MakeMKV problem

vbimport

I just installed MakeMKV for the first time on Windows 7.
I won’t work.
I do have it on my Vista HDD & the last time I used MakeMKV in Vista it worked. I haven’t yet rebooted into Vista & installed the newest version to see if it is still working there.
I get this error in W7:
makemkvcon.exe has stopped working

These are the images of the errors:

Not a common problem. There are probably more people using MakeMKV in Windows 7 than any other operating system. My backup computer has Win7 and MakeMKV works there.

You can get the crash dump file by following these instructions: http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html
You’d need to send that in for analysis.

I did as you suggested & sent MakeMKV a dump file .
The instructions on their site worked fine.
I don’t know how much they will know about me & my OS now.
The Dump file was 566MB before compressing.
Surprising that it compressed to 22MB .

Of course I just sent it so no information back yet.

I booted into my Vista OS (same computer different harddrive).
I uninstalled the old MakeMKV .
Then downloaded & installed the newest version.
Opened it & put in the new key.
Then I tried the same movie I was using in Windows 7.
The conversion went fine.

I also use the same antivirus & malware programs on these two OSs’ .

I didn’t have MakeMKV installed on my laptop which has Windows 7 64-bit .
I rarely use my laptop for conversions.
To test I installed the latest MakeMKV & it worked fine.
So far I haven’t got an email back from MakeMKV about the dump file but I did send it on the weekend . Maybe I will get something next week.

It might take them a while to analyse things but you’d like to think they contact you anyway if there’s going to be a delay.

[B]Wombler[/B]

As far as I am aware, there is only the author of MakeMKV who does that type of support for them, and he does it in his spare time. It isn’t a full time job.

It is one of the disadvantages to using MakeMKV…

I just hope the author of MakeMKV can tell what the problem is.
Since he does this solo it might be a while.
It’s not like I don’t have a way to use it if I need to .
It’s just a lot more convenient if it works on the OS I use most of the time.

Which version of the program are you using? Version 1.9.3 had some issues on some systems (it affected me on a win 7 system) where, for example, the program would hang, especially with blu-ray back-ups. The problem was solved, at least for me, with version 1.9.4.

Change log for v. 1.9.4-

“MakeMKV v1.9.4 (12.6.2015 )
Added workarounds for BD-drives and USB-SATA chipsets with incorrect SCSI protocol implementation
Bug fixes:
Transcoding of multi-channel and 16-bit FLAC audio could still fail
OS X: Restored 10.6 compatibility broken in 1.9.3
1.9.3 Regression - program could hang using 100% CPU (almost always in backup mode, rarely in MKV mode).”

@ philamber , As above the latest version which is v. 1.9.4 .
It gives the errors in the images I posted with all files I’ve tried.
So not a problem specific to blu-ray .

I decided to send a new dump file since it had been 2 weeks & no reply from MakeMKV.
I realize the author is doing this alone & I appreciate the effort .
I would at least have liked some response by now .
At least an I’ve received the e-mail & was able to download the dump file.
That way I know it was received other than just the e-mail was received somewhere.

It didn’t return a Mailer-Daemon so I assume it was .

I downloaded & installed the new version just posted today.
I’m still getting the same error messages.
So for me MakeMKV hasn’t been fixed.

This is what I received in an e-mail from the author:

I’ve downloaded the file, but the first analysis shows that nothing bad has happened and makemkv did not crash, at least the crash info is not in the dump file. I’ll continue to look.

I don’t know what the author calls a “crash”.
As soon as MakeMKV is ran the first error comes up & nothing can be done with the GUI.
Then after a minute or so the second error appears .
When “OK” is selected the GUI closes.
This means absolutely nothing could be done with MakeMKV.
I call that a “crash”.

I’m not trying to “bash” MakeMKV.
I’ve been able to use it with my Vista OS so far.
It would just be easier if I could use MakeMKV on my Windows 7 since it is my main OS now.

Last my Windows 7 on my desktop is a 32-bit.
Maybe that is the problem since MakeMKV worked on my laptop Windows 7 64-bit.
All of my computers have the same anti-virus & malware software.

[QUOTE=cholla;2757550]Last my Windows 7 on my desktop is a 32-bit.
Maybe that is the problem since MakeMKV worked on my laptop Windows 7 64-bit.[/QUOTE]
I doubt that since the program works fine on both my 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 systems.

[QUOTE=philamber;2757553]I doubt that since the program works fine on both my 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 systems.[/QUOTE]

I know that a lot more people use the 64-bit version so that was a guess on a reason. Since it works for you on a W7 32-bit it must be something else.

I had to use 32-bit because my Skype to phone adapter only has 32-bit drivers available. It lets me use a regular cordless phone system with Skype.

My best guess is I have some software that conflicts with MakeMKV.
I would like to know & I might uninstall it. I’m not going to uninstall several till I find the one just to get MakeMKV to work in W7. Since I can use it with Vista. I only use it occasionally anyway.

cholla I was see if you help me. I bought a new dell computer and moving everything went find to I installed makemkv. I purchased a key about 3 years ago and when I go to register it its says registration code is incorrect. I have sent 2 emails to support@makemkv.com in the last 3 days but they have not got back to me. Is this the right email for support or do you know how to help me. I have done the same thing I have always done was to copy & paste there key is so long it is hard to do it manual Thanks

[QUOTE=thewolfe;2778146]cholla I was see if you help me. I bought a new dell computer and moving everything went find to I installed makemkv. I purchased a key about 3 years ago and when I go to register it its says registration code is incorrect. I have sent 2 emails to support@makemkv.com in the last 3 days but they have not got back to me. Is this the right email for support or do you know how to help me. I have done the same thing I have always done was to copy & paste there key is so long it is hard to do it manual Thanks[/QUOTE]

Have you tried posting your issue on their forum? After you are on their forum send a PM to Mike Admin http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/index.php?sid=8192485d5dcd935c884c0e8716e6e84d

@ thewolfe ,
I’m only a casual user of MakeMKV .
I’ve only used the “free in beta” version.
For it I use this link to the key:

This is where the actual key is:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

As you can see from this thread MakeMKV hasn’t always even installed for me. After a couple of new releases it is now working again with Windows 7 .

I searched for a contact & came up with the same one you have.

I would follow alan’s advice & see where that leads.

There was a time when I always either donated or bought a licence to all freeware that I used if I thought the program was good enough to buy. This was the case with MakeMKV and I purchased a license. It installed fine on Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

thanks Alan 1476 for your help I sent him a pm like you said he got back to right away thanks