Making a 1:1 Backup (Literal Clone)

vbimport

Dear Club MyCE,

The big problem these days is that nobody seems to be able to create 1:1 copies of games, as a result people are resorting to cracks and copy protection emulation software (i.e. DAEMON Tools).

Now, is it possible to create a literal 1:1 backup of a PC game including the unique copy protection information which is stored on the disc? I hear much of this data is stored in the sub-channel of the disc.

So, with the correct combination of hardware and software, would it be possible? Surely it must be possible. Or is the only way to literally buy a $100,000 pressing machine?

Kind Regards,

Zonchord

Anyone know?

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2549448]So, with the correct combination of hardware and software, would it be possible?[/QUOTE]Partially possible with Safedisc-, SecuROM- and Starforce-CDs - though they’re no [I]1:1[/I] copies.

Regarding DVDs the big commercial protections have special physical characteristics that can indeed only be pressed - not burned, hence there’s need for some kind of emulation.

Thank you Terramex. So basically the answer to making 1:1 copies of PC DVD games is no due to physical characteristics.

I have been able to make a 1:1 clone of my game dvd but that involved using two software to accomplish the task though. As for the new new games I will give that a try when I buy one that is to come out Oct 19 and then I give that a try and see what it comes up with.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2549529]I have been able to make a 1:1 clone of my game dvd but that involved using two software to accomplish the task though. As for the new new games I will give that a try when I buy one that is to come out Oct 19 and then I give that a try and see what it comes up with.[/QUOTE]

What are these two peices of software? And if you made a 1:1 backup i take it you didn’t need to use a crack or DAEMON Tools?

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2549724]What are these two peices of software? And if you made a 1:1 backup i take it you didn’t need to use a crack or DAEMON Tools?[/QUOTE]

Those would be something that wouldn’t help if used anyway. But I use Anydvd HD with CloneCD and that has been able to work making a 1:1 backup of my older game that had securerom on it the game was NWN2 and expansions. It drove me up the wall not being able backup a important game that I could scratch the game disc and have to buy a new one. At least this way I can use the backup and keep the original safe…