will not compress.
Click on the link:
DVDFab HD Decrypter 3.2.1.0 (Oct 10, 2007)

At this point, if you’d like an non-compressed bkup, burn it with Img
If you choose to compress, probably easiest to run it through and burn with shrink (?nero).

Problems or questions, just post back… :wink:

Hey Kerry,

Beat again…(Big sigh) no fair, just cuz my typing stinks… :bigsmile:
Oh well, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike… :rolleyes:

All I can say Maineman is that you must be really slow at typing…I’m going about turtle speed most of the time. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help…
Brace yourself…here comes another stupid question:
I’ve tried using DVDfab and I’m not having any luck. You mention it is an easy (or maybe you said simple) program. Could you tell me (or direct me to where I can learn) how to use the program? I keep getting error messages.
Thanks again,
Patit

I’m such a knob. My name is Patti, not Patit.

I’m braced…jeepers that wasn’t bad.
Actually, Fengtao has finally released an online tutorial…you may have to download the latest version to access it…not sure about that?

Oops, talk about knobs… :doh:
Click on the ? mark icon…upper right corner

Hi Patti :slight_smile:

Maybe you can be interested in a good (but not free) software named AnyDVD. With it running in background you can still use DVD shrink directly on your discs :slight_smile:

You can download a trial version to check it, but at the end of the trial period you must buy a license to continue to use it.

Even if DVDFab is not really difficult to use, maybe you can find AnyDVD more user friendly because it simply runs in background and you can use dvd shrink as you already are used to do :slight_smile:

Hi Folks…
Here’s the error message I get with DVDfab:
"DVD Fab encounters a reading error…which may be removed by using Pathplayer"
I’m then told to download Pathplayer, but I have to first provide all sorts of personal information.
Opinion?

What do the error messages say?

I’ll go through the steps and you tell me where it hits a snag.
Put your dvd in the drive. Start up DVDFab HD Decrypter. It should come up and show the name of the dvd in the line for the Source. In my case, the D: drive. Next, you look on the target line and click on the folder icon at the end of that line. That allows you to look on your computer for the folder where you will put the unencrypted dvd. You can also create a new folder as your target. Once you’ve done that you click on the Start button at the bottom right and the whole dvd will be placed on the hard drive.

Now, that is the procedure for copying the entire movie in the form of files. There are other options, but lets stick with this one for the time being.

Geno888
Thanks for the suggestion.
Does one just open up anydvd and then run dvdshrink? I totally don’t get that part! I’m very easily confused… sorry.

After installing it, you need only to run it. It should work with default settings :slight_smile:

Talk about being slow… :o Can’t keep up with you guys.

Kerry56,
I’ve tried your suggestion and I get that error message saying I need to download pathplayer. I’m not sure if I should do that as it asks for a bunch of personal information.

Geno888
Thanks, I’m going to give that a shot.
Hey did Kerry56 just call me slow? I’m telling! :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t have to send any info to anyone

Geno888
I tried the suggestion you gave and I get that darn “cycle redundancy error” from dvdshrink.
Sigh.

Do you have the latest version of dvdfabdecrypter…v.3.2.1.0?
It has pathplayer.
Simply click on the little gear icon and navigate on the left and disable pathplayer.
The latest releases of Fab have PP disabled unless needed, but I’d disable it manually anyway…just to be sure.

BTW, AnyDVD is another good choice, just trying to use what you had…