Making a back up dvd

vbimport

hi I need some advice I want to make a back up dvd of my system not bothered about photos etc as I will do them separate, I have nero burning rom 2014, what is the best way to make one I am not about iso,rom, if someone could explain thank you
:bigsmile:

Are you asking about an operating system backup? Normally when I do an image of my system disk, it is much too large to fit onto a DVD, either single or double layer. In fact, my backups are too large for a single layer Blu-ray.

Best to check the size of your operating system disk first.

If you have sufficient room in your target, I’d suggest using the free version of Acronis True Image that is available from either Western Digital or Seagate. I believe the version from Seagate is called Seatools. You’ll need a hard drive in your computer from one of these two companies as a general rule, in order to use these programs.

If not, then I’d suggest Clonezilla or Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

It’s been a long time since I did a backup to DVDs.
I’ve been using an external hard drive for several years for OS backups.

When I did back up to DVDs I used AcronisTI a paid version.
It took about 6 DVDs . It will have you take one out & write some to it .
Then to another DVD . Back & forth till your done.
The same when you do a restore.

I’ve never used Nero to do a backup but it does have a backup feature IIRC.

[QUOTE=md74;2754461]hi I need some advice I want to make a back up dvd of my system not bothered about photos etc as I will do them separate, I have nero burning rom 2014, what is the best way to make one I am not about iso,rom, if someone could explain thank you
:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

If your going to backup your system files what you need to do first is move your photos, etc files. Then you can decide on the backup method. Let’s say you have Win7 you can use the Windows Backup and Restore function to backup your system image onto disk. I did this for all my families computers I built for them and it takes from 3-4 disk for the System Image and 1 Disk for the Restore disk. The Restore disk starts the process and then you put the system image disk in one at a time and that restore it back to the computer and it is back and working right away. No more rebuilding from the ground up and installing drivers - everything is ready to go.

Yeesh, I just can’t see backing up to multiple discs. Too many potential points of failure.

I haven’t used anything except hard drives for backups. Oh, and one Blu-ray BD-RE disc a [B]long [/B]while back when I was still using Windows 8 instead of 8.1. It was only meant as a stopgap measure though.

I should probably erase that, since it isn’t relevant anymore. I wonder if its any good still? Probably…those Japanese made TDK BD-RE discs were pretty good for re-recordable discs.

For system back-ups, I’d suggest using Aomei Backupper Standard Edition (freeware) to a portable usb hard drive.

thanks for the reply’s helpful information!

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2754470]Yeesh, I just can’t see backing up to multiple discs. Too many potential points of failure. [/QUOTE]

I don’t plan to go back to discs for this .
I will keep the sets I already have on DVDs.
I had a recent restore on a HDD at the time which I went back to after this.
I restored my Vista to it’s out of the box state about 4 years ago from the backup DVDs.
I was testing to see if this would allow detection of a DVD recorded in -VR mode . BTW it didn’t .
The set burned about 2007 worked then at about 4 years old.
Then I restored it back to the recent backup from an external USB HDD.
I certainly recommend the latter . If you really want to make sure alternate backups between two different external HDDs .